Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Australian Language

21 Sep 2009 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar
Is there any truth to the rumour I heard which says that McDonald's is actually pronounced "mak-kas" in Australia??
  • 21 Sep 2009 patchie89 said

Default_avatar

haha, well we do say mcdonalds too, but we like to shorten things so maccas is good. haha if u are coming here and u think that maccas sounds funny, then u will find lots else funny too and probably wont have a clue what someone is on about at times.lol

• 23 Sep 2009 PinaI said

PinaI

Mmmmm, Maccas…HJs, Nandos…

Are you heading this way Curtis? You’ll love it!

• 23 Sep 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!

took me forever to call french fries: chips and ketchup: tomato sauce.
    then i came home and had to train myself to say it the other way once again

• 10 Dec 2009 TashD said

TashD

wow if you think Maccas is strange –wait till you meet the real aussies who have a nickname for everything and anything!!! Smiler<!-graemlin::)—>
    Aussies luv to make things short and easy!

• 11 Dec 2009 Mel the aussie said

Mel the aussie

lol deary me its strange coming from australia to think about our language as different haha but he was some weird words…

check out this web sight http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html its the aussie slang dictionary… keep in mond alot of people dont use all of these words but alot of bushies do lol

n for aussies its funny to look at and see the words u use but didnt know they were particulary aussie slang… i did this in gr 10 n i was like haha so funny

• 12 Jan 2010 Kaznagan said

Kaznagan

lol i agree with mel it is strange to think our language is different. but wouldnt change it for the world!! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

i bought an australian slang book at an airport for my american friend and she loves it. also it helps me becuase when we talk i dont have to explain what every 2nd word i say means.

• 23 Jan 2010 Danki said

Danki

gday mate, how ya goin? It’s not a load of bull that us aussies are too slack to say all words properly, so yer we have maccas instead of mcdonalds. our dunnies also flush in the opposite direction than in the northern hemisphere…and im sure all the aussies out there will be happy to sit back with a middy of beer or a glass of plonk and give cheers to our great country! You beauty!

Hehe

• 21 Feb 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

Whoa Danki over exaggerate much haha! I think I saw that slang book it’s great! it’s so funny cause there’s some words in there you don’t even think of as slang but apparently they are lol

• 6 Apr 2010 Andrea B said

Default_avatar

Hey Danki,
    Speaking of middys of beer… how big would a middy be? Or a schooner?

~A

• 7 Apr 2010 JenShep said

JenShep

Hey Andrea

Middy can mean different things, 1 strenght (ie mid-streght) 2 amount ie(285 ml(10 fl oz)) Usually amount.

a schooner is usually 425ml(12 Fl oz)

Each state has some differences.

• 21 Apr 2010 calabreseboy said

Default_avatar

“Maccas” is just slang. Like “Mickey D’s” in North America.

• 27 Apr 2010 BlackBagsi said

Default_avatar

In Germany we say Macces, too. Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 23 Jun 2010 Lana:) said

Default_avatar

thats so funny that macca’s is like slang.
    being an aussie i suppose you just dont notice it.
    you will have a ball if you are coming out here, you’ll pick up on some funny little slang words Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 11 Dec 2010 EatPrayLove said

EatPrayLove

Pretty much just shorten (or lengthen?) any word and you’ll be right! Actually, when you think about it, there isn’t really much logic to it…it just is.

For example:

Gazza=Garry
    Shazzer=Sharon
    Servo= Service Station
    Loo/Dunny/Toilet=Bathroom
    Sheila=a woman
    Traino=train station
    Bomb= an old crap car
    Barbie= barbeque (BBQ)
    Snag=sausage
    Piss= beer
    Slab= a case of beer
    Bottlo= bottle shop

• 14 Dec 2010 kristy said

kristy

haha thats so funny, i use things like traino and servo.
    gotta love the tv show ‘Kath and Kim’ tho, the australian one that is NOT THE AMERICAN. it makes fun of us aussies to the extreme.

• 17 Jan 2011 Lana:) said

Default_avatar

It was funny when i did my European tour last year the Americans thought we were hilarious, and i had to explain what words like ‘arvo’ meant cos they hadn’t heard it.
    we pretty much shorten any work we possibly can =D

• 8 Mar 2011 FITZY!! said

FITZY!!

LoL Lana I had the same experience with my American mates on our Euro tour.
    Funniest moment was when I said “Yeah, she’s a Ranga”
    My American Friend (Cali Accent) “You Aussie’s, you shorten everything. What’s a Ran-gur”
    “A read headed person”
    “Short for?”
    “Orangutan” ROTFL

• 8 Mar 2011 EatPrayLove said

EatPrayLove

lol I think you may have to be aussie to get the ranga thing?? I dunno.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.