Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Possible help with keeping the Contiki Cough away....

23 Feb 2008 bec said

Default_avatar
A few years ago I was given something called Buccaline Burner, its a series of pills your supposed to take before winter to boost your immune system hugely and reduce the chances of getting flus etc. its 7 pills, you take one the first day,two the second and four the last.
Ive taken it for the last two winters and it has been amazing! i even worked outside for a whole winter and didnt get sick once.
so im not sure if it will ward off the contiki cough but im sure as hell gonna be taking it for the third (new zealand) winter so im HOPEFULLY all iron-immuned up for my trip in august Smiler

just thought id share that - from pharmacys in new zealand and ive heard its avalible world wide

*heres hoping no contiki cough* Big Grin
  • 24 Feb 2008 Dale_1986 said

Dale_1986

its important to take a multi vitamin, and/or a c group vitamin, not only to keep the contiki cough away, but to keep you running after very little sleep and big nights on the booze. also, start taking them a couple months before tour starts,

Dale

• 26 Feb 2008 Blood said

Default_avatar

All 49 people on my tour got the contiki cough, no matter how much they rested to try and avoid it! My friend was taking those vitamins and they didn’t help her! I suggest just taking it like a champ and try to fight it off until you get home and if a bit more time to rest!

• 26 Feb 2008 Stefanie said

Stefanie

I am going on a 10 day Contiki next week..is this “cough” more common on the longer trips where the temperature is warmer?

• 26 Feb 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Hey Stefanie I’d say yes on the longer trip. Mine was a 10 day trip and only one person got really sick twards the end of the trip.

quote:
    It’s mainly the hot days and then getting back on the bus with the A/C. All you can hear on the bus is cough, cough, cough, spit
    Thats the key right there. From going going going in the sun then shoved onto a freezing cold bus for who knows how long.

I didn’t get sick on my tour or had a cough. I also took airborn and CoQ10 (a month prior to the trip)as well as L-Lyceen which is an amino acid. Also using a saline nasal spray and eye drops every couple hours is a huge help. Your general health before you leave is also a huge issue while you are on vacation as well. I work in a dr’s office and get loads of free advice. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

This is basically what my dr told me.

Exposure to extreme heat(activity) and cold(bus/hotel) is bad for your immune system! Not to mention the urge to crash after a long flight. Don’t give into jet lag! Breathing recurculated air in an airplane for 15 hr is usually where people pick up bugs from. Most people are sick with in the first several days because of the bad/dry reused air on air planes.

As far as your tummy goes…You know what your stomach is like! Just because you are on holiday don’t treat it differently(don’t eat like its your last meal), if you have a sensitive stomach and tend to stay to a certain type of diet, try and do the same when you are on vacation. Err on the side of caution; you do not want to ruin a great holiday because you have eaten something you would never have tried at home. Some people are lucky, they seem to be able to consume anything and everything, others are ill by looking at a different food. You may feel brave by trying something different, but sometimes you are better by being a coward and enjoying your stay.

If you have a sensetive stomach like I do I take Acidopholis pills which your stomach produces naturally but decreases over time. The only down side to the better brands is that it has to be refridgerated because its a bacteria. The more parts per million the better. Can also be found in milk and cheese.

Hope that helps. Sorry if that was too much info LOL!

• 20 Aug 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Hey guys,

I currently take Inner Health Plus (that good bacteria MJ mentioned) but I didn’t think I could take them on tour because like MJ said, they have to be refrigerated. Someone mentioned in another post somewhere that they took theirs with – how is this possible?

Thanks!

• 20 Aug 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Thanks Praha!

• 21 Aug 2008 Explorer1088020 said

Default_avatar

even try cantoloupe, kiwi , apricots(which will also provide fibre)
    these contain more vit c than oranges,and they taste better.Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 21 Aug 2008 Explorer1088020 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by bec:
    A few years ago I was given something called Buccaline Burner, its a series of pills your supposed to take before winter to boost your immune system hugely and reduce the chances of getting flus etc. its 7 pills, you take one the first day,two the second and four the last.
    Ive taken it for the last two winters and it has been amazing! i even worked outside for a whole winter and didnt get sick once.
    so im not sure if it will ward off the contiki cough but im sure as hell gonna be taking it for the third (new zealand) winter so im HOPEFULLY all iron-immuned up for my trip in august Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

just thought id share that – from pharmacys in new zealand and ive heard its avalible world wide

heres hoping no contiki cough Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

-Make sure to check the expiry date before you take them. (time flies)

• 23 Aug 2008 kimmygeorgie said

Default_avatar

My tour was 24 days and I was lucky to escape the dreaded Contiki cough. I took multivitamins but that was it. One of the girls on our tour went to the doctor prior to leaving and was given a script of antibiotics just in case. She needed them!

• 23 Aug 2008 cah0902 said

Default_avatar

I have an iron immune system… seriously. I get sick.. what? Once every 5 years? Like everyone in my family will get sick and I’m the only one who doesn’t catch it. But that doesn’t mean I won’t catch anything. I’m gonna go to my doctor, make sure I’m up-to-date on all my vaccinations, get a flu shot, and just eat well. shrug Should be pretty easy.I’m probably gonna bring cough drops, ibuprofen, and hand sanitize with me or buy them in London. Hopefully that’ll be enough.

• 23 Aug 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Good luck!I have taken multi vitamins before and still got the contiki cough!I find it funny now!Everytime I travel with contiki I guarantee I will get sick!

• 25 Aug 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

On one of my tours I think i got my cold on the airplane, since I was sick the 2nd day on tour.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion