Community_discussions_small  

Comment

New York Stopover

4 Nov 2006 Rell said

Default_avatar
Hi There! I hope someone has some great advice. I have approx 5 hours in transit in New York before taking off to London. I want to know whether anyone thinks that is enough time to see a bit of New York. How good is the subway from JFK and what is the shortest amount of time one needs to check in for international flights? Can anyone recommend a great place to visit, time permitting?
  • 5 Nov 2006 PinaI said

PinaI

I think you need to check in about 2hours before your flight so that takes care of most of your time in NY. You might be able to make it out for a while although, by the time you get to town and get off the subway you’ll probably have to start heading back. If you could make it a longer stop-over then I’d go for it, but I’m not sure with the time that you have.

• 7 Nov 2006 82ADZ said

Default_avatar

I’m pretty much the same as Rell, although my time is not so rushed, I am arriving in NY just before my North by North East tour in Aug 07. Basically I only have one full day in NY and 2 nights. What are the best attractions to see mith my limited time budget…..?

• 8 Nov 2006 PinaI said

PinaI

If you only have one day then I would say get a ticket for the hop-on-hop-off tour buses and go round all the loops! These buses really are the best way to see all the main attractions and sights and get all the happy snaps you possibly can.

The only problem with the tours is that you might not get a chance to actually visit all the sites (because there are so many) and if it’s peak season and you get off the bus, sometimes it takes a while before you get back on.

There is no way I can tell you which one attraction or landmark to pick over another. Each person would have their own list of must sees and in NY that list, for me, was endless. I was there 9 days and still didn’t get a chance to see it all!

Lines are killer in NY…we went to the Empire State and had a three-hour wait ahead of us. Needless to say we left and went back first thing in the morning! It also took us the best part of half a day to get over the Statue of Liberty, check it and get back so allow time for things like that.

Also, with Statue of Liberty BIG NOTE: You have to ring up and book your place to climb Liberty the day before you want to go over. I got my ticket to go to Liberty Island as part of the Hop-On-Hop-Off bus tour of NY and that DOES NOT include the ticket to the top of Ms Liberty herself. Just a word of warning there!

hope this helps, if you have any more questions, just let me know.

• 10 Nov 2006 Tara T said

Default_avatar

Only 5 hours in NY is cutting it very close. If you are at JFK, it would take a good 45 to an hour to get into the city on the train each way. Unfortunatly, the airport there is quite far from Manhattan and I feel that you would miss your flight to London if you attempted to go into the city. You should stay extra if you can b/c NYC is like no other city!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion