Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Sep 22nd to Oct 11th 2008

23 Mar 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar
Hey guyz,
Now I am absolutely freaking out because bout this trip as I have never ever done anything likes this before…I’m like the most boring 21 year old I swear cause all I do is work, Rarely go out so work and sleep is pretty much all I do.
But I have planned this trip for something exciting…going on my own so I’m already holding my breath and goin blue in the face with fear.
I’m from Australia and would like to know what the plane trip is like to London, not really a fan on flying and I have never been on a plane longer then an hour and a half haha so I’m in for a shock….plus when the plane stop for change over or re fueling is it possible to get lost at the other air ports when finding ya next plane.
What happens when ya get to London…where do you go from there? I would be like yeah cool made it here now what am I supposed to do haha find a bar for a drink I’m sure that will come to mind but yeah…
Any who will head off and leave yas to it…any one have any tips please feel free to share and care lol
Thanks for your time
Nikki
  • 3 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Hey guys I’m going to book my Moulin Rouge tickets soon. Haven’t decided if I’m going to do dinner and show or just show yet… probably just show as I think that I’ll be able to find a nice restaurant with good food cheaper.

I’m not sure how it works… if any of you guys are iterested, whether we pick out own tables or what… I might email them and let you know! Let me know if you are interested at all though.

• 3 Jun 2008 laura021 said

Default_avatar

hey jess

id so be keen but iv heard that the tour manager deals with booking tickets and stuff but i dont know

• 3 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

hey laura

The optional excursion for our tour is Nouvelle Eve so that’s the one that the group will be going to. From what I’ve read on here Moulin Rouge books out months in advance which is why I thought I’d book soon (also why they can’t take us as a group!).

I figure if I’m going to Paris I’m doing the real deal. But there have been good reviews on Nouvelle Eve too so it’s personal opinion really. It’s a lot cheaper hehe.

• 4 Jun 2008 laura021 said

Default_avatar

i see id say they will be much the same right? but bascily paying for the"name"

• 4 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Nouvelle Eve was UNBELIEVABLE – according to our tour manager it’s better than Moulin Rouge – Laura’s right, thats what our guide said, you just pay for the name. And do the dinner, it’s totally worth it, good entertainment.

• 4 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

I think it might be a personal preference thing. Anyway I got an email back from the people at Moulin Rouge and if we don’t have dinner we can still get our tickets separate and sit together if we wish. But that’s cool if you don’t want to go, won’t matter when tickets are bought.

• 4 Jun 2008 laura021 said

Default_avatar

thanks jess thats cool ill have a good think about it Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 6 Jun 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

haha im really starting to feel so stupid you guyz know so much bout this trip and im like hmmm i have no idea…im soooo going to be that dumb blonde on bus hey….haha no offence to anyone else that is blonde but serously i am soo stupid haha

yes credit card i think imma gonna have to get one i didnt really want to cause i feel like i have already got myself in debt already haha stupid car loan lucky i love my car or i would be pissed hey!!! but i guess i would rather have the extra cash to get through my trip thats for sure lets hope i can get one is all i can say!!

yes packing light i think im going to struggle but i will try very very hard!!!

so whats with this bookin stuff in advance…im a little confused with it all so we book before we leave and how so do we do that haha dame. lol i have been doin some research but im thinkin you guyz are way so much advanced then me haha. see i havent really had anyone tell me what contiki is like other then fun booze and sex thats alll everyone tells me no advice dame my friends haha

gotch ya passport yet jess???

and steve got any more great advice for a very very nervous first timer!!!

anyways guyz i hope your all well and good :-)

• 7 Jun 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

by the way guyz are use using a suit case or one of those large back pack things….haha im doing research yay hahah

but yeah ppl are saying the back pack things would be better but i dunno suit case so more organised

• 7 Jun 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

OMG i just saw a picture of the bed bugs!!!!

LIKE EWWWWWWWWWW…..jess i didnt think you were serouse when you said bout the silk liner to keep the bed bugs out im so getting one now….i hate bugs and spiders and anything creepy crawly

• 7 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Haha Nic, don’t worry we were all first timers!

No real advice, I went in May and used my sleeping bag on 2 of the nights only, if I was going again i’d take a sheet instead – just easier. Don’t worry about the bed bugs, the linen on the beds get washed before you arrive, and the accommodation is really clean the whole way around, unless you have a stoned naked couple doing it in the room I was given in Amsterdam haha!

Backpackers bags were popular, but remember to take an overnight bag, because on the 1 night stops you leave your suitcase on the bus.

As for pre-booking stuff, we didn’t book anything. All the optionals are given at the start (I did everything) and that was enough for us. Tip though: book accomm for after the tour in London before you start the tour – its painful trying to organise it on the trip.

You will have a blast – trust me. New friends, experiences and memories that will last forever! Enjoy Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Hey Nikki!

First thing, don’t stress! It will be fun. I’m only going to book Vatican tour and Moulin Rouge but you don’t have to do that – you don’t have to book anything if you don’t want to!

Haven’t got my passport yet, expecting it on Tuesday Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

As for the credit card, I’m not actually going to use it as a credit card. I’m going to transfer my money onto the card, and just use it as a normal debit card really. It’s just cheaper to use than a normal debit card.

I’m going to get a suitcase. I’ve been debating about this for ages but I’ve decided. I’m getting one on wheels (obviously!) that has the two compartments inside, so you can seperate stuff.

I’m still using a sleeping bag liner! I can use it on it’s own if it’s a hot night too then. Steve, don’t you think it’ll be a bit cold in Sept/Oct for us to just use a sheet? You were there in May, just coming into summer so guessing it would’ve been warmer.

Catch yas!

• 8 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Well yeah, probably. It was spring for us, and the temperature was just nice. August is right in the middle of summer, so should be nice for you guys too in Sept/Oct, but maybe a sleeping bag would be an idea.

Either that, or just keep warm by drinking more :P

• 8 Jun 2008 laura021 said

Default_avatar

hahaha i think ill use both a sleeping bag and alcohol Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 9 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

Oh I have no doubt you will. Haha.

• 9 Jun 2008 karlsgirl said

karlsgirl

hey guys! wow its been so long since ive been on here… i had so much reading to catch up on! dont worry nicki.. i feel just the same as you.. im so unorganised at the moment! im pretty sure im going to get a visa debit card to take with me along with a bit of cash!
    i will definately be taking a power board coz between the 2 of us we will have e few things that use power!
    i have 4 days off work this week so i am going to get stuck right in and start getting myself organised!

• 9 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar

Hey Jess, welcome back lol! yes we have been busy Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Some of you guys have probabloy already read about a NAB gold visa debit card on one of the other posts on here – seems pretty good to me. Only $12 per month fees and free overseas transactions – that mroe than makes up for the $12 account fee! So that’s a good option if you don’t want to take credit card…

• 10 Jun 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

hey hey!!! jess and jess hmmm confusing hey!!!
    ive been doin lots of readin the past 2 days haha my eyes are sore!!! jess i will look into that NAB as i currently bank with them so i shall pop in and see if they will happly give me a credit card haha fingers crossed!!! hehe
    anywho i dont have any questions lol i just wanted to say hi haha im addicted to this site haha
    take care =-)

• 10 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by NicSta:
    hey hey!!! jess and jess hmmm confusing hey!!!
    ive been doin lots of readin the past 2 days haha my eyes are sore!!! jess i will look into that NAB as i currently bank with them so i shall pop in and see if they will happly give me a credit card haha fingers crossed!!! hehe
    anywho i dont have any questions lol i just wanted to say hi haha im addicted to this site haha
    take care =-)

Hey Nikki, it’s actually not a credit card which is why I suggested it coz I think you mentioned earlier that you don’t want to take a credit card. It’s a debit card with a visa function. I just think it’s good because you can set it up before you go (they suggest a month before so that you can make sure it’s working properly) and you’ll only pay say 2 months of $12 in fees for it if you close it when you get back. Apparently you have to ask for the “gold” function as it doesn’t come standard – but that’s the part you really want coz it’s what gets you all the free transactions.

Good luck!

• 11 Jun 2008 NicSta said

Default_avatar

haha sorry jess i really am an idoit…sorry i missed that part must have been reading to quick..i do have one of the nab visa debit cards that your talkin bout but its not a gold one so will look into that too thankyou so much for correcting me…lol i just have had one of those weeks were everything is just not goin right
    thanks again!!! =-)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.