Community_discussions_small  

Question

Call or receive calls from Australia in Europe hotel room?

5 Mar 2007 fiona-2007 asked

Default_avatar
Hi,

I will be going on a timeout tour to Europe this July.

I saw on some discussions that I could use either Ekit card or ‘European Union Calling Card’ to call back Australia (Sydney). Can I make those phone calls from the hotel room that I stay? How much is the average charge for the phone calls from the room?

Can I also give my family/friends the phone number of the hotel I am staying and get them to call me? Do I get charge for receiving phone calls?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Fi
  • 5 Mar 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

I would definitely give your hotel number to your family and get them to call you. If you’re taking a mobile with you you can sms them when you get in and tee up a time that way.

If you call home from your hotel, even with a calling card, you will be charged a fee from the hotel and some of the fees can be pretty high, worse than calling direct!

Although my European tour was 6 years ago now I remember that the only place I could call home from for a reasonable rate was Mt Pilatus in Switzerland.

The last time I went to Europe (last year) most of the hotels charged a fee to use the phone so it wasn’t worth it for me to call home. My parents ended up calling me on my mobile and paying the bill at home that way. Thank God for email and msn now, much easier and cheaper to keep in touch that way!

• 5 Mar 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I will be going on a timeout tour to Europe this July.

Nice, you’ll have a good time.

I saw on some discussions that I could use either Ekit card or ‘European Union Calling Card’ to call back Australia (Sydney). Can I make those phone calls from the hotel room that I stay? How much is the average charge for the phone calls from the room?

Sure you can use the hotel phone, but I’d stick with a pay phone for outgoing calls. EU Calling Card has toll free access and no connection fee Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->. I used it for my trip so I don’t know how much room originated calls are. Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

Can I also give my family/friends the phone number of the hotel I am staying and get them to call me? Do I get charge for receiving phone calls?

Sure you have my permission to give your friends/family of your hotel phone numbers Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->. Coordinating phone calls may be a little difficult since you’re not going to be in the room all that much. I don’t know if you’d get charged. I imagine not, but ask the hotels when u get there.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Fi

You’re welcome.

-Vic

• 5 Mar 2007 fiona-2007 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

Thanks very much both Pina and Vic.
    It has been very helpful.

I think I will bring a mobile for SMS and get my family to call me from Aus for long conversation. (If I don’t get charge much from the hotel).

Fi

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion