Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Money Belts

17 Sep 2009 Nickee said

Nickee
I am doing the Grand Canadian Jun/Jul 2010 tour.

A friend has given me a money belt to wear under my clothes.

Is it something I will really need?
  • 17 Sep 2009 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

Tourist town in Canada is not as bad as say Naples or Barcelona, but still, you can never be too careful.

Being alert and aware of your surroundings is better for you than any money belt or security luggage.

• 18 Sep 2009 Nickee said

Nickee

Thanks!

I hope I won’t look to nervous while out and about Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 20 Sep 2009 gig08 said

gig08

I agree with Curtis… be aware of your surroundings, and you shouldn’t have any problems.

I currently live in Ontario but spent a few years out west in tourist towns and actually didn’t notice too many people using money belts… Honestly, if you’re careful (ie. don’t leave your purse laying around a bar/restaurant/store etc etc etc) you will probably find yourself not using the money belt (all of the time at least!).

• 21 Sep 2009 Pervy said

Pervy

Hi i’ve done 5 contiki tours, 4 in the US and Canada and have never used a money belt and not had a problem. Like everyone has said just be careful. Off topic a little a girl on my last tour was dancing in a club in new Orleans and put her purse on the floor as girls do. It wasn’t till she was almost back at the hotel in the taxi that she remembered she had left her purse behind. She returned to the club and her purse with everything still in it was right where she had left it in the middle of the dance floor.

• 22 Sep 2009 Nickee said

Nickee

All your responses are making me feel more confident Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

I’m not the sort of person that puts things down in new places, so I guess I’ll be ok.

Might just pack the money belt, just in case Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 22 Sep 2009 toddt85 said

Default_avatar

My brother went on a trip to the UK and Europe last year for 4 weeks and he took a money belt… I think he said he wore it like once and never again… just too much of a hassle to use… and you look more obviously like a tourist using one than if you didn’t. I might take his, but I doubt I’ll end up using it! Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->

• 6 Jan 2010 Mark D said

Mark D

hey i went on a European contiki..uised a moneybelt for one day then never again, although it became a wonderful running joke on our tour Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 7 Jan 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

I have never used a money belt when I’ve travelled purely because they’re a pain lol it’s very similar to home though, I mean you walk around town here with a handbag no problem at all..why should it be any different elsewhere? Just be aware of whats going on around, use your common sense and you’ll be fine Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 29 Jan 2010 SthOzLad said

Default_avatar

I’ve been to the US twice, both times a month long. The first time I took a money belt because I was a little unsure of how it would be in terms of travelling alone and hearing stories of muggings etc. I was totally fine and found it more of an inconvience than anything. The second time I went I didnt use a money belt and it made me feel more comfortable than when i used one. Though the 2nd time I had a debit card and didnt take as much cash as the first time.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion