Community_discussions_small  

Question

Luggage & Bubble Wrap on Planes?

31 Mar 2007 *CAT* asked

Default_avatar
Has anybody heard of this? A friend mentioned it to me and im curious. Im am travelling through Thailand and apprantly lots of people do it? How much does it cost and is it done at the airport?
Cat
  • 31 Mar 2007 PinaI said

PinaI

I haven’t heard of bubble-wrap but yes, I have heard of having your suitcase covered in like a shrink-wrap type stuff. It’s like the plastic that is used for pallets of stock. I’ve seen it at some of the major airports (like Heathrow) but we don’t have anything like it over here yet.

I’m not sure how necessary it is if your suitcase is properly locked but, having heard of all the potential possibilities (drugs in asia, theft etc) it might be a good option if you want to rest easy.

• 31 Mar 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

I know there’s one at Melbourne airport near the international check in area.
    Also, I cant remember the name of the company who runs it (sure you could find it if you searched), but if you go to their website you can print off a discount voucher – not that it really costs that much to begin with!

• 3 Apr 2007 r4v3r said

Default_avatar

I think it’s about $8.00 to glad-wrap your bags… haven’t been to the airport for a year, so maybe more, but i don’t think it’s more than $15…

• 4 Apr 2007 *CAT* said

Default_avatar

hey r4vr3, Have you had your bags wraped b4? I presume it is done b4 check-in? Wow that is quite cheep. do u recommend it?

• 4 Apr 2007 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Sure … if your luggage is on its last legs and/or you’re paranoid.

• 5 Apr 2007 bellyk said

bellyk

I had my bag wrapped when I went to the USA in 2005. It was a bit of a hassle getting it all off at the other end cause you’ve got nothing to cut it with!
    I’d only use it again if I took a big back pack that had straps hanging everywhere just so they didn’t get caught on anything.
    I’m sticking to my trusty padlocks!

Oh and for anyone thats reading this and is travelling domestically in the USA make sure you have the ‘travel sentry’ locks on you bags and no other, cause otherwise the security people will ask you to remove them.

• 17 Apr 2007 r4v3r said

Default_avatar

Hey Cat,

Haven’t done it before.. seen it being done and yes it is before check in. They basically sit it on a turnstile thingo and then spin it and wrap it with the plastic.

here’s the website:

http://www.visitvictoria.com/displayObject.cfm/objectid…BF55EFAFFE/vvt.vhtml

ps forgot to mention it has prices on there… note prices are ‘from’ so minimum is AUD$9.00.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.