Community_discussions_small  

Question

Grand Southern (starting in LA) -- suggestions?

18 Jun 2013 Kelsey asked

Kelsey

Hello all,

I am looking at booking the Grand Southern trip for mid 2014. I will be travelling solo on my very first Contiki trip! Does anyone have any suggestions on best time to go? Things to do/see? Is this too long or just right?

Cheers,
Kelsey

• 18 Jun 2013 Crawf33 said

Crawf33

Hey Kelsey

I did the Grand Southern from LA to New York in the northern summer of 2008. I was 22 and travelling solo but by about day five, I was travelling with my 49 best mates in the world.

I had booked my New York accommodation well before the tour started and figured that by the time we got there I’d be sick of living in people’s pockets and keen to have my own time. I was so wrong. Many of my tour-mates and I ended up spending the next week in New York together and were inseparable.

It was my first (and only) Contiki and I had a blast. At times I thought I was gonna die of chronic hangover but I gave it my all to do a lot of sightseeing too, and I think I did all but one or two of the optionals (which I’m sure are different now, five years later). I reckon there was the perfect balance of big cities and small towns, and some of the best nights out ended up being in the little stopover one-night towns in Nowhere, Colorado. Looking back, 26 days seemed like a LONG time but I wouldn’t have wanted it to be any shorter.

I prefer cooler weather myself but I’d definitely do it in the summer months so that you have plenty of daylight to explore in. I think a couple of the optional extras hinged on the time of year too so that’s something to consider.

I’d love to do the Grand Southern again even though I know I’ve seen it all before. Enjoy it!

• 15 Aug 2013 Nats1702 said

Nats1702

Hi Kelsey! I have not done the Grand Southern, but am also looking at going around July next year and am also traveling solo!! :) It looks/sounds amazing!

• 21 Aug 2013 Kylee said

Kylee

Hey Kelsey

I did the Grand Southern Aug 2012 and also went solo. It was one of the best and most amazing times of my life. You will soon make 40+ new friends from the get go. Our group started a Facebook page before the tour started so we also got to know each before the tour start which was great because you start the tour at least knowing some people a little.

I strongly recommend this tour and hope you have a blast!!!

• 13 Sep 2013 kittykat said

kittykat

Hey Kelsey,

My very first Contiki “09” the Eastern Discovery was the second half of this trip/tour. Don’t worry about being solo on the tour cause the whole bus is pretty much solo and by the end of it you will all be friends.

I went in May and found it to be the best time as its just nice weather not to hot not to cold good mix of both.
    It’s not to long for your first trip. Just go with the follow don’t plan anything cause you will meet new friends and plan your days/free days together. Save as much as you can for the extra options as they are good and worth it.

You will love Contiki don’t worry about what people say. I have done nine Contikis. I did two in May “09” and have just come of Seven Contiki’s (China,Europe and USA) Around The World for three months. Best time of my life.

I have even today just booked the Grand Southern for May 5th of next year with a few people that I meet on the Grand Northern from this year.

Take the time to enjoy everything you see and the people you meet and let Contiki worry about the rest. Never know we could even be on the same tour.

Kat

• 8 Oct 2013 annabel_walsh said

annabel_walsh

Im going solo for this trip just booked yesterday!!! 26 june one :)

• 18 Feb 2014 Jason said

Jason

Grand Southern JULY 17 ’2014…… Anyone else =)

• 18 Feb 2014 Loren said

Loren

I booked this tour for June 9th :) also my first solo trip. Can’t wait!

• 20 Feb 2014 misslee2324 said

misslee2324

Im booked on the 25th of August, starting LA :)

• 23 Feb 2014 Emily said

Emily

I’ve booked this tour 4th September leaving la!! :)

• 24 Feb 2014 Rhonda said

Rhonda

Booked the 7th of July tour. Cant wait.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion