Attention all Forum Users.
We’re working on a brand new shiny tool to make your experience as simple as possible.
Which means the community forums is now read only whilst we work on a new & improved ‘My Contiki’ space.


To purchase insurance of not to??

21 Dec 2009 ozziebabe88 asked

I'm only travelling to NZ from Perth (AUS) is there really any need for me to get insurance, i did when i travelled to Europe and it was a waste of time....what are anyones opinions on this?<BR><BR>Cheers, Amy.
  • Read the responses 6 responses so far
  • 23 Dec 2009 Rach said


    From Someone that works in Insurance, and has also had to use insurance from 3 holidays that went horribly wrong, I would say to take something out, even if only a basic policy.

    But, here are some things to check out first.

    Do you have home and contents insurance, or if you live with your folks, do they? Some Home Contents Insurance Policies actually cover you for accidental loss or damage of personal items, while you are away from home, and for a small period while you are overseas.
    They cover things like clothing, cameras, ipods, luggage, sports equipment, glasses, toilettries, GHD’s etc etc.

    For Australians, we are covered under a reciprocal agreement for some emergency medical treatment and hospitalisation, but again, check that out to make sure, either with your doctor, or on a government website.

    I got caught out with not having insurance about 6 years ago when I got mugged. I lost everything while in the middle of Bulgaria. Not good.

    Since then I have made sure I have insurance. I have used it to get reimbursed for a cruise I took where weather forced the cancellation of the tour. The cruise company would not refund the trip, stating they couldn’t control the weather, so would not accept responsiblity for lost costs. I have claimed for a accomodation and meals because my flights were delayed and I was stranded. I have claimed because my eardrums burst why doing extreme sports. I could not return back to Australia by plane, and was shipped back (very nice, extra long holiday, all fully paid by insurance)

    If you are not worried about possibly missing your flight, getting injured and not being able to continue on the trip, getting sick, getting mugged, or anything like that, then don’t worry about it. I learnt the hard way, so I wouldn’t go without it.

    Also, I said I work in Insurance. I look after claims where people lose things or have things stolen at home and away from home. You would be surprised what you can claim for, and how bad it is when you get customers on the phone that beg you to help them becuase they got drunk, lost or damaged something or whatever, only to have to tell them they didn’t take out insurance, and that it is too late now. Depending on who you insure with,it doesn’t cost much.

  • 23 Dec 2009 ShezL said


    It’s only a waste of money if nothing goes wrong and you don’t need it.

    But I think the odds would be stacked against nothing going wrong, so I’ve taken insurance out. Mine cost 150 and it covers everything… from something happening before my trip (eg. broken leg or family death) resulting in me not being able to go, to flight cancellations medical and lost items.

    If something DOES happen, can you afford to “fix it” on your own?

  • 24 Dec 2009 ptooma said


    If you are form the UK or Australia, you only require insurance for trip cancellation/interruption. But this is generally bundled in with comprehensive trip insurance.


    Medical insurance

    We recommend that you have comprehensive medical insurance for the duration of your visit. If you are from the United Kingdom or Australia, you will get the same immediate medical coverage as a New Zealand citizen or resident, thanks to our Reciprocal Health Agreements.…visitors/default.htm
    - Vic

  • 27 Dec 2009 ozziebabe88 said


    Ok thanks everyone for your imput ill look into getting basic cover Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

  • 27 Dec 2009 ptooma said


    For more guidance, also have a look at:…ealand#Health_Issues

    - Vic

  • 28 Dec 2009 NaHdz said


    I’m a Travel Agent in Aus and we ALWAYS reccomend our clients take out Insurance. We’ve had people say no I don’t plan on getting sick bla bla but how can you seriously know that.

    Imagine being in a foreign country, close or not, and have your passport and money stolen, or falling over and breaking your leg or even dropping your camera..all those things are covered by travel insurance and you can get assistance in country if you don’t know what to do. It’s peace of mind, I never leave the country without it.

We are no longer accepting new responses to this discussion thread.

More Discussions

Related Discussions

Discussions Details

Last response about 8 years

This question was posted about 8 years ago. It has been discussed 6 times.

5 people are following this discussion.

  • ozziebabe88
  • NaHdz
  • Default_avatar
  • Default_avatar
  • Rach



Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.