Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Stopover Bangkok alone...need comfort!

30 Mar 2007 Samantha247 said

Default_avatar
Hi everyone, I am travelling alone for European Panorama in August, and the only thing really bothering me is the flight to and from London, as I have to stop over in Bangkok and get a connecting flight 4 hours later. Is this easy to do and easy to find where I have to be, in a non english speaking country? I will be by myself and have never travelled before! Thanks for any advice Smiler
  • 29 Mar 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

Samantha is asking for advice. Have you ever heard the expression there’s no such question as a dumb question? It’s a simple enough question that any traveller could be worried about, no matter how seasoned. It’s something she’s never encountered before, so she’s doing the smart thing and asking advice so she’s prepared. It hardly calls for such a rude answer.

Samantha, are the flight numbers for each leg the same? If this is the case then you just hop off the plane while they clean it and refuel etc, then get straight back on. If not then make sure you know the flight number for your next leg but they should tell you what you need to know. Your checked baggage you won’t need to worry about until London. As for language, being an international airport and English being a major international language, many staff, if not most, should speak it. Hope that helped!

• 29 Mar 2011 Explorer1147179 said

Default_avatar

I agree with Lindsey above, not cool ‘expert traveller’.

In addition to what Lindsey said..

I have been to London and Bangkok many times, so hope this helps :). First thing, 4 hours is heaps of time between flights so there is no need to worry. It is easy to do. Your boarding pass for your flight/s will have flight numbers on them. There will be one boarding pass for the flight from Australia to Bangkok, and another for the flight from Bangkok to London. The Bangkok airport is a relatively large one but that is not a problem. You look at the screen and find your flight..ie it will say the flight number, time, destination (London), and gate number. Sometimes flights may not show on this screen until 2-3 hours before a scheduled time so don’t panic if you don’t see your London flight the moment you get into the airport (by the way it is a connecting flight so you will be in the departure area the entire time which means finding the gate even easier). Bangkok has all signs in English translation and I can confidently say that 99% of the people in the airport (100% of staff) will speak english. As Lindsey said as well, not to confuse you, connecting flight means you don’t worry about the luggage you have (not the carry-on, the stuff you put in the luggage compartment of the plane when you check-in in Australia).

So, have an awesome trip. I am jealous lol :). Enjoy.

• 30 Mar 2011 emma.g. said

Default_avatar

• 30 Mar 2011 emma.g. said

Default_avatar

• 31 Mar 2011 Hasin said

Hasin

Damn Expert Traveller you’re going all out on this aren’t you? I sort of see where you’re coming from but to answer the original question, I was in Suvarnabhumi Airport about a month ago or so for 9 hours and basically, if you’re afraid of getting lost, don’t be. If you’re afraid of being bored, theres free internet and cheap restaurants with kick ass food everywhere and to top it off, duty free shopping. It’s actually one of the more “modern” Airports that I’ve been to. I’d almost compare it with KLIA.

• 31 Mar 2011 Hasin said

Hasin

.. just steer clear of Jakarta International.

• 1 Apr 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

There was nothing in the original post that suggested she wanted people to bend over backwards for her. She just wanted a little advice!

• 1 Apr 2011 Explorer1208130 said

Default_avatar

for someone that is supposed to be an expert traveller you sure don’t have the people skills………….

• 2 Apr 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

If this conversation is about people knowing more than other’s then why are you complaining? Samantha247 recognised that other people would know more than her about this topic so asked for advice. That’s what the Contiki forums are about – a friendly place where you can get information from people with experience so that you can expand your own knowledge about the trip that you are going to undertake.

Samantha probably hasn’t replied because she’s been turned off the experience because of the rudeness and condescension you displayed. Yes, there will always be people who know more or less than you do. It is whether you are willing to accept that and accept advice or offer help that defines you. No one has disputed your knowledge on the subject, though you haven’t actually provided any advice specifically applicable to the question. What we are disputing is your rudeness and bullying towards someone who recognised their inexperience was brave enough to ask for help.

• 2 Apr 2011 Chrisd said

Chrisd

Pretty much all international airports have staff that can speak multiple languages fluently so language shouldn’t be a problem. You can also use different currencies in the airport so you shouldn’t have any problems. All you need to do is ask around for which terminal your next flight leaves and then get to the terminal with plenty of spare time.

4 hours isn’t too bad of a wait, one thing that I learnt over the years is always keep your personal belongings in site and don’t look away for a split second. A while ago I had a leather bag & all my goods inside stolen while I was putting something into another bag, so be very very careful!

When abouts in August are you leaving, Sam? I’m heading over in late August for a tour on the 26th.

• 2 Apr 2011 whythetorment said

Default_avatar

“Samantha247 hasn’t responded once”

Maybe it’s because the question was posted in 2007 and you all are fighting over a 4 year old post..

• 2 Apr 2011 Lindsey said

Default_avatar

Bahahaha!! Well, I’m observant …

Thanks whythetorment!!!!

• 6 Apr 2011 EatPrayLove said

EatPrayLove

OMG how funny!!

• 6 Apr 2011 whythetorment said

Default_avatar

LOL, i see all "ExpertTraveller"s post was deleted..

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.