Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best way to take cash?

28 Sep 2009 Explorer1098237 asked

Default_avatar
Hi I am in the process of figuring out how to take my cash to europe with me.

I looked at travellex cash passport (which i have used before in bali and found the fees a little excessive) and i was going to just get this again. But then I went into commonwealth and they seem to have a better deal with the travel money card- no charging for using card at a shop, flat fee to put all cash on and better exchange rates. and you can load x amount of euros x amount of pounds so you can lock in the rate.

I was just wondering if anyone had used either of these and what they thought about them? Thanks for your help Smiler
  • 29 Sep 2009 Stacey88 said

Default_avatar

My parents are currently overseas in europe atm and they are using the commonwealth card, so when they get back in a week or so ill ask them what they thought of it.

• 29 Sep 2009 PinaI said

PinaI

I normally just use my everyday credit/debit cards and wear the fees. It’s not usally that much compared to the cost of a 4-5-6 week holiday!

I haven’t checked in a while but, the National Australia Bank used to have a gold visa card which did not charge fees for use overseas and also, Wizard had a similar product. Might be worth checking them out too.

• 29 Sep 2009 cassie_lea said

Default_avatar

I looked into both the travelex card and any card like it that banks might have. I went with the commonwealth card beacause unlike and of the others you can put more then on currency on it, which is good since i want both euro and pound on it. That and the fees arent that bad

• 22 Oct 2009 Louise said

Default_avatar

I leave for my tour next wk & im going with the commonwealth bank travel money card. it sounds really good! $15 once of fee & you can load heaps of cash on it in different currencies, then you just use eftpos to buy stuff & theres no fees. you can monitor it on netbank too

• 23 Oct 2009 Bunnie said

Default_avatar

I would go with one of the banks money cards, just check all their fees & conditions. I have not looked into which is the best as yet.

For example, If u hav money left on ur card when u come back they will transfer it back to AUS dollars at the rate of exchange when u 1st got it.

Others will exchange it at the current rate, so u could b gaining or losing out.

I don’t recommed the visa debit or ATM cards, visa debit have up to 45 days to take the money out of ur account so u may think u hav more money then u do if they hav not redeemed the purchase & a lot of people get caught out this way with penalty fees.

ATM cards hav an overseas withdrawal fee plus the exchange rate fee

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion