Community_discussions_small  

Comment

European Experience - 8 April 2011

14 Oct 2010 Sammy_1004 said

Sammy_1004
Hello!!

I'm going to book to this trip as a 24th birthday present to myself Smiler i've been wanting to travel for years so why not spend a birthday overseas?
This will be my first contiki, first trip overseas and first solo adventure so i'm feeling pretty excited and nervous!

Have a few questions:
  • How much cash should you bring?
  • Is it best to arrive 1 or 2 days before the trip start date? I'll be travelling from Australia.
  • Is it best to use a suitcase or a bag?
  • What will the weather be like over there at that time of year?
  • What are some things I should know to ease my mind?

Any help would be much appreciated!

And if you are going on this trip please let me know!
    • 20 Oct 2010 Kris_CAD said

Default_avatar

Hey Sammy! I did the same thing this august for the same tour, and it’s definitly worth it! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

So knowing the tour fairly well Wink<!--graemlin:;)-->, what you shold do is plan a budget, and I highly suggest that whatever your budget is – double it. I had a certain amount for spending money… and yeah, that plan went out the window haha (so many little things you never thought of will come up, like taxi rides, treating yourself in the city like gelatos, and esp. alcohol! lol)

Definitly arrive a few days before the tour, just to rest up and get over the jetlag (I flew from Canada and my jetlag wasn’t too bad but I did enjoy the extra days to just relax/look around England)

Personally, I liked the suitcase, it’s easier to organize your things Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> But there are a few stairs during the trip and then thats when the suitcase sucked, lol

In april, it all depends because it’ll be different between countries. There are many websites that informs you of ‘typicle’ weather in each country. I normally just google them Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Hmm, bring a lock for the suitcase and a money belt is so important! Esp. in places like in Amsterdam (the hotel you stay there is in a very sketchy neighbourhood, and 4 peeps in my group got their passports/laptops/cameras stolen from the hotel room itself…broken the door off its hinges!)

OH! when you’re in Rome, don’t fall for the Roman ‘soldiers’ by the colosseum! They will insist to have your pictures taken with them for ‘free’ and at the end when you got your photos, they demand for 10euros EACH person and will not let you leave until you coughed up your money! Even their ‘boss’ comes up to you to make sure you pay up (yeah, me and a few fell for those guys, haha)

Don’t hold back, try to do many of those excursions, take LOTS of pictures, and make the best of it, it’s absolutly amazing! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

Kristina

• 31 Jan 2011 Shona said

Default_avatar

Hey I’m goin on the same trip I’m also from aus, im 22 and first trip overseas ! I will be in London on the 5th so if u get in early happy to look around with you !

• 15 Feb 2011 Sammy_1004 said

Sammy_1004

Hi Kirstina – Thanks for your post. I’ve thrown all thoughts about budgeting out the window so i’ll just try to save as much as i can, which is probably the best option for me :-)
      i’m getting more and more excited as the date comes closer. i don’t have a suitcase yet so i better get onto that soon!

Thanks for the tips about Rome and Amsterdam too, they’re really helpful :-) i’ll keep them in mind

• 15 Feb 2011 Sammy_1004 said

Sammy_1004

Hi Explorer1217020 – not too sure on what my arrival date will be yet but i’m glad i’ll be touring with a fellow ozzie :-) definately have to catch up before the trip. I’ve been given so many tips on places to visit in London and have no idea how i’m going to see them all.
      Fingers crossed the jet lag isn’t too bad. I’m going to try and get my plane sleeping habits to follow the UK times as well as i can so i have more time to explore London and not waste my time sleeping.

Which hotel were you staying at before the Tour starts?

• 16 Feb 2011 Explorer1233979 said

Explorer1233979

Hi…just thought i’d pop in and say i’d be joining you guys on the trip…Can’t Wait!!! Would be great to chat before hand as am heading off on my own!!

• 17 Feb 2011 Shona said

Default_avatar

Hey il be at the Royal National… i know there is so much in London i wanna see and not enough time, I think il just do a few tours, I really want to go london dungeons and the jack the ripper tour.. bit boring on my own though.
      Explorer1233979 will you be in london early?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion