Community_discussions_small  

Question

Tasmania?

31 Aug 2009 Irelandfan asked

Default_avatar
I´d love to see Tasmania, but there is no contiki tour. Has anyone been there and could recommend anything? Thanks!
  • 1 Sep 2009 patchie89 said

Default_avatar

I live there. I live in Burnie on the North West Coast. Most people come here and only see Hobart, which doesnt really give u a full picture of Tasmania. If you like nature and the wilderness you should come.

You can fly into Hobart or Launceston on Qantas, Virgin, Tiger or Jetstar and into Devonport on Qantas or Burnie on Rex. All from Melbourne, a few flights from Sydney. Prices are pretty reasonable. Or you can take the Spirit of Tasmania, which leave Melbourne and goes over night (day crossings in summer) to Devonport (NW Coast). Type that into goolge if u are interested.

Once here you would need to hire a car or do a tour. There are no contiki tours but there are some tours, mainly with older people on board though. You will need a car as bus is only public transport.

I would recommend you see hobart and go to Cadbury chocolate factory, travel down to port arthur (where the convicts went) and go to salamanca market on a saturday morning.
    Also on the east coast go to Coles Bay, its beautiful and you can walk to Wineglass bay (maybe you know this it is famous).
    Launceston is Tasmania’s second largest city and if you go here visit the Gorge.
    On the West Coast you can go to Strahan and do a river cruise, or a train ride, through the wilderness.
    And do not miss cradlde Mountain. You can stay here in a range of accommodation and do day walks around the lake, up the mountain.

I recommend at least a week. People think they can see it all in 3 days, but you cant, because lots of the roads are windy and take a while to get to places like Coles Bay and Cradle Mountain.

SUmmer is the nicest weather, maximums between 20 and 30 degress. spring or autumn or too. Winter is cold and places like cradle moutain may be impossible to get to due to snow.

Hope this helps. Google some of it for more info maybe Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 2 Sep 2009 Explorer1098237 said

Default_avatar

I live in tassie and it is fantastic but I wouldn’t bother coming here if I was holidaying in Aus. It depends what you want to do. If you have a week or two and a bit of money I think it would be awesome but if you come here for a couple nights I think you would be disappointed as all the things to see are a while out and are usually historic or nature type things if you are in to that.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.