Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Planning a Canada Rockies trip next summer -- and questions, questions questions!

16 Nov 2009 mercurius said

Default_avatar
Hello everyone:

This would be my first Contiki trip, and I most likely would be doing it alone. It would also be my first vacation alone, so I'm a bit on the tense side
For anyone who has done the 10 day Western Canada trip (Banff, Whistler, etc), I have questions:
1) How much money am I looking to spend, besides the price of the vacation package and airfare?
2) How are the Canadian Rockies during the summer? (climate is it lively or is it calm season?, etc)
3) This question has probably been asked a million times, but....I'm 32, within the 18-35 range, but probably older than average. Would I stand out much?

Thanks in advance!
  • 16 Nov 2009 Pervy said

Pervy

Hey, I did the longer 12 day trip this year that went to Calgery for the stampede. Great tour. Very beautiful.
    Q1 I took $1000 Canadian with me but I put the optionals on my credit card. I didn’t spend all my money. I would say take more just to be on the safe side if you can.
    Q2 Weather was all over the place. I went end of June start of July and had a little rain, a day where it snowed and some quite hot days.
    Q3 I was 36 on tour and the age thing wasn’t a problem. It was my 5th contiki and I think this tour had a lot more older people on it than my other one so I wouldn’t worry about age.

• 18 Nov 2009 sanrionjb said

sanrionjb

I’m also thinking about the Canada and Rockies trip (possibly the June 5 departure). I’ve never been to these places so I’m no help in answering the weather and money questions, but this past Sept I did a Contiki trip in America and had an awesome time. I was nervous before I went since I was traveling alone and I was afraid I would feel old (I’m 29, will be 30 by the time the Canada one would roll around) but age wasn’t a problem at all. There were a lot of people younger and older than me. I hung out mostly with people in their late 20s- early 30s, but I became great friends with some of the 21, 22 year olds as well. And I didn’t spend much at all while on the trip- I guess a lot of that had to do with the fact that we were in the middle of nowhere most of the time and I’m not a big drinker.

• 22 Nov 2009 Squishy said

Squishy

hi! Im planning to do this tour June 19th,
    any hints and tips?
    Im traveling alone so am totally terrified Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> xx

• 23 Nov 2009 AlbertaGirl20 said

AlbertaGirl20

Actually, Alberta is not too bad price-wise compared to the rest of Canada. We have no PST, and only 5% GST. Ontario has about 7% GST and 8% PST, so you’re paying very little tax in Alberta. Weather wise, in the Rockies you should always be prepared for cold weather – it can get very cold at night, even in the summer. I live in Edmonton, which is a few hours from the mountains, and it can get down to like 2 degrees at night, even in August. So yeah, pack summer clothes, but make sure you have at least a heavy sweater or two as well.

• 8 Jan 2010 codykool said

Default_avatar

I also live in edmonton make sure you bring a raincoat/windbreaker, and BUG REPELLANT!!! For money you should being around 70$ Canadian per day, maybe more or less depending on how much you want to do and what you want to buy. Like AlbertaGirl20 said IT GETS COLD at night and in the early mornings especially in the mountains. Don’t forget to bring a pair of jeans or two but shorts will probably be what you mostly wear.

• 16 Jan 2010 Yeti!!! said

Yeti!!!

I have to agree with you guys from Edmonton…
    I’m from Calgary, and sometimes it can be blistering hot in the day, but it really cools down in the evening. And bug spray is a MUST, freakin’ mosquitoes!!
    You will have a blast! I go to the mountains like every weekend, as its only an hour away from here, so beautiful and fun to explore! If you go on the Icefields Parkway (hwy 93) be prepared to take tons of pictures! Most beautiful drive I’ve ever been on!!!

• 5 Mar 2010 daisymay said

Default_avatar

doing this tour on may22. travelling from ireland so would love to hear from anyone else going around this time

• 1 Jun 2010 micky-mck said

Default_avatar

hello there,
    doin this trip with my girlfriend on 19th june and were from ireland. it will b r 3rd contiki and was wondering who all is going on this 1.
    the last 2 contikis were great and im sure this will b no difference.

• 4 Jul 2010 Melanie said

Melanie

awesome tour, did it last year! soooo beautiful. Don’t worry about age generally ppl are in their mid 20’s to 30’s for this one! I did grand northern after it that way go in eastern canada also plus usa!

• 29 Oct 2012 david22 said

Default_avatar

Canada is good to visit .Many best places in Canada to visit.one of the best place in Canada is Toronto.If you plan to visit Toronto get the special discount flights to Toronto from London visit http://www.dearflight.co.uk/cheap-flights/london-lon/toronto-yyz.aspx.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion