Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Grand Southern Winter (Jan-Feb) Tour - Clothes advice

7 Nov 2008 amylou said

Default_avatar
Hi guys,
Im starting to think about what to pack for the Grand Southern tour im going on in January (24th). I have heard that some parts of the US that the tour goes to is freezing while others are quite warm.
Im trying to make a list of what to pack and think layers is probably the way to go but wondering if anyone has any opinions regarding how many shoes and also about clothes to wear for night time (going out clothes.. mainly Vegas and NY i guess - dressy places)..especially as it will be winter!
  • 7 Nov 2008 gig08 said

gig08

Hi Amylou- I did the GS last year at the same time, and it was tricky figuring out what to pack! There was a snowstorm at the Grand Canyon, but I was wearing skirts in Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia!

Layering is definitely the way to go! I brought a variety of tops, a few hoodies, and then one spring jacket and one dressy winter jacket (pea-coat style). I also brought one pair of ‘dressy’ dark jeans along with another pair which worked out fine. I brought one dress, a few skirts and a pair of black capri pants that all worked for going out. Vegas was warm enough to wear a tank-top out to the clubs.

For shoes, I managed to survive on a pair of flip-flops (thongs), hiking boots or good runners, and a pair of black ballet flats. I was able to wear the black shoes with everything anywhere, and they were dressy enough for nights out. They were also comfy for walking around. There wasn’t any snow in NYC for the first few days we were there, but a huge storm hit on the day we departed (flights were cancelled) so I’m not too sure what is more typical weather- to have snow or not…

We did make a Wal-Mart stop before the cold weather so people had a chance to pick up things they hadn’t brought. I would consider packing longjohns (long underwear) as well as hat, mitts and scarf- these items were pretty well out-of-stock when we went shopping.

Hope that helped a little Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> If you have any more questions let me know!

• 14 Nov 2008 amylou said

Default_avatar

thanks heaps gig08!

did you have the need for a waterproof jacket? trying to decide if i should bring one or not or just bring a warm jacket/coat and then a hoodie.

i cant believe about the snowstorm in NY.. did u get stranded at the airport?? did u have flights booked for home that day?

thanks for all ur clothes advice.. very helpful.. its so hard to know what to take especially when there is a weight limit.

Off topic, do u remember where you stayed in Raleigh and about how long you were there for (ie what time u got there and then left again?) I have some friends there and was going to organise a dinner catch up but unsure of where we will be staying..did u do anything with the contiki group in Raleigh?

Also, what did you guys do in Dallas, its my bday there when we go and wanna do and go someplace fun!

Hope these arent too many questions for ya!

• 14 Nov 2008 gig08 said

gig08

Hey Amylou!

The spring jacket I brought wasn’t waterproof…and from what I rememeber we didn’t really run into rain so it worked out fine. As for something weatherproof it’s up to you- The weather is so unpredictable!

I was lucky enough to have a flight out late in the day, so the weather did not affect my flight.. but it did everyone else’s I knew who were flying out! It was a bit out of the ordinary Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Unfortunately I don’t remember where we stayed in Raleigh- but I do know we got in late that day due to construction. There was nothing really planned (i did laundry!) for the night- the group just went bowling. Sorry!

In Dallas I believe they normally try to take you to a country bar (which was booked for a private function the night we were there). It happened to be the first ever Mardi Gras parade the night we were there, so we went to that..and then to a bar called the Walrus (i think!) . It was tons of fun!! I’m sure you’ll have no problem having a great birthday in Dallas- It’s a great city- AND you’ll know and be comfortable with the people on your tour by then, so everyone will celebrate with you Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

If you have any other questions feel free to e-mail me at gig_day@hotmail.com!

• 23 Sep 2012 Jay said

Jay

I’m doing this tour at the same time in 2013, so thanks for all the tips guys!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion