Community_discussions_small  

Question

Ultimate Europe, Greek islands or Egypt option?

28 Jun 2013 Sean asked

Sean

Which would you recommend? the few extra days along the islands of Greece or a few days in Egypt on this tour? My heart is set on doing the Ultimate European in May or June of 2014 but cant decide between the two options. Let me know if you had done either, which you heard was better, or which you plan on doing? Thanks

• 9 Jul 2013 Heather said

Heather

EGYPT!!!!! Best trip of my life.. tour guide was amazing, and Egypt its self was amazing!

• 14 Jul 2013 Emma said

Emma

Hey! I’m pretty sure you messaged me on my post not too long ago about the UE & I can’t remember if I gave you this but someone has given me this link to a travelogue from someone who did this tour with the Egypt option: http://www.davechallenger.com/ultimate-european.html

I read it & even though it’s a from a few years ago I think the tour would be very similar.
    Have a read of it. It really swung me closer to Egypt.

If you’re planning on May/June next year hopefully Egypt won’t be what it is currently. Hopefully everything would have died down & anyway, Contiki would never take people on a tour if it was unsafe :)

• 30 Jul 2013 marievvv said

Default_avatar

I disagree with Emma. Keep it safe and choose Greek islands.

• 7 Aug 2013 rachaelnhunt said

rachaelnhunt

I’ll be going on the Ultimate European + Greek Islands Aug 21, so only a matter of two weeks or so. I chose the Greek Islands because I have always dreamt of going to Santorini and I haven’t regretted it once! But at the same time, I think doing the Egypt option is still a good idea. Just do a Greek Island Hopping tour after it’s finished, that’s something I’ve heard others suggesting.

• 20 Aug 2013 umkirstn said

umkirstn

I did the Greek Islands in June and I had the most amazing time ever. I wish I’d never done it so I could do it all for the first time all over again. Met the most amazing people, fantastic food, the tour guide Baden was brilliant, I danced every single night and I relaxed and laughed with my new friends during the day. Every time I looked around I felt this overwhelming sense of good fortune, I felt so incredibly lucky to be there, it was paradise and all kinds of beautiful. I could not recommend the Greek Islands more I’ve barely been able to think about anything else since I’ve been back home.. in fact I’ve already decided to go again next year! ( I’m not the only one from my tour ready to go for round 2 of the Greek Islands, so might see you there!)
    If you want to go somewhere with the perfect balance of relaxation and world class partying the Greeks have got it down to a fine art my friend. Go to Greece! You won’t regret it!

• 26 Aug 2013 Kylie said

Kylie

Definitely will be embarking on the UE to Egypt in ’14. Ditto Brad! “YOLO

• 21 Oct 2013 Teyernan said

Teyernan

Hey Sean, I’ve booked the Ultimate European with Greek Islands for 29th June next year :D

• 1 Nov 2013 Kate said

Kate

Hey Sean! I did the UE+Egypt this March, right around the time that all the unrest was stirring up. Your tour group will do all of Western Europe together and then the “Egyptians” and “Greeks” will split off and come back together again in Athens a week (or so) later. If you’re like me, the Egypt option isn’t even an option, it’s an easy decision, regardless of the unrest. It is a very intense experience though. The whole tour is fairly physically demanding, but the Egypt leg is earlier starts (one of our coach times was 4.30am from memory), later finishes, hotter/dryer conditions, not really a party/drinking experience at all and at times the food will not agree with you. It happened to almost every one of the people in our group. It’s 100% a cultural experience. Our guide, Khaled, had organised everything we needed for it to being an amazing and enjoyable time, but it was by no means a ‘holiday’. When we were reunited with our ‘Greeks’, we heard about sleep ins, late nights out partying and earning shirts in drinking contests, and beaches etc. It makes a lot of sense for people to want the time-out/relaxation week in the middle of what is an already full on adventure, but if you want to make the most of your tour and you are interested in Egypt, definitely do it! I felt a little unsafe in Cairo, but our tour guide took all the precautions to make sure we were perfectly safe. The overnight train ride to Aswan is rough, like… really rough. But once we were in Aswan, then also in Luxor and Hurghada, I didn’t feel all that unsafe at all. Don’t be surprised if you have to pair up with a female traveller though, as they recommend all the women have a ‘contiki husband’. I used mine a couple of times, someone tried to buy me for 100 camels. Haha!

If you have any questions, let me know! I don’t mind helping at all! :)

• 7 Nov 2013 Emma said

Emma

Hey, have you decided what trip you are going to do/booked?

• 7 Nov 2013 Kylie said

Kylie

Hey Guys, I’ve booked the UE + Egypt for 13th April :)

• 8 Jul 2014 Erin J said

Erin J

I am looking at doing this tour in 2015. What did everyone think?

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.