Community_discussions_small  

Comment

mailing items home

26 Jun 2010 Paul said

Default_avatar
I'm going to be doing the european discovery in sept, and I plan on getting alot of souvenir's that I wont have room to carry. Since I've never been out of the US, I was wondering if anyone knows if its a good idea to mail breakables home (i.e. wine, beer steins, etc.), about how much it costs, how long it may take, and if there are any other things I need to know (i.e. best places to mail from).

thanks!
  • 26 Jun 2010 AstroPhys said

Default_avatar

You might want to give more details like where you home city is. Shipping can be very expensive, you would probably be shipping from the last city you will be in before going home. I would look into seeing how much taking an extra bag home on your flight would cost. You can probably buy an extra bag for really cheap and then just take it home with you. I had no problem with bringing back glass items and beer steins. If you are shipping back wine you need to check what customs and forms you will have to fill out. Finding and sending things back by post may be somewhat time consuming.

• 28 Jun 2010 Meaghan said

Meaghan

I sent 6.2kg from Amsterdam to Melbourne, Australia and it cost me 56 euro. I think if you had more than 10kg you had to pay well over 100 euro.
    Post office said it should take about 8 days. I shipped mine 11 days ago but im still waiting..
    Also with steins I just got the shop in St Goar to post mine. They charged 40 euro for 2 steins. But it could take up to 6 weeks to receive. Probably would be much cheaper to just post yourself

• 29 Jun 2010 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

Our tour manager recommended doing what Megz did and post and packages home from amsterdam as it is quite expensive in london. I even had the post office in london try and talk me out of posting so much stuff home, but I didn’t have a choice as it would have cost a fortune in excess baggage.
    One of the girls on my tour ignored advice to post her extra stuff home and ended up forking out a fortune in excess.
    Shipping can take anywhere from 4-12 weeks. I think mine arrived after about a month. I sent it with the Royal Mail and both the packages were squashed flat, it was like that had been put at the bottom of the pile. I had breakables in the boxes but I had wrapped them in the clothes I was sending home so it all arrived in one piece. So make sure you pad it well if there is anything that could be damaged in transit!
    I have sent packages from china that arrived in the same condition that I sent them, yet the royal mail pulverised my boxes. Who would have though it would happen that way around!

• 30 Jun 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

How long it takes and how much it costs are directly related. I would expect minimum of $20.

Depending on what you buy you might want to consider having the place you purchase from ship for you. They’ll pack the item for you properly and probably send it via a fedex like comapany.

but if you leave a little extra room in your suitcase you can pack most of your stuff up into your clothes to keep it safe.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion