Community_discussions_small  

Question

Currency to take to Vietnam

29 Jun 2013 Sam asked

Sam

Hi,

I'm booked in the Vietnam Experience 12NOV-23NOV13

For the optional tours can I pay these by credit card,Vietnam Dong or Euro instead of USD?
Otherwise I have to exchange some USD currency

Does anyone recommend taking some USD anyway for other things? Or should VND and credit+debit card do?

Thanks,

Sam

• 6 Aug 2013 Benbdb said

Benbdb

Hi Sam,

I did the asian adventure part of this tour (finishing in cambodia) but it is the same tour managers that take a group right through from the Thailand start to Vietnam finish with people leaving and arriving at different points. As far as the optionals go USD are very much the preferred option, though our tour manager took local currency at a reasonable exchange rate. They will not however take credit/debit cards.

As I said I didn’t do the Vietnam part of the tour so unfortunately I can’t comment directly on what to take for currency outside of that. My understanding from speaking to people who did is that USD are accepted some places but on the whole you are better off with Dong.

Hope that helps,

Ben

• 6 Aug 2013 Sam said

Sam

Thanks for your response, helps allot ! :-)

• 12 Aug 2013 CharG said

CharG

I did the Vietnam Highlights tour early this year (you will have an amazing time!!!) and I initially used American dollars however like Ben said, I switched to Dong as it was a lot easier. Hope this helps!

• 19 Oct 2013 Franz said

Default_avatar

A Mixture of US Dollars and Dong.For the optionals pay in USD it makes things a lot easier.You will have an amazing time.It was my History Teacher who taught me about Vietnam all those years ago in School that prompted my love interest with this country.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.