Community_discussions_small  

Comment

London/Paris- to anyone who has gone

29 Jun 2008 YngWseWmn said

Default_avatar
Hi,
I'll be traveling to London/Paris next month. I was looking at all the Contiki lingo and wondered about "see" and "visit". For example, it says "see" the Eiffel Tower. Does that mean you drive by and that's it? Do you have an opportunity to walk it or do you have to do that at on your own time? I'd certainly not want to get all the way to Paris and drive by the Eiffel Tower with a running photo as my memory. Can anyone share insight or your experience with this tour. Thanks in advance!
  • 29 Jun 2008 helena said

Default_avatar

Hi there,

You do “see” the eiful tower as in a drive by, but depending on traffic your bus may stop and let you get out for photos etc. BUT dont worry, you have basically 2 days free in Paris to do whatever you want and the bus can drop you off at the eiful tower on your free day so you can go up it! (well thats what happend on our london, paris and rome tour)

• 30 Jun 2008 helena said

Default_avatar

HI there,

Its an overnight train leaves about 7ish on friday night i think cant remember but u have to be there like 5 i think and arrive early morning 9 maybe?? Then its a good idea to go straight to the Vatican City! Theres plenty of time on the saturday but its closed sunday. The 2 days in rome you are free to do whatever you want its not a guided tour or anything!

AFter paris everyone splits up some people go to amsterdam and others stay in paris, but there were only4 of us who went to rome and we had our own cabin on the train. was a bit small but do try and sleep and always have your valuables on you even when your sleeping Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 30 Jun 2008 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

I did London/Paris last year and we did a drive-by the first afternoon when we arrived in Paris. Then we went back the next day and were given passes to go up the Eiffel Tower as a group. We also did a group photo, then the rest of the day was free. I’m guessing you’re on the same tour and it would include actually going to the Tower along with the sights drive-by.

Have fun!

• 30 Jun 2008 YngWseWmn said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Leanne_in_Ontario:
    I did London/Paris last year and we did a drive-by the first afternoon when we arrived in Paris. Then we went back the next day and were given passes to go up the Eiffel Tower as a group. We also did a group photo, then the rest of the day was free. I’m guessing you’re on the same tour and it would include actually going to the Tower along with the sights drive-by.

Have fun!

Wow Leanne…thanks for the info. I am going in July! I am so excited. I am doing the 8-day. I didn’t extend…hopefully I won’t regret that. May I ask what excursions you did, if any? Which ones, and how were they? Any info that you could share about the trip overall would be great!

Thanks,

• 30 Jun 2008 Explorer1097301 said

Default_avatar

Helena,

How was the train ride from Paris to Rome? What time did you get to Rome? Did you have enough time to see the Vatican?

gretchen

• 1 Jul 2008 Leanne_in_Ontario said

Leanne_in_Ontario

Sure thing!

We did Versailles, Eiffel Tower, Bath/Stonehenge, …we didn’t do Moulin Rouge (too much money and I heard the show has snakes – I’m scared of snakes – haha). I think that was the only option we didn’t do.

There was one morning where we were offered a tour of the city which was in London. But my sister and I already knew what we wanted to see so we skipped that (a lot of people on our tour did). Basically it was just a drive around the city on the Contiki bus (for free). But if I were traveling alone, I’d probably go just to get an overview of the city.

A lot of the times, especially in Paris, the Contiki bus would take us to the city-center in the morning and drop us off – it saved on time and a metro pass. Although I would suggest getting an all-day pass for both the Underground in London and the Metro in Paris. The subway systems are extremely easy to get around on, and make traveling around the city so much faster.

Versailles was beautiful but we didn’t get a lot of free time. So we missed going out into the garden after because we were starving by the time lunch came. I wish we had’ve done that after the palace tour.

London is extremely small (to what you would think) but jam-packed with tons of awesome stuff to see. We totally missed regent street and bond where all the shopping is (I’ll definitely go back there next time). But my favourite part of London was the Buckingham Palace store behind the palace. We did a lot of shopping there – haha! And Costa Coffee is like Starbucks, but better! We loved that too.

Before going to a lot of the sights in London, we purchased passes in the Contiki basement. We didn’t save a lot, but some money doing it that way and I would do that again.

That’s about it that I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I’ll answer anything I can. The London/Paris trip was amazing – I miss both cities so much! You’ll have a blast for sure!

• 3 Jul 2008 YngWseWmn said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Leanne_in_Ontario:
    Sure thing!

We did Versailles, Eiffel Tower, Bath/Stonehenge, …we didn’t do Moulin Rouge (too much money and I heard the show has snakes – I’m scared of snakes – haha). I think that was the only option we didn’t do.

There was one morning where we were offered a tour of the city which was in London. But my sister and I already knew what we wanted to see so we skipped that (a lot of people on our tour did). Basically it was just a drive around the city on the Contiki bus (for free). But if I were traveling alone, I’d probably go just to get an overview of the city.

A lot of the times, especially in Paris, the Contiki bus would take us to the city-center in the morning and drop us off – it saved on time and a metro pass. Although I would suggest getting an all-day pass for both the Underground in London and the Metro in Paris. The subway systems are extremely easy to get around on, and make traveling around the city so much faster.

Versailles was beautiful but we didn’t get a lot of free time. So we missed going out into the garden after because we were starving by the time lunch came. I wish we had’ve done that after the palace tour.

London is extremely small (to what you would think) but jam-packed with tons of awesome stuff to see. We totally missed regent street and bond where all the shopping is (I’ll definitely go back there next time). But my favourite part of London was the Buckingham Palace store behind the palace. We did a lot of shopping there – haha! And Costa Coffee is like Starbucks, but better! We loved that too.

Before going to a lot of the sights in London, we purchased passes in the Contiki basement. We didn’t save a lot, but some money doing it that way and I would do that again.

That’s about it that I can think of off the top of my head. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me and I’ll answer anything I can. The London/Paris trip was amazing – I miss both cities so much! You’ll have a blast for sure!

Wow, that was packed with great info. Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> I am traveling by myself, so I’m not sure how much wandering off I’ll be doing on my own. If I think of anything else I’ll send you a message. Thanks again!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.