Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Making your way to the hotel

15 Feb 2008 daydreamer72381 said

Default_avatar
I'm going to Ireland and was wondering if I had to exchange my American dollars for Euros so I can get transportation from the airport to the hotel. Are there cabs or buses by the airport and does anybody know which hotel in Ireland (Dubln) is used?
  • 15 Feb 2008 Katrina said

Katrina

I’m confused slightly

Are you asking if a cab driver will accept US dollars? I don’t know what contiki arrange transport wise but I doubt an irish taxi driver will accept US dollars!

I’m going to Dublin for a weekend away soon Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 15 Feb 2008 daydreamer72381 said

Default_avatar

Lol…well I guess it’s pretty obvious that I’m a first time traveller. What I wanted to know was should I switch my money over to euros before I get to Ireland so I can pay to get to wherever I have to go…I’m a little nervous with the whole money thing.Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

• 15 Feb 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar

It’s good (but not necessary) to have some Euros before getting there, but airports do have ATM’s.

- Vic

• 15 Feb 2008 Mic said

Default_avatar

Getting money changed over always means you will lose some of it, as money exchangers don’t give you a very good rate. However it can be handy to have a few Euros beforehand. If not, I’m sure the airport would have ATMs.

• 15 Feb 2008 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mic:
    Getting money changed over always means you will lose some of it, as money exchangers don’t give you a very good rate. However it can be handy to have a few Euros beforehand. If not, I’m sure the airport would have ATMs.

I am assuming Melissa is arriving in Dublin Airport and it definitely DOES have a few ATM’s which probably offer the best rate.
    Getting foreign currency in a local US bank or currency exchange place is quite expensive with delivery fees and commission.

- Vic

• 15 Feb 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

If you are a AAA member you can order currency through them. But from my findings you don’t need it until you get to the airport. Just use the atm or exchange some small currency to get you by.

• 16 Feb 2008 The Mighty "O" said

The Mighty "O"

So not a good idea to get travelers cheques?

• 21 Jan 2011 JennyLeighS86 said

JennyLeighS86

What about credit cards? I am not used to carrying cash though I will do whatever I have to do, but in Ireland and Scotland how often is it possible to pay with a VISA or MASTERCARD? or is there another type of credit card I should apply for before hand instead? Or is it basically cash money only? Does anyone have any specific money tips to be sure to know?

• 23 Jan 2011 cdm115 said

cdm115

Skip the travelers cheques, they’ll eat up too much of your time getting them exchanged. Many places will allow you to use credit cards, but depending on your card you’ll pay the conversion rate and a % fee. You will need cash though, and for that the best way to get it is ATM.

• 23 Jan 2011 Brooke2010 said

Brooke2010

any one going on the 28th of May Inspiration Europe tour?

• 23 Feb 2011 styles said

Default_avatar

hey brooke yeah me and 3 of my mates are going on this tour. so pumped for it. we are all from north queensland

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion