Community_discussions_small  

Question

Jungfrau Mountain....... is it going to be cold??

26 May 2008 Cyphus asked

Default_avatar
I heard that the mountain was covered in snow year-round. Red Face I just want to make sure that I pack enough clothing to keep warm!!!

Is a sweater/ toque, jeans enough? Or should I pack something warmer??
  • 26 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Depends when you’re going but I was there in summer and I wore jeans and several tops/jumpers and I was still cold!

• 27 May 2008 Miss Jane said

Miss Jane

I was wondering the same thing…I’ll be there in August…do you think a long sleeve top jumper and jacket would be warm enough? what about gloves and scarf? Is there opportunity to play in the snow, make snowmen and stuff?

• 30 May 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

I just got back from my tour yesterday Frowner<!--graemlin::(--> and went up Jungfrau about a week ago. We got lucky and had one of the first clear days in weeks. The temperature at the top was -2°C to give you any idea. It was not bad at all. If you do the hike up to the restaurant (like 45 minutes to an hour) you get heated up quickly and might shed a few layers. Our tour driver took his shirt off during the hike. I only wore a t-shirt, hoodie, and a hat, but I am used to temperatures like that in the winter time. It depends really on when youre going and where youre from I think.

• 1 Jun 2008 lindenfan1 said

Default_avatar

I didn’t go up myself… I am from Canada and have seen enough snow and it was cloudy…

But… basically our TM told the group – Canadians will be fine – everyone else will be cold… just bring clothes to layer!

• 1 Jun 2008 Cyphus said

Default_avatar

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

-2’C isn’t bad at all, lol! Vancouver only gets to about –2’C anyway (for like 3 days every winter, if even.. lol) But, I’ve survived in -40’C, 6 mth long winters….. lol

Thankyou for the replies!!!! Smiler<!-graemlin::)—>

PS. ohhh yes… Calgary has a lot of snow.. xD kinda like Prince George weather!

• 3 Jun 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

We made a stop in Lucerne before heading up to Lauterbrunnen where we stayed and had the Jungfrau excursion. If it is not offered as an optional excursion I think it is physically possible for you to get to the top if you like but I would not have the slightest idea how much it would cost. I know from Lauterbrunnen it took an hour to get up and an hour to get down. I’d suspect it may take upwards of 2 hours each way if you go from Lucerne but recalling from the map I believe there is a train station in Lucerne that can take you up if you like.

• 3 Jun 2008 Stanga said

Default_avatar

I can’t wait for this one. Apparently, if you do one option on your whole tour, you should make it this one! My friends went last year and judging by their pics, yes it will be cold. And my mate also lost his wedding ring in the snow so wear gloves or leave things like that somewhere safe!
    Head to http://www.jungfraubahn.ch awesome website.. can’t wait to hit up the snow discs!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion