Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Spending Money

4 Nov 2009 LISAngel said

Default_avatar
Hi all
I am booked on Grand Explorer Dec 27th and my question is how much spending money should i account for (roughly) i know everyone is different but just thought id get some sort of idea.
Thanks
Lisa
  • 5 Nov 2009 ptooma said

Default_avatar

NZ can be $$$ depending on which optionals you take, more so than any other contiki destination (Euro/NA/Au).

- Vic

• 18 Nov 2009 Pippa said

Pippa

I budgeted $100 a day, some days you’ll spend it, others you won’t but I did the grand explorer and spent roughly £1400 but that didn’t include my optional extras.

• 18 Nov 2009 ShezL said

Default_avatar

Lisa, I’m budgeting $100nz a day. If you look at it this way
    if you do all the optional dinners you need to find 8 dinners for yourself. Approximate $25 for these = $200
    Lunches: 15 of these @ Approx $15 = $225
    Souvenirs = I plan on spending $20 on each of my family members and at least $100 on myself = $320
    Drinks: 4 per night (60) @ $7 each = $420 (I’m thinking this is an overestimate cause I really don’t drink that much. =)

Altogether = $1165 at least on spending money. That doesn’t include snacks, necessities etc.

So $1500 nz should be enough (for me) for the trip = that works out to be about $100 a day. Thats roughly $1200 AU and I’m doing about $1000 AU optionals (I hope).

=) I hope I’ve helped you out, or given you some clue.

• 22 Nov 2009 Jodie said

Default_avatar

I took $5000NZ. Came home with just under $1000 and I did a lot of optionals. I didn’t drink a lot though.

• 2 Dec 2009 Melly25 said

Melly25

I just did the Grand Explorer i spent about $3000. And thats doing a only a few optionals. If u do bungy, skydiving and alot of drinking i’d reccomend $5000 Red Face<!--graemlin::o-->)

• 3 Dec 2009 ShezL said

Default_avatar

Melly25 – Is that $3000NZ, AUS or US?

You didn’t do the optionals…. did you drink/go out a lot?

Thanks for the advice!!! =D

• 22 Dec 2009 Kim B. said

Kim B.

I spent about NZ$1,000 shopping. I did all of the optional dinners that were offered. When I did the walkabout dinners on my own, I spent about $50, incl drink and tip. Drinks at the pubs/bar are anywhere from $5 – $9. A lot of places offer Contiki specials. I never spent much on lunch, a sandwich or some snacks from 4 Square convenience stores (they’re everywhere!). And it depends what you do for optional activities. They cost between $24 – $300+. You have the option to pay with cash or credit card for those.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion