Community_discussions_small  

Question

Moscow starting 15th May08?

5 Mar 2008 brad_203 asked

Default_avatar
G'day,

I was just wondering if anyone is starting this tour on the 15th of May 08?
  • 7 Mar 2008 Bella said

Default_avatar

Hi Brad, I am on this tour. But I am actually starting in Riga on May 12th Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 8 Mar 2008 brad_203 said

Default_avatar

Ahhh yeah I thought the tours starting on the 15th and 12th might combine into 1. Don’t know why I chose to start on the 15h… might have to try to make a change to start with you guys.

• 9 Mar 2008 Mauz said

Default_avatar

Hey ya Brad, I’m also starting on the 15th. Yay another person – I thought I would be the only one joining onto the tour (that is if you haven’t changed your trip plan already)….

• 11 Mar 2008 brad_203 said

Default_avatar

Haha nah wasn’t able to do it with the whole russian visa thing… 15th it is

• 1 Apr 2008 Mel said

Default_avatar

HI Brad and Mauz, I’m starting on the 15th in Moscow too.
    What time are you all getting into Moscow? I don’t fly in until 1:25 in the afternoon and I’m traveling from Canada.

• 1 Apr 2008 Nick said

Default_avatar

hey gang, i am also on this tour and starting in Riga on may 12th.
    Bella, what time do you arrive in Riga? and where are you coming in from?
    i am flying in from London on Ryanair at around 10am.

• 3 Apr 2008 brad_203 said

Default_avatar

G’day Mel,
    Yeah I arrive a bit later at 3.50 in the arvo from London on British Airways.

• 3 Apr 2008 Mel said

Default_avatar

Brad,
    Are you from England? or just flying out of there? There seems to be a lot of people on the tour who will be traveling to other places before or after this tour.

• 3 Apr 2008 john said

Default_avatar

Hi

i am starting in Riga on the 12th of may, all the way to Copenhagen

I leave NZ 20th to turkey for a week tour of Istanbul and the dawn ANAZC service at Gallipoli

off to London for a few days leave London to Rig. looking to go via train leave Friday 9 may
    go via Berlin Warsaw etc end up in Daugavpils for a nite and arrive Riga sunday am

so go a few days to explore Rita, so if any one is about Rita let me know

regards john

• 3 Apr 2008 brad_203 said

Default_avatar

Hey,
    Nah I’m not from the UK fortunately… am Australian. I’m travelling for about 4 months before goin to work in canada for a year or 2.

• 4 Apr 2008 Mel said

Default_avatar

Brad: That’s awesome. Where abouts in Canada are you going? Western I’m guessing? And where are you traveling before going there?

John: Hi. Lucky you getting to do all this traveling… makes me feel like such a newbie.. I’m going to be the most unexperienced one on this tour I think!

• 5 Apr 2008 john said

Default_avatar

Hi Mel

i am making the most of my time away and doing heaps

this is my second contiki i did a eastern Europe tour a few years a go which was great

I see a few are doing the ryan air fligh in to riga my mate says its 20 quid plus tax but i want to do the train through the tunnel you don’t see much at 20,000 ft

went to the Russian embassy pick up my passport next week that was easy hopefuly the borders are the same

• 5 Apr 2008 Peita said

Default_avatar

Hi all! I’m also doing this tour, ex Riga though on May 12. Will be arriving a day earlier because it’s a 40 hour trip from Sydney Australia! I’ve already gotten one visa – my first two trips on this route were cancelled, so fingers crossed it’s “third time’s a charm”! – and it’s not that painful at all! The Embassy here said just make sure you have copies of the documents you used to apply for the visa, ie. the invitation letter in Cyrillics and the Contiki vouchers, and you will have no problems with the border. I’m 27 and this is my first vacation in SEVEN years so I am very excited and looking forward to meeting everyone!

• 6 Apr 2008 Dempsey said

Default_avatar

Hey does anyone know what sort of AC power points they use in Russia/Scandinavia? Will I be able to use the UK adapter in these countries?

• 6 Apr 2008 Mel said

Default_avatar

I don’t think you’ll be able to use the same adaptor for the UK in Russia/Scand. If you check out www.lonelyplanet.com you can check out the different destinations which will show you the pics of the power outlets. The Russian/Scandi outlets are like the ones used in France.

• 10 Apr 2008 Marlo said

Marlo

Hi John. I too, am doing this tour from Riga and will be arriving there on May 9. I’ve done a fair amount of reading up on the place and it sounds phenominal! Is also suppose to have a wonderful nightlife. If you’re interested, maybe we can try to get together at some point in Riga?

• 10 Apr 2008 Marlo said

Marlo

The power points used in Russia are the same, standard power points that are used all over Europe. The two smaller rounded prongs. The ‘fatter’ rounded ones are used primarily in the U.K. The only acception to this will be Denmark where the power point consists of a ground, making it a 3-prong. Two round and one vertical. There are heaps of places on the net to double check if you don’t know. Just look it up.

• 11 Apr 2008 Bella said

Default_avatar

Hey Nick, I am from Melbourne, but I am spending a few days in London before I fly to Riga. I am flying with Air Baltic on May 12th, but my flight doesn’t get in until 6.10pm. So I am hoping I get there before everyone meets up, for the begining of the tour that night Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 14 Apr 2008 Peita said

Default_avatar

Hey! Considering the average temperature at that time of year is between 11 and 19 degrees celcius I’m skipping the bathing suit!!! In regards to currency, if you look up the hotels on the itinerary on the list some of them even have exchange terminals at them! Particularly the larger ones in Russia. BUT it looks like most of the restaurants and clubs/bars in Russia in particularly don’t accept credit card at all. I get hit with a $3 international transaction fee as well, but I think that’s the safer bet, as well as carrying some Euro’s or $USD for an emergency as Latvia, Russia and Estonia accept them for payment/currency but the exchange rate is aweful! I’ll probably start with some L’s and Roubles and then add to it in Russia and change it out when we cross to Finland. There are some really compact money belts that I’ve found on Ebay. Looks like you are wearing a normal belt with your jeans or pants so if anyone’s looking at that option, that’s what I’m going with.

On a totally different note… I know the itinerary has an optional ballet in St. Pete’s, but is anyone on this tour an actual ballet fan? I’m planning on going to the Bolshoi in Moscow on the 16th for the Gala Ballet if anyone wants to join me!

• 14 Apr 2008 Nick said

Default_avatar

bella, i don’t think you will miss too much by taking the later flight. if you have not done a contiki before, basically the first night we all meet each other, the tour manager and driver, have dinner at the hotel, give the tour manager our insurance info, food allergies, etc. it does take a while, especially if it is a full tour, so you may walk in right on time.
    i have only found one of the hotels online, but if the hotels have pools, a bathing suit may not be a bad idea. also, finland is famous for their saunas, so perhaps our free day in helsinki could include a sauna visit…..although traditionally they don’t wear anything but a smile in finland.
    Peita, what are the details of the Moscow ballet?? time, cost?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion