Community_discussions_small  

Question

Best of USA May 2014 & Eastern Discovery

14 Jul 2013 Miss J asked

Miss J

Hey guys,

Early I know, but is anyone doing the Best of USA (start LA) in May next year? I'm also doing the Eastern Discovery in May too.

Just putting this out there early to get a feel if anyone else may be considering doing this or not :)

Thanks guys!

Jade xXx

• 15 Jul 2013 Nattjmcdxo said

Nattjmcdxo

I’m thinking of doing the April 2014 best of USA, do you know what hotel is is in LA yet?
    Also what amount of spending money are you thinking of taking?

• 15 Jul 2013 emma said

emma

Hi jade :) I am!! Pretty excited even through it feels so far away lol :)

• 16 Jul 2013 Miss J said

Miss J

Hey Natt, I think it’s the Figueroa Hotel …. I think :/ don’t take my word for it though. As for spending money, whatever I save from now until then will be spending money as I’m paying my tours off with my tax return. I’m thinking 8 grand BUT that’s because I’m doing 2 tours and will be over there for 5-6 weeks. My friend who just did the Best of USA tour took 3 grand spending money if that helps??

Hi Emma!! How exciting is it!! I have a countdown already started on my phone – how lame is that!! Which tour are you doing?? The best of USA or Eastern discovery? OR BOTH????

I’m hoping to find someone who wants to go a little earlier before the tour starts as I want to combine the LA Explorer (5 days/4 nights) with it. If I can find someone then I can do this twin share (saves me $$) AND means I’ll have a roomie to get to know before the actual tour itself :)

• 16 Jul 2013 emma said

emma

But it is so exciting! I’ve never been in a plane let alone overseas! Lol :) I am doing the best of USA starting on may 12th, I think I get into la a day or so early so maybe we could catch up before the start day for a few drinks! :) I am going over with a friend as well so we could all hang out together :) what city’s are you most looking forward to? I think Vegas and New York will be the best!! Lol :)

• 16 Jul 2013 Miss J said

Miss J

I’ve never been overseas either!! hehe another travel noob – yay!! :D

Im excited for my whole trip LOL I’ve always wanted to do Cali so I think everywhere on this trip will be amazing. Can’t wait for my second tour either!!

I think I’m going to be in LA like 4-5 days before the tour so I can explore and stuff lol. That’s cool you’re doing it with a friend, I’m riding solo lol.

I think I wanna meet up with a few of the Aus people doing this trip (once I know who they are) here in Aus before we go so we can break the ice here lol. So if you’re down for a meet up a little closer to the trip, let me know!!

Have you looked at flights yet or booked anything?

Jade

• 16 Jul 2013 emma said

emma

I think a meet up before we go sounds like a great idea! :) yeah I booked my flights last week there was this crazy sale where I got my flight for $1500 very lucky!! :) and also booked the tour and paid for extra nights in New York after the tour.

I was going to go solo until my friend was like “hey can I Come” I figured why not I know after 4 weeks away from home it would be nice to see a known face lol :) are you going to go to disney land? During the tour? And you can add me on fb if you like: https://m.facebook.com/#!/emmalee.kershaw?__user=100001643804667

• 20 Jul 2013 Miss J said

Miss J

Is anyone else doing these tours?

I want to stay in LA a few days before the tour starts and need to find a roomie! Also looking to stay in New York a few days at the end of the Eastern Discovery too.

• 20 Jul 2013 Caren said

Caren

Hey Im doing the April Best of USA tour and the LA hotel is the Figueroa Hotel :)
    Let me know if you decide to do the April tour!! Ive never been on Contiki and only time OS was as a baby so Im really excited (but nervous lol)

• 20 Jul 2013 Miss J said

Miss J

Yea I know all the hotels :) thanks

I’ve already booked my May tours, bugger!

Hehe I’m excited too!!

• 26 Aug 2013 Teamtashiiee said

Teamtashiiee

Hey guys,

I’m doing this Best of USA tour May 12th too!! I’m super keen! I’d love to meet you guys or add me on Facebook or something! could plan some awesome activities on our free days or something? I cant wait for Vegas and New York!

• 26 Aug 2013 emma said

emma

Hi :)
    yay someone else to get excited with!! I am so stoked for Vegas and new York too! its going to be so good :) sounds like a great idea about the activities, do you have any ideas?

add me on fb if you like,
    https://m.facebook.com/#!/emmalee.kershaw?__user=100001643804667

Teamtashiiee

I know right!! My first overseas trip so I’m a tad nervous about going on a plane for sooooo long lol

I’m thinking Disney Land is a must when we are in LA and in San Fran id like to do Alcatraz. Lotss of shopping too :)

I tried to use that link but it didn’t work?

Teamtashiiee

If you want you can try and add me:)

https://www.facebook.com/tash.carne

• 26 Aug 2013 emma said

emma

I totally agree i wanna do Disneyland and Alcatraz too :) and shopping in Vegas is suppose to be amazing!!! :) I am the same as you the furthest I’ve been from my house is sydney which is like 3 hours away ha ha ha , I have never been on a plane!! So being on one for 15 hours is going to be a new experience!! :)

Teamtashiiee

My sister is over in the states at the moment and seeing all the photos is making me crazy jealous!

• 26 Aug 2013 emma said

emma

Aww how cool! She can tell you the best places to go when your over there :) I just added you on fb by the way :)

• 12 Sep 2013 chenara1 said

Default_avatar

Hi guys, my hubby and I are thinking of doing this tour in May!
    Tossing up a few things like changing Hotels in LV to a 4/5 star and a couple of little things…..Have you booked? did you have any questions to ask Contiki before you booked?

• 12 Sep 2013 Teamtashiiee said

Teamtashiiee

The thought of changing hotels crossed my mind although it would a waste of money for some as we won’t be spending much time in them. My sister has just come back from the US doing a contiki trip and she said the hotels were pretty nice anyway:) I have booked my tour for the 12th of May, getting in LA a day early and staying in NYC a few days after. I booked my tour through a travel agent! They have been really helpful so maybe just call contiki of a travel centre and ask questions of you have any concerns:) hope this helps!

• 13 Sep 2013 chenara1 said

Default_avatar

Hi Teamtashiiee, yeah we dont really mind, will just mention it and see what happens. Doing it through a travel agent, was costs are involved? we are looking to fly out from Brisbane on the 10:15am flight getting to Las for a night before the tour also…
    We were thinking of flying directly out of NY the day the tour finishes and come home to see our kids as 2 weeks away without them will be like forever. Also was considering a stop over at Honolulu to get over our holiday. $$$$ is the big thing!!!

• 13 Sep 2013 Teamtashiiee said

Teamtashiiee

No extra costs were involved I don’t think. I went through student flights. I met them at a travel expo last year and they have been nothing but accommodating to my needs:) I think Contiki is a great way to see as much of America as you can:) I’ve heard mixed things about Honolulu although I think it would be a nice relaxing end to the holiday. I also live in brisbane and I’m in the process of looking at flights, although at the moment they are a bit pricey compared to others that have already purchased theirs for the same tour:)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.