Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Medical Prescriptions in the UK

20 May 2008 Explorer1083893 said

Default_avatar
Hey,

I'm going to live in the UK for 6 months, and I'm currently taking a prescription that is subsidised in Australia on the PBS.

I'll have an Ancestry Visa, but from what I can tell I won't get medication on the NHS in the UK.

Is it possible/legal for me to get scripts filled out here, and sent overseas? Or does having an Ancestry Visa allow me to get discounted drugs?
  • 20 May 2008 PinaI said

PinaI
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1083893:
    Hey,

I’m going to live in the UK for 6 months, and I’m currently taking a prescription that is subsidised in Australia on the PBS.

I’ll have an Ancestry Visa, but from what I can tell I won’t get medication on the NHS in the UK.

Is it possible/legal for me to get scripts filled out here, and sent overseas? Or does having an Ancestry Visa allow me to get discounted drugs?

I don’t really know about the VISA thing but I don’t think it matters if you have an ancestory one or not (I had an EU one and it didnt help me)!

Maybe you can fill out your 6-mth supply in Australia and take it with you? Would your doctor let you do that?

Otherwise, see if you can email the NHS and ask them directly. Tell them what you’re taking and why, it might help. The UK is very different in what they have on their system compared to Australia and it seems their Doc visits and scripts are much cheaper so, it might work out ok for you anyway.

• 21 May 2008 Rob S. said

Default_avatar

I can’t see why you would not be able to take enough medication to last you for the time you are over there. I agree with Pina, ask your Dr.

• 2 Oct 2013 brownrichard said

Default_avatar

It is a a written directive, as for the compounding or dispensing and administration of drugs to a particular patient. Which actually helps to recover form the illness. Dr. Lauren: Neck Pain Relief in Baltimore

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.