Community_discussions_small  

Question

Taking Duty Free into America?

8 May 2008 Princessvixen asked

Default_avatar
Hi all
I am flying to New York next month non stop(stopping in LA only to re-fuel) and I have a question regarding duty free. I have read on the net that if you land in america are continuing on a connecting flight that you have to put your duty free into your checked luggage once you clear customs(for me this will be in LA). Will that apply to me as I am actually re-boarding my flight in LA to continue to NY? If so can I buy duty free at JFK when I arrive? I just don't want to risk a glass bottle breaking and ruining my clothes!

Thanks in advance.

Lisa
  • 8 May 2008 NurseKara said

NurseKara

What type of duty free are you after? If it’s alcohol I wouldn’t buy it duty free as it is much cheaper at a liquor store in the states then duty free (even American duty free). Just for example 700ml bottle Vodka $12-14 USD in a liquor store. You can get duty free at LAX and take it on board your flight to NY as long as it is a direct flight to NY but I don’t know exactly because if you change terminals to a domestic US flight they might not have duty free shops at the terminal. Hope this helps a little.
    Kara

• 8 May 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

I was looking at Absolute Vodka but if its cheaper in liquor stores I will ask my freinds(who arrive before me) to grab me a bottle so when I land I can have a celebratory drink!

thanks for your help Kara!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.