Community_discussions_small  

Comment

what are the chances of Contiki canceling a grand southern trip in june

14 Oct 2010 katie said

katie
hey guys, im about to book my grand southern tour which starts on June 2nd! my travel agent told me it was best to book it all together i.e the tour and flights through contiki so if the tour does not go ahead i can get my money back, but I have found flights a lot cheaper and can save $700 by booking flights by myself, so what really are the chances of the tour not going ahead??
  • 14 Oct 2010 Jelly_Bean said

Default_avatar

I would get travel insurance which will cover flights if the tour is cancelled, and/or challenge your agent to match the price!

• 14 Oct 2010 Pervy said

Pervy

I did the Grand Southern in 09 that started at the same time you are looking at going and the tour was full with other people asking if anyone wanted to drop out so they could do it. Like Jill said get the insurance but it’s likely it will go ahead no worries.

• 17 Oct 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

What are the change fees for the tickets? If it’s $150 each way then a total of $300, still a savings of $400.

• 18 Oct 2010 NaHdz said

NaHdz

I’m a Travel Agent and Contiki gets pretty much the same fares we have access to and your TA can get the same fares that you find on the net. so if there’s a $700 difference you’re TA is either wacking on a massive fee or they haven’t looked properly for the best fare available..just ask them straight out what the base fare is and how much their booking fee is.

Absolutely get insurance, but what cdm115 said is true, change fees are usually about $150 per ticket so you’d still be saving..just check the rules when you book and see what penalties there are for changes etc

• 18 Oct 2010 katie said

katie

i just booked through Virgin Australia direct and im booking my tour through contiki direct now my travel agent is being far to pushy and telling me if i dont book by Thursday the price will change ect ect!

• 19 Oct 2010 cdm115 said

cdm115

NaHdz,
    I’m wondering if the issue is that they are either not using a travel agent or the travel agent doesn’t book airfare and does it through the tour company. In which case they are looking for flights on their own.

I think the difference with Contiki vs booking air on your own is that you can book with anyone you choose. Contiki might only have contracts with a few different companies so they might not have access to some airlines and flights.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.