Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Ireland June 17th 2011!

8 Nov 2010 takeMEaway said

takeMEaway
Hey Everyone!!

I'm from Canada and I'm going on the Ireland tour this summer on June 17th. If your going on this date let me know, I would love to meet some people that I'll be travelling with.

I am so excited, I can't wait to see everything and experience everything. Definitely going to be a trip of a lifetime.

After I'm in Ireland I'm flying to Greece and doing the Greek Island Hopping tour.
  • 14 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

JUST BOOKED IT.
    Where in Canada are you from? I’m from Barrie, Ont.

• 15 Mar 2011 takeMEaway said

takeMEaway

YAY!! I’m so excited. I’m from Ontario too, from the Kitchener area, if you know where that is?

• 15 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

Ok, sweet. Ya I know where the K/W is. Have you met any other people yet?

• 15 Mar 2011 takeMEaway said

takeMEaway

No not yet. I’m sure more people will post closer to leaving. I can’t believe it’s only 3 months away!

• 17 Mar 2011 JB said

JB

Hiya,
    Im from Brisbane, Australia. I have booked an 8 day trip around Ireland but my brochure has it starting on the 18th June. I wonder if it is the same?

JB

• 17 Mar 2011 takeMEaway said

takeMEaway

Yeah it will be the same. I guess I just wrote the 17th because I’m from Canada and they schedule an extra day for us to travel, but the tour doesn’t start till the 18th!

• 17 Mar 2011 JB said

JB

Awesome. I will be doing this right after a 24 day tour around europe. I get into Dublin on the 17th June. Staying at Jurys Inn that night. Travelling solo as well.

• 23 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

Hey JB. My name is Brian. I’m getting into Dublin on the 17th as well. I don’t have my hotel booked for that extra night, but I’m sure it’ll be close to (if not at) Jury’s Inn.
    TakeMe away, when are you heading over?

• 23 Mar 2011 takeMEaway said

takeMEaway

I leave the night of the 17th so I’ll be there on the 18th, the day the tour starts.

• 28 Mar 2011 BiancaCal said

BiancaCal

Hey Everyone :]
    I’m Bianca, from the US and I just booked this trip!!
    This will be my first Contiki trip in addition to my first trip over seas!! I can’t wait :]

• 28 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

Hey Bianca. Welcome. This is my first contiki and overseas trip as well.
    Here’s a question for everyone….
    Back-pack or suitcase?

• 28 Mar 2011 JB said

JB

Hai Bianca, its good to see another on the trip.
    As for back-pack or suitcase, I’m still not sure on this yet myself. I was thinking of taking my backpack just so I know I’ll stay under the 20kg limit for the bus for my other trip. I’ve also read in the forums they don’t recomend hard shell suitcases as they can get damaged under the bus.

• 28 Mar 2011 BiancaCal said

BiancaCal

That is a good question, and i have also been thinking about that. I read online that in Ireland it is recommended to use luggage with wheels.
    This is cut and pasted from contiki frequently asked questions:
    luggage is restricted to one reasonable sized, non-expanding suitcase size up to 29” x 20” x 10” (73cm x 50cm x25cm) and the maximum weight of 20 kilos (44lbs.) plus one small hand/day bag that can go on the coach with you. No metal frame backpacks please, their bulky shape makes coach packing difficult and they are likely to damage other luggage. Contiki reserves the right to refuse to accept larger suitcases on tour. I’m not really sure if my luggage is metal framed or not.

• 29 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

Bianca, I think what they are talking about are the older camping backpacks that pretty much have a bag attached to a metal frame, that is exposed. If you have reletively newer luggage, It shouldn’t be a problem so long as you haven’t packed the kitchen sink. haha.
    I’m really on the fence about this too. A backpack would make it easier to carry across town, but I don’t really want to unpack every single thing, just because I need something from the bottom of the pack. A suitcase would be much better for access. The debate continues……………

• 29 Mar 2011 BiancaCal said

BiancaCal

I would have to agree. I think I am bringing my newer suitcase, with wheels, along with a small carry on bag for the bus.

• 30 Mar 2011 JB said

JB

I was thinking a backpack, but now am just thinking a duffel bag. I can still put a lock on it’s zip, and like Brian says easier access.

• 30 Mar 2011 takeMEaway said

takeMEaway

I’m planning on using a suitcase, as I’m heading to Greece after Ireland and I’ll need the room. How do you guys plan on getting from the airport to the hotel? Just cab it?

• 30 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

Well, I have done a little research,and I think the best way ($) is to take the “Airlink” bus system. From what I’m seeing it only costs 6 Euros, while a taxi can run anywhere from 20 to 30 Euros. The Buses leave every 20 mins or so, and have several stops downtown. Here’s the site that I was looking at:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Timetables/Airport-Services/

• 30 Mar 2011 Explorer1234482 said

Explorer1234482

NOTE:
    Bus stop 277 on the 747 bus looks like it stops just a block or so from Jury’s Inn hotel.

• 30 Mar 2011 BiancaCal said

BiancaCal

Yes, when I booked my trip over the phone, Adam informed be about the Airlink system and he said there there was one from the airport directly to the hotel, which is definitely how I will be getting to the hotel. When it gets closer to our departure, we should all compare flight arrival times so that if we are at the airport at the same time, we can go together!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.