Community_discussions_small  

Question

Contiki... Not for me?

9 Jun 2008 CherrySA asked

Default_avatar
I am really getting cold feet on the whole Contiki thing! I’m not sure if it is for me!
I live my life "outside" the box; I don’t conform well to structure. And I’m really worried that i was a little premature in booking a trip with Contiki.. Everyone on this forum always says to the people who haven’t enjoyed Contiki whether they did research before they left majority didn’t, but I have and I’m not sure if it’s what I want out of my European experience...

Do you think that there are just some people who Contiki isn’t for?
  • 9 Jun 2008 chantelle said

chantelle

i think you have plenty of time to be unorganized ( living outside the box)
    you will have sooo much fun there is still plenty of time to be spontaneous. i didnt do research on contiki at all. i started looking at things after i booked and realized how awesome it seems to be.

• 9 Jun 2008 Steve85 said

Steve85

We had all sorts of people on our tour, and everyone is just there to have fun. There was a girl on our tour I was talking to the night before we left who had cold feet, but she ended up having a ball. I don’t know why you aren’t sure on Contiki anymore, but it’s your trip too, it’s what you make of it. As for me, it was the best thing I’ve done in my life.

• 9 Jun 2008 MeganSD said

MeganSD

I am quite a shy person and not all that independent or organised and I’m still not sure how I’m going to go on the contiki tour I booked but I’m still excited as ever about seeing Europe and meeting everyone and at least giving it a go. Like you I have done all the research, and some peoples reviews have been horrible, others have made it sound awesome. I definately think that contiki would not be for everyone, but you won’t know until you try and remember its just meant to be a taste of Europe- thats what its going to be for me and someday I do plan on going over and doing it my own way (ideally a roadtrip with mates/family/partner over several months with long lazy days in each city with a mix from camping to 5star motels haha). I hope you don’t feel pressured to do a tour just because you feel it is the only option available to you, nor do I think that you should pass up the opportunity to do the tour just because it feels a little awkward. Sorry if this isn’t much help, I just hope you end up doing what feels right for you and have a blast! Good luck! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 9 Jun 2008 Meo said

Default_avatar

theres are alot more other 18 to 35 tour companys rather than contiki, alot more cheaper or alot the same or alot more different. so its ok if u dont wanna go with contiki. compare the difference, when u get into ure research and you will become conferdient, and trust me you will know what path you wanna go down because your eyes light up your heart races a bit and you book the thing and then your like omg what the hell have i just done and then BAM! your stuck your booked and theres nothing you can do about it cept just GO! The bets part about booking trips becoz its so scary to know if u have done the right or wrong thing. hehehe orsm ay.
    its ok to research at other companys. dont think there going to rip you off coz contiki will do that in price for you anyway. your already thinking about heading overseas so you have jumped over the biggest hurdel yet! the rest is a hurdel to save a hurdel to keep reassuring yourself everything is going to be ok and the other hurdel to say its ok to leave everything behind for just that few weeks. Because when u come back after it all.. its like u never left.

You have taken the leap into dreaming, now research it, again theres more than to contiki so you now know its ok not to go contiki if you believe its not for you.

Just promise me… promise me, youll keep living outside the box u say you already are living and believe that in your trip. go wild go crazy. be out there as you say. it makes the best traveller good on ya!

• 9 Jun 2008 vlado said

vlado

Man meo, you really are against contiki. They must have done you bad bro. Havent seen anyone complain this much about them troughout these posts lol

• 9 Jun 2008 Explorer1096830 said

Default_avatar

Meo, stop giving aussies a bad rep!

• 9 Jun 2008 vlado said

vlado

Yeah thats what u think mate you just seem very negative thats all. my last post was not mend to offend you

• 9 Jun 2008 Teeg said

Teeg

Do you really want to take advice from someone who can hardly string a sentence together?

No wonder you didn’t enjoy your trip Meo, I can imagine you would have been extremely annoying and I am surprised that anyone put up with you on tour for so long. If you are going to throw out your crappy opinion, at least put some effort into making it understandable. If you spent half as much time improving your english skills as you do trashing Contiki on the forum, I think you could make a big improvement. Vlado’s post was in no way rude, yet you find it appropriate to say things such as “your such a lower person than you think of me”, and that his post was shallow. Here is an idea, get lost and find something productive to do rather than ruining our experience when using the boards and when asking for advice. I don’t expect you to understand or accept my point of view, but someone had to tell you to shut up.

I am not a mean person, but there are some types of people I simply cannot stand. You, Meo, are one of them.

• 9 Jun 2008 Teeg said

Teeg

Have a look at how many topics you have ruined for other people, then get on my back about replying to your negative posts Meo. I am done with this argument as you are too immature for me to have a discussion with.

As for Explorer1096053, I apologise for not commenting on the topic at hand straight away Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    In regards to having second thoughts, I think that is very natural and that most people get nervous before leaving. Try to stay positive, and just take it for what it is. If you stay open minded and try to go with the flow I think you could have a really good time. Good luck!

Tegan Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 Jun 2008 Meo said

Default_avatar

Done. Glad u gave in.

• 9 Jun 2008 Bly said

Default_avatar

Hey Explorer10605,

Looking at your post, I’m guessing that you’re worried more about the idea of a tour not being for you, as opposed to Contiki specifically? Tours arn’t for everyone, but they are a good way to see a place quickly. For myself, I get three weeks vacation a year, and I’ve found that touring is an efficient way to see a lot of places in a short amount of time. If you’ve got extra time, then backpacking is great… but if you don’t have a lot of time, a tour lets you see a lot more of a country (or continent) in the time that you could do it yourself.

As for structure, some things are pretty structured (such as when you leave, when you arrive, certain meals, etc) but you are given free time in the cities, and although it might only be an afternoon or a day, it gives you time to see things that are your top priority. For myself, I like the idea that the transportation and accomadations are taken care of, and all I have to worry about is what to do when I get to the city. That being said, when you’re only in a city for a day or two you really don’t get a taste of the culture there… but to be fair, if you were backpacking on your own, how much of the local culture do you encounter anyways!

Anyhow, tours arn’t for everyone. One of my best friends loves to backpack, and I don’t think Contiki would be right for him. I think that’s partly because he loves to randomly go off and he enjoys the freedom of now knowing where he’ll sleep the next night.

• 9 Jun 2008 tried&true said

Default_avatar

Benji just cause someone doesn’t share ur opinion of Contiki is no reason to say their comments are invalid! I read ur reply to me & all u did was personally attack me, something about me not having brain cells???? Who’s the immature person here? I believe u r married too yes? Should’t that make u more mature. I think people that haven’t done a tour yet should stop offering their advice & just wait to see for themselves what it’s really about. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Cheers!!!!!!

MeganSD
    quote:
    Originally posted by benji:
    I am like everyone else, and I agree…Meo’s here to cause trouble and nothing else. He’s not here to help out Contiki travellers. He’s here solely to cause crap.

So people, IGNORE him. Literally.

Click his name, then click “Add Meo to my Ignore List” and you won’t see anything else from Meo.

Thanks for that Benji, will definately do! I don’t want to read him, i don’t want to waste my time arguing with him! Ignoring him is the mature thing to do.I’m all for people having their own opinion, but he can make his own thread for it, not hijack other ones purely to cause arguements, personally attack people and throw them off topic. At least Leppardz comments made sense (I agree though that you didn’t personally attack him, i myself was rather insulted to hear that I “had no working brain cells”!), I have no idea what Meo is trying to say! Hopefully we can get these topics back on track to help everyone, thats what theyre here for, and if people want to post critism of contiki, fair enough we need all points of view but they can at least do it in a constructive way rather than immature sledging (cough, MEO, Cough).
    Explorer 1096053- ultimately its up to you, consider what everyone else has to say but remember, no 2 of us are the same and will all have a very different experience.

MeganSD
    quote:
    I think people that haven’t done a tour yet should stop offering their advice & just wait to see for themselves what it’s really about. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Cheers!!!!!!

Thats a little harsh, this topic is discussing whether she has made the right choice in choosing contiki. So what if we haven’t been on our tours yet? We still know what its like going through the decision process when booking, we’ve still talked to people who have done contiki tours, and we’re still worrying about the same things. Its comforting to hear what everyone has to say including those in the same boat as me! We may end up with the same opinion of contiki as you Leppardz at the end, but that doesn’t mean that what we have to say before our tour is any less relevant then what anyone else has to say! If you want people to take your point of view on board, please remember that rest of us want ours taken on board too. I hope this message isn’t too harsh, i just felt your comment was a little out of order and not very helpful.

• 9 Jun 2008 Jess-ade said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1096053:
    I am really getting cold feet on the whole Contiki thing! I’m not sure if it is for me!
    I live my life “outside” the box; I don’t conform well to structure. And I’m really worried that i was a little premature in booking a trip with Contiki.. Everyone on this forum always says to the people who haven’t enjoyed Contiki whether they did research before they left majority didn’t, but I have and I’m not sure if it’s what I want out of my European experience…

Do you think that there are just some people who Contiki isn’t for?

Perhaps everyone should get back to the original message and stop insulting each other…

They do say that Contiki isn’t for everyone… you’ve got a little while to decide so maybe look into some other options (like other tour companies or doing what you want by yourself) and see what you’re comfortable with. I can’t comment on what the tour is actually like as I haven’t done one yet, just a few friends of mine have and they loved it. I too have had second thoughts about Contiki, but then I’ve decided I can’t be bothered looking everything up to do it by myself Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

Good luck with your decision!

• 9 Jun 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

Hi Explorer
    I started contemplating my first contiki way back in the year 1999.I’m not kidding.I only had a part time job.I was going to go with 2 of my mates but they couldn’t make it.When I first thought about going alone everyone told me I was insane and some said it couldn’t be done.But I made my budgets, set my goals and saved my butt off for 18 months.I went and did the European Escapade and the day I left I was nervous beyond belief.But the minute I arrived in London I made friends.My roomie was also doing a contiki but not the same tour as me.We hung out for a few days sightseeing throughout London and had a ball!The tour itself was brilliant and I made so many amazing friends!Any doubts I had vanished on the first day!It was the best thing I have ever done in my life and I have since done it another 2 times.I am about to head to the states in less than 2 weeks with people I met on my last contiki tour(I am still in touch with them 2 years later and have travelled to NZ with them and they have also visited me in my home town).I can’t wait to do a contiki again, catch up with my friends, see America again and meet new people.I agree contiki is not for everybody(names withheld).But at the end of the day it is your experience and what you make it.Go with an open mind and a good attitude and you will be fine!
    Cheers
    Lisa
    Grand Northern 27/06/08
    California Highlights 23/07/08

MeganSD
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jess-ade:
    Perhaps everyone should get back to the original message and stop insulting each other…

They do say that Contiki isn’t for everyone… you’ve got a little while to decide so maybe look into some other options (like other tour companies or doing what you want by yourself) and see what you’re comfortable with. I can’t comment on what the tour is actually like as I haven’t done one yet, just a few friends of mine have and they loved it. I too have had second thoughts about Contiki, but then I’ve decided I can’t be bothered looking everything up to do it by myself Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

Good luck with your decision!

Completely agree! I hope no one thought I was insulting because thats not what I meant Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->, I’m just sick of these posts going off topic.
    Jess-ade- Yours is the same reason I chose contiki because if I went to Europe by myself I wouldn’t even know where to start, or how to organise it. I love that most things are taken care of. Also I think a tour is a great option if youre going solo because it doesn’t seem nearly as daunting because you get a bus full of people to travel and chat to.
    Princessvixen- Thanks for saying that about London, I’m doing the check out London package before my tour and I’m more worried about that than the tour because you’re on your own! Its reassuring to know that you made friends with your roomie and had someone to sitesee with even though you werent on the same tour. I’m hoping for something similar, things like Madame Tussuards just wouldn’t be the same on your own i don’t think…

• 9 Jun 2008 vlado said

vlado

you really need to learn to spell meo. i could hardley understand half of the junk you wrote in that oversized letter of yours. everyone is against you because you are so negative about everything, you should just leave everyones posts alone

• 9 Jun 2008 Troy19792008 said

Troy19792008
    quote:
    Originally posted by benji:
    I am like everyone else, and I agree…Meo’s here to cause trouble and nothing else. He’s not here to help out Contiki travellers. He’s here solely to cause crap.

So people, IGNORE him. Literally.

Click his name, then click “Add Meo to my Ignore List” and you won’t see anything else from Meo.

Great idea, I did it, everyone else should too.

I don’t believe this idiot is even on a tour, he’s just a trouble maker!

• 9 Jun 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

Since this topic has also greatly gotten off topic I’m going to close this one as well. Sorry folks….. Frowner<!--graemlin::(-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion