Community_discussions_small  

Comment

FIRST TIME EUROPE TRAVELLER

16 Dec 2007 Miss.Tammy said

Default_avatar
So i'm about to book my flight for europe for 3 weeks. My friend and I have decided to do the whole trip on our own and figure everything out ourselves along the way, rather than a tour. For people who have done it on your own, does this tend to be cheaper as opposed to a tour? since you are staying at hostels and such? I'm going for 3 weeks and i'm not sure how much money to bring for my trip (assuming i don't do alot of shopping, and only buying souveneirs)

Also, we are planning to purchase a rail pass that can be used for all the countries. How long does it usally take on a rail to get from one country to another? we are unsure of whether to upgrade to the first class one (for better sleeping) because we are unsure of how often we'd actually be sleeping on the rail.

This is my first time travelling to europe so any suggestions would be awesome! Thanks so much!
  • 16 Dec 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

It can be done cheaper than a tour, but you can also end up spending more. The beauty of the tour is you do not have to worry about anything, its all sorted for u.

I spent a month in Europe 18 days on tour the rest on my own, and I spent AUD$7000 for EVERYTHING. Tour, flights, accom, transport, spending money etc.

With EuroRail Passes the most cost effective way is to sleep on the train in between cities, as you will save on accommodation. Traveling 1st class will set you back quite a bit on a 1 month pass. Work out your budget before you leave and u will do fine

• 17 Dec 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

It takes a lot of planning and research to put together something on your own especially if its your first trip. With the economy plan for 120 euros a day, thats transport, food, entrance fees ect. That doesn’t include hotel. I averaged only 50 euros a day. And I still had to purchase an extra suit case to bring home stuff.

I highly suggest going to www.ricksteves.com I beleve you can even purchase rail passes there. His books and website teach you how to read things. I suggest getting Europe through the back door 2008 by Rick Steves its great and worth the money. It shows ou how to read european maps ect. Also tells you alot about budget locations. one place you could consider is staying at a convent or nunnery or a farm stay if you have a car. The only thing with those places is that its usually very quiet, sparce and have curfues. no parties there. But would be safe.

I’d recommend doing a tour for your first visit to get a taste of things and the security of a group setting. It will cost about the same. It just depends on how savvy you are.

Another key thing is when shopping or eating buy things on side streets not in the main plaza’s. A bottle of water will cost 4 euros near trevi fountain but 2 blocks over its .70 euro. Huge difference. Also take a collapsable cooler. You can get lunchmeats at delis and take it with you for later. Very cheap.

But really I highly suggest Rick Steve’s Europe through the Back Door 2008. It covers almost all of Europe.

Any q’s just pm me any time Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion