Community_discussions_small  

Comment

My daughter's nightmare US holiday so far.

22 Jan 2008 Explorer1087076 said

Default_avatar
Hi there

My daughter left for the USA on January 18th this year and has spent the last 3 days in Los Angeles. She is doing the Wild West Tour beginning on Wednesday 23rd which she is looking forward to.

But we back here in Australia have been keeping in contact with her in LA and from what she has been telling us, her time so far has been a complete nightmare.

She was told by her travel agent here that the hotels she would be staying in at LA were quite good, but has since found out by someone who lives in LA that the area where she is staying is a very rough and dangerous area.

Tomorrow she gets a shuttle bus from the airport to Best Western Stovall's Inn to await the beginning of her Contiki tour.

I just hope that from here on in, things start going well for her. Because I don't know if I can take much more hearing my daughter crying her eyes out and wanting to come back home. It's breaking my heart!

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that the USA is a great place to holiday, and I'd love to go there myself one day, but my daughter has just had one bad thing after another go wrong.

I'll give an example..
Last Saturday 19th, my daughter decided to go to Target by taxi to check it out since she used to work in Target here in Australia. So off she went by taxi, did her shopping but when it came time to go back to her hotel she came up against a big obstacle. No taxi driver would come to pick her up when she hailed one or rang for one. She ended up going up to a police officer and asking for help. He then called a taxi and one eventually came.

Anyway, we've been drumming it into her that things will improve and when she starts her Contiki tour she will make some friends and when she gets back to LA, she might be able to catch up with some of them and spend time together. That way she won't be alone like she is now.

Sorry for coming across as an aussie whinger, but since I am so far away, and feel so helpless in that I wish I could do more for my daughter, I thought this might be a good opportunity to ask for some tips or advice I might pass on to my daughter that may be of benefit.

So, if anyone out there has some constructive advice for me, it will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Neil
  • 22 Jan 2008 *nikki_adelaide* said

Default_avatar

I think its only natural for some things to not go smoothly.
    its all part of the experience for things to go wrong….for example i dropped my camera memory card down a tiny gap in the london eye and lost about 700 photos from my europe trip.

regarding the accom, i think its always best to check yourself on the location etc, travel agents only want your money and will feed you any info they want. but thats too late now, just remind her of the stories she can tell when she gets back about staying in the ghetto.

it would be hard being alone, i did europe last year with a friend…but this year am doing the US alone, will have just turned 22, it would be pretty scary to be in a situation like the taxi one, but i think all this will make your daughter and anyone else travelling alone a bit tougher Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

also i think its a good idea to get online before going away and chatting to people who will be on the same tour, that way maybe you can organise to hang out together before the tour starts so you arent alone….maybe she got online and got a few contacts that she could try and catch up with before tour?

at least soon she’ll be on a tour with heaps of other people who are travelling alone and have proabaly been as scared ****less as she has been for the few days before tour so she’ll be able to relate with them.

• 22 Jan 2008 HD1712 said

HD1712

Sorry to hear that your daughter is having a rough time in LA. It would be hard travelling alone and i’m gathering she is only young and this probably her first big trip away from mum and dad.
    Tell her to hang in there, now that she is about to start her contiki tour she will make up to 50 new friends and they will all have the trip of a life time.
    For this reason, that is why i choose to go straight to Anaheim where the tour starts and base myself there before my tour begins and not try the ghetto of LA.
    Everything will get better now, especially since she will be meeting some of her tour buddies.

*Doing Wild Western March 08

• 22 Jan 2008 Explorer1087076 said

Default_avatar

Hey, thanks for the replies.

She actually phoned us today to say that she is at her hotel in Anaheim and looking forward to her Wild West Tour.

So hopefully things will start to improve for her now.

I just don’t want her coming home with a bad image of the USA. I wanted her to have some great memories that will last her a lifetime, just as the memories of my European tour have stayed with me and will until I’m six feet under.

Anyway, thanks again!

Neil

• 22 Jan 2008 Mic said

Default_avatar

I’m told much of LA is a s***hole, unless you are paying a packet to stay in the fancy areas. Being a female by herself probably isn’t helping – I reckon things never seem as bad when you’re with someone. Once the tour starts she’ll be fine, don’t let hiccups ruin a holiday.

• 25 Jan 2008 Explorer1087086 said

Default_avatar

Hey Neil, I couldn’t reply the other day for some reason but i can relate to how your daughter is or was feeling. Once i got home though, i wanted to go back!. I ended staying in Stovalls in Anaheim for 7 days a few weeks ago and it was a nice place to stay. How is she going now mate?

• 25 Jan 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

I have travelled the world twice alone and it is a definate challenge.When i went to america/england/europe and singapore in 2006 i got my bags drug tested in sydney/got interrogated in LAX/got my bags and person searched in NY/lost my bags when i arrived in london(they were in germany)and had my cabin bag fully searched on the way out of london.Moral of the story?When you travel alone things can and will go wrong.It is extremely scary travelling alone but as long as you keep your wits about yourself you will be fine.Travelling alone is a very scary thing but it can be done!

If anyone needs travel advice email me at mysterygirl01@hotmail.com

cheers
    lisa

• 2 Feb 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

In all the big cities, particularly NYC and LA there are some great areas and some bad ones you do have to be careful about where you stay. And even if you end up in a good area, sometimes the bad area isn’t so far away.

Also if you do take a Taxi somewhere (and you don’t know what type of area you’re ending up in) take a look around, if it looks like a bad area it probably is and you’ll have trouble getting a taxi back – you can always ask the taxi if someone will pick you up again.

One of the nice things about a tour is that the TM will usually give you a heads up about where not to go.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.