Community_discussions_small  

Question

Mailing stuff home while in Europe?

28 May 2009 Explorer1137389 asked

Default_avatar
Anyone try this before?

I'm going to Europe in July and planning on doing a fair bit of shopping while there. Don't want to have too much hassle with luggage weight / not enough space to cram it all.

I know that shipping is pricey (I would get insurance on top of it), and there's Customs that could tax it at whatever rate they like.. so wondering if anyone has tried this before and would recommend it.
  • 28 May 2009 TravellingLiz said

TravellingLiz

I sent 2 packages in the regular mail from the post office near the Royal National.

They arrived home (Perth) in less then a week.
    One was just printed materials- info books etc I’d picked up onmy travels and the other had a few souvenirs in it.

I think I sent it ‘surface mail’, no extra insurance or anything.

I was actually quite shocked that it only took that long. I was very lucky!

• 29 May 2009 said

Default_avatar

You can find out your import rates on your countries Customs website, they don’t tax it at whatever they like, there is a set percentage of how much whatever you import is worth.

I seem to remember that the Netherlands and Germany have the cheapest shipping, its done by weight and the prices are pretty cheap. It cost me about 50Euro to ship 7 Beer Steins from Germany to Canada.

A good rule of thumb is to check whatever the oversized/excess weight costs are for the airline you are using(for most international flights its around 100 for overweight and about 200 for additional bags) and as long as the shipping cost is cheaper, then its worth while. Otherwise just put everything into your bag and be prepared to pay the overweight fee.

• 29 May 2009 CatherineOz said

Default_avatar

I sent three packages back from london via surface mail, all up about 120 pound I think. An dI have never had packages arrive in a worse state before, they were literally squashed flat-thankfully I packed it well so nothing was broken. It’s definately cheaper than paying excess, I kept telling one of the girls on my tour to send her extra stuff home but she didn’t and forked out something like $500AUD in excess.

• 6 Jun 2009 tanya said

Default_avatar

I found Amsterdam to be the cheapest

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion