Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Airport Information - please help!

3 Sep 2008 Lacey said

Default_avatar
I have a couple questions, if you have any insight I would really appreciate it. Maybe these are silly questions, but here it goes:
1) On the way back home (to California!) I leave Hamilton Island to Sydney and then to LA. I have a 1 hour layover in Sydney. Is 1 hour enough time to get from the Domestic Terminal (because I'm coming from Hamilton) to the International Terminal (I'm going to LA)? Does anyone know if my luggage will go straight through or will I need to pick it up in that 1 hour window?

2) My flight leaves Hamilton Island at 8:50 am. Does anyone know if the water ferry leaves early enough for me to get to the airport at that time? There is a way for me to get to the airport that early, right?

Thank you so much for any information you can share with me!

-Lacey Smiler
  • 4 Sep 2008 said

Default_avatar

If I can remember right I had the same problem but on the way to Australia. I had to catch a flight from Sydney to Cairns. I do believe if you are transfering from a domestic flight you have to get your luggage and transfer it. An Hour will not be enough time so you are best to over night in Sydney. I had this problem in Canada and you can’t bypass customs in Sydney and that could take a while. So if you have to transfer your luggage from domestic to international you have to wait for your luggage then you have to go catch a shuttle to the international terminal, and then you have to go through security and customs, plus there might be a delay in you getting off the domestic flight. Chances are if you miss the flight they can try to fit you onto another one, but I wouldn’t take the risk of that happening. Stay at a hotel or hostel it might be worth the investment.

Trina

• 15 Sep 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

An hour in Sydney? Forget it. This year I travelled from Brisbane-Sydney-LA-NY and even thought I arrived in Sydney at 8.30am on a Sunday morning it was packed! I didn’t have to collect my bags in at Sydney as I had an international connection but it did take me over an hour from when I landed in Sydney domestic to get to international. I cleared customs/immigration in Sydney but sometimes the ques are very very long. In my experience you are better off allowing at least 2.5 hours incase of delays etc

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.