Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Visiting Vietnam

22 Sep 2008 sarah88 said

Default_avatar
Hi everyone,

I've just seen the new trips to Asia and I'm really keen on the Vietnam tours.

I've never traveled internationally and so far these forums have really helped me prepare for my Europe trip in 2010, but there isn't much on offer about Asia just yet.

I'm basically looking for any advise on traveling to Vietnam, anything you can offer me.
I've read that the weather in the north can be completely the opposite to the weather in the south?
When is the best time to go, important things to take with me, information about the culture? Is it an expensive or fairly cheap travel destination?

Anything is much appreciated!

Thanks heaps
sar
  • 5 Jan 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

I think we might be getting a good deal – a friends mum is a travel agent and shes put it together for us. Flights and accomm 8 nights for $1100 or there abouts. We’re staying at the Bounty which I’ve heard is like a 24 hour party.

I think there’s just as much chance of it happening anywhere else as well so what can you do? Stay at home until the world is declared safe?? Don’t think thats going to happen anytime soon! Razzer<!--graemlin::p-->

I’m going to learn a bit of Indonesian too just the basics so I can say hello thank you etc

Sar

• 10 Jan 2009 Dragon86 said

Default_avatar

I am also looking at going to Vietnam with Contiki.
    I’ve done a couple before (USA and Europe) and have had a great time, no complaints.
    I am thinking of going in July – so i guess my only concern is the weather…i’ve been getting conflicting advice.
    The 15 Day Vietnam trip ( Explorer) looks amazing!!

• 10 Jan 2009 Dragon86 said

Default_avatar

Yeah – that was what i was afraid of!

I guess i’ll have to think about it.
    mmm…

But good to know about Nov – Feb. Cheers.

• 12 Jan 2009 Dragon86 said

Default_avatar

HAHA – great clip!

Yes – im thinking it might be worth it to wait to December. SO desperate to go though.

I read the other thread you commented on, about it being overpriced. For me really there’s no other option. I don’t feel i could do it on my own and just for that i’m not too worried about paying more.

Can’t wait till the first lot do the tours and get their feedback!!

• 12 Jan 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

Hi Dragon86!

I’m the same! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> I want to go before our booked tour in late Nov but we want to make sure we can make the most of it, and like it’s been said before, go at the wrong time of the year and I think it could potentially ruin your trip.

We’ll just have to wait…. boring! haha

Sar

• 2 Mar 2009 Reggie said

Default_avatar

Hey
    Does anyone know where I can get info on travel in Vietnam? I am a 21 female traveling solo and my parentals are stressing and driving me insane trying to talk me in to canceling my tour in December (parentals reckon it is not safe) I want to give them some reading material so they will chill out and not freak out as much.
    Cheers
    Reggie

• 13 Mar 2009 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

Mine is now booked with a Singapore Overnight flying with Singapore Airlines out of Adelaide staying at Paramount Hotel the evening of the 22nd of December before continuing onto Ho Chi Minh City the following morning at 8am returning from Hanoi on the 1st of January.It is the Vietnam Highlights and I got a good deal on the flights after much looking around everywhere SIA was the most convenient for South Australia.

• 9 Apr 2009 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

For the Australians Out there looking at any of the Vietnam Tours.Do not book Thai Airways even if you can one of their special contiki tour rates It’s Overpriced.I almost did that for the Vietnam Highlights in December but at the last moment I saw a Singapore Airlines Special which ex Adelaide even with the compulsory overnight in Singapore worked out around at the time I booked it a lot cheaper.

• 7 Jun 2009 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

At this point in time I would suggest Singapore Airlines especially for those of us who have to overnight in Singapore on the way over which applies Mainly to Sydney and Adelaide passengers.

• 7 Jun 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

My girlfriend and I have changed our plans and are planning to go early January 2010. I hope the weather will still be fabulous for us…

• 7 Jun 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

Wow sounds like a big trip – how long do you plan to be away for?

• 8 Jun 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

Hmm might be an idea to consider going later in the month then? Hope you have a great trip. Sounds like a lot of fun. Are you heading there on your own?

• 8 Jun 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

I just had a look at their website and through their tours. I really like the look of the Classic Vietnam Hanoi To Saigon tour. It’s almost half the price of the contiki tour Vietnam Highlights but the lengths are the same. Why do you think GAP are able to provide it so much cheaper?
    I realise their aren’t so many meals included but I doubt food is that expensive there anyway.

• 9 Jun 2009 Danasaur :) said

Default_avatar

Has anyone every been on a south east asian GAP tour?
    I would be interested to know how they rated it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 9 Jun 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

I would to! GAP have their own ‘forum’ on their website. Might pay to have a search through it maybe?

• 11 Jun 2009 patchie89 said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone, myself and a friend are booked on the Vietnam explorer tour from the 14th december to the 28th dec 2009. anyone else on this tour? i can’t wait, sounds excellent.

• 13 Jun 2009 N-Rod said

Default_avatar

hi everyone

im thinking of booking one of the tours after christmas (about the 28th of Dec). Anyone else doing one around that time? I look forward to getting my jungle on

• 21 Jun 2009 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

The Basic Tour Vietnam Highlights is more than enough time to see the country for most of us.I would not waste the extra money to visit the Mekong Delta.
    I had the option of doing that but opted not to given I could not get an extra two days away from the workplace in the lead up to Christmas and besides I was paying so much for the Tour Plus Singapore Stopover Overnight and Insurance and Airfares I didn’t want to price the whole thing way too close to South Pacific Cruise Pricing for Single Travellers.

• 7 Jul 2009 Michelle R said

Default_avatar

My friend and I are booking the Vietnam trip starting on Dec. 28—she’s ending on the 8 and I’m doing the full 15 days. Our first trip to Asia and Contiki tour. I’d love to hear from others who are going on the trip or who have already been.

• 29 Jul 2009 Explorer1137014 said

Explorer1137014

another recent video – July vietnam contiki-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-oM62L6qjk

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion