Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Visiting Vietnam

22 Sep 2008 sarah88 said

Default_avatar
Hi everyone,

I've just seen the new trips to Asia and I'm really keen on the Vietnam tours.

I've never traveled internationally and so far these forums have really helped me prepare for my Europe trip in 2010, but there isn't much on offer about Asia just yet.

I'm basically looking for any advise on traveling to Vietnam, anything you can offer me.
I've read that the weather in the north can be completely the opposite to the weather in the south?
When is the best time to go, important things to take with me, information about the culture? Is it an expensive or fairly cheap travel destination?

Anything is much appreciated!

Thanks heaps
sar
  • 23 Aug 2009 Explorer1148690 said

Default_avatar

Hi All,

A friend and I have booked on the Vietnam Experience departing on Sept.11th. I’ve been really looking forward to it, as I know nothing about Vietnam – except that the Americans had a war there. I must admit some of the video links are a little daunting, but still really looking forward to it. Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Is anyone else booked on this tour?

• 23 Aug 2009 sarah88 said

Default_avatar

Hi there!

I haven’t booked as yet but a friend and I are looking to go in Feb next year.
    I’d really love it if you could review the tour once you’ve done it! Nobody seems to have come back and reviewed it as yet!

Hope you have a great time!!

• 6 Sep 2009 boylangthang said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    The best time to travel to Vietnam is probably march-april as there’s hardly rain from north to south Vietnam and temperatures range from 20-30 Degrees Celsius. Have a nice trip to Vietnam! At other times, you’ll encounter real heat or rain!

• 27 Sep 2009 Explorer1148690 said

Default_avatar

Hi All,

I just came back from the Vietnam Experience, and had a blast! The Mekong Delta is soooo worth the extra cash, but I missed out on the Sapa part on the end, and finished up in Hanoi. The tour manager was great, and knew all the best places to check out…and all the local guides were fantastic. You’ll have a blast. The hotels were clean and the showers great…a/c in all the rooms, and you will need those! Although, we didn’t really spend too much time in the hotels, as long as you keep your expensive stuff out of sight, it should be fine. When we were there, the rainy season hadn’t begun yet, but it was bladdy hot…you will start to sweat the second you walk outside…so be prepared. Great holiday tho. Highly recommended. Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 28 Sep 2009 carly57 said

Default_avatar

Hey, its great to hear your good review, i’m booked on the vietnam explorer in november.

What did you do about money while you were over there, i’m trying to decide on the mix of cash, travellers cheques and using cashpoints over there – also, if you did take cash was it in american dollars or another currency?

Thanks,

Carly

• 29 Sep 2009 Explorer1148690 said

Default_avatar

The cash machines are fine there…I took USD and some Dong with me, but ended up at the cash points more often than I should have! There are tons of ANZ machines out there! Most major cities will have them.

• 4 Oct 2009 Chris H said

Default_avatar

I would highly recommend the trip as well and the Mekong Delta extension is definitely worth it in my opinion.

In regards to the optional activities, I did everything except for the mineral mud bath and I’d recommend doing all of them. The visit to cham island on a speed boat in Hoi An is especially recommended.

• 5 Oct 2009 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I shall defiently consider the Mekong Extension next time I go back most likely in 2010 or 2011
    I Opted for Vietnam Highlights This Time around being my very first time in that part of the world ever.Now off to pay the bill soon in full.Will ensure I get the most out of the holiday

• 12 Oct 2009 Explorer1148690 said

Default_avatar

I did all the added options including the mineral mud baths, which were defintately worth the extra cash. We took a cab there, that cost us less than an AUD $1 and the cabbie was pointing out all the local things to see like the temples as we drove through…well worth it! I agree…the speed boat was a definate highlight!

• 13 Oct 2009 carly57 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

Do you have an idea of how much you spent on the trip?

Thanks, Carly

• 14 Oct 2009 Chris H said

Default_avatar

If memory serves me correctly I spent about $350AUD and that was on the Vietnam Explorer trip which included the Mekong Delta and Sapa.

• 28 Mar 2010 melon1711 said

Default_avatar

Hi,
    Just wanted some info re Visa from Australia. So that start date has to be the exact date you arrive? If your visa is dated earlier than arrival date will that matter?

• 24 Apr 2010 Explorer1179112 said

Default_avatar

You want to visit Vietnam, first you have apply Vietnam visa online with travel agent.

• 21 Aug 2010 SteveG said

SteveG

You can get a Vietnam visa with Rushmore Visas service.

http://www.rushmorevisas.com

• 14 May 2011 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

I will be going back next year providing there is a tour that leaves before or on the 20th of December 2012 and doing the basic Vietnam Highlights again.I turn 35 around that time so with much regret I have to say goodbye to doing Contiki ever again after that.I have been looking at Cruises too around the same time but the itinearies are all the same with few differences in the South Pacific and will cost me about the same or possibly more so unless I can find something new in that department It’s a Contiki Asia tour for me again.

• 17 May 2011 Kaitlynslightly said

Default_avatar

Just booked my tour leaving on november 7th! Vietnam highlights :) is anyone else going on this?

• 18 May 2011 ChicagoJanice said

Default_avatar

explorer1084121 – Contiki will let you travel with them up to age 37 I believe. I will be 36 by 1 1/2 months when I start my tour. I contacted them prior to booking to confirm I would be able to travel with them. Their only requirement was I had to pay the single supplement to have my own room because I was older than 35 and traveling solo. If I was traveling with someone 18-35 I could have shared a room with them for no additional single supplement charge. Keep dreamin’!

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.