Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Trip Concerns

21 Jan 2008 Danni said

Default_avatar
I know there are probably heaps of these types of questions if I looked more... but I'm starting to get worried about the following:
* Pick pocketers/Having personal items stolen.
* Food (I'm very health conscious and picky) plus I've heard food poisoning isn't uncommon.
* Prague in general. I've heard it is a beautiful place, but I keep reading bad things about food and safety!

Appreciate if anyone can put my mind at ease! Oh, I'm doing the European Inspiration by the way in September.
  • 21 Jan 2008 Jeremy said

Jeremy

You’ll have to deal with the thought of pick pockets and stuff being stolen wherever you go. Although Rome is up near the top of places to do that. It is all what you make of it though. If you keep your valuable items (money and passport) in a money belt around your waist and do not take expensive things that are left in the hotel, odds are you wont have things stolen.

I wouldn’t be too concerned about safety in big cities as long as you travel in the many tourist areas. If you decide to go off the normal path it is probably better to do it with a group.

For food, food poisoning happens everywhere. If the place looks like a dive, unless you heard otherwise, it probably is a dive. There are plenty of restaurants in every city that serve formal meals that you shouldn’t have to worry about quality, of course they would be more expensive. I would say it would be one of those things where you use your best judgment.

• 21 Jan 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

As for pick pocketers just be aware of your surroundings. Don’t keep things in your pockest especially your back pockets. Look into getting a Pacsafe bag. No one on my tour got pick pocketed. You are most likely to get ripped off by a taxi driver.

The trick with food is to pick a place off the beaten path a few streets over where the locals go. Everything is cheaper a few blocks off the beaten path. I walked all over the place by myself and never fealt threatened or anything. I even found a group of gypsies playing music at a local fountain and talked to them for a while no problems. Get some travel pants with safety zippers/pockets. I got some at REI that are convertables and are great.

I’d just stay away from pork for some reason they don’t know to cook it all the way. If the restraunt you are looking at has languages from everywhere its a tourist plae if you hear a lot of local language then its a local spot. I also found if you post on Trip Advisor for specific places to eat ect they have loads of information as well. Remember you are also going to get charged extra for sitting down in a place compaired to eating at a bar.

I suggest looking at Rick Steve’s website and books. His Europe 101 and Europe through the Back door have loads of advice and places to eat.

I noticed that the veggiterian dishes served on contiki trip seem to be better than the ones with meat.

Hope that helps.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.