Community_discussions_small  

Question

Ideal time of year to travel to Australia?

7 Aug 2008 Shannon asked

Default_avatar
Hello all-

I was wondering if someone might suggest the ideal time of year to travel to Australia -- weather wise. As with most anywhere, I understand that weather varies greatly depending on the climate of the region. I am planning on taking the Reefs and Rainforest tour and therefore will be traveling along the eastern coast. I was hoping to travel towards the ending months of 2009 or the beginning months of 2010. I know that is a while away but I want to plan well in advanced! Being a native Texan I am accustomed to high temperatures (say, 40+ degrees celsius), but seeing as a lot of this tour will be spent outdoors I don't want to be too uncomfortable. A person can only take so much heat! Could anyone recommended one month over the other? I would love to be in Australia for Christmas and New Years but heard from some Australians that I'd be insane for considering traveling to Australia during that time of year. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

Shannon
  • 7 Aug 2008 kellie said

Default_avatar

I live in Oz, and Christmas/New Year is def the BEST time to be here.

ITs Summer, and really warm from about Oct to Feb, where average temp is probs about 30 C (depending where abouts you want to go)

I reccomend Perth (most isolated city in the world, but def the best), also Melbourne and Sydney, and the Gold Coast in QLD.

As for rainforests.. i didnt know we had any of those??

but if you want to do the tourist thing, great ocean road is also something to look into.

ok, back to best times to travel…depending how long you want to be here, id def say dec/jan are the best months. yes all the little kiddies are on school holidays, but when your travelling you dont really notice that a whole lot. New year absolutely goes off here, and AUSTRALIA DAY is def a worth while experience as thats the day of the year we will show you how to party. thats the 26th of Jan

Hope that helps

Kellie

• 8 Aug 2008 MJ said

Default_avatar

I went in Nov and it was very nice not too hot not too cold. Only 1 rainy day out of 28 days I was there. Tasmania was a little cold but that was also in the mountains. But it was great.

• 8 Aug 2008 Explorer1109379 said

Default_avatar

I am an aussie and travelling to Australia between november-feb is absolutely fine. Not too hot, especially if you are from Texas! What Kellie said is right, experiencing ‘Australia Day’ on Jan 26th is a must do if you are a tourist! Christmas and New years is also something different if you are used to having those celebrations in winter!

• 9 Aug 2008 Shannon said

Default_avatar

I want to thank all three of you for responding to my post! I am very appreciative of all the advice you have given me. If anyone has any further suggestions, please feel free to post them.

Hope all is well with everyone!

• 9 Aug 2008 Aussie Chell said

Default_avatar

Hi Shannon!

Pretty much anytime is great to travel to Australia. My favourite time is either March – May or September – November (I am not a massive fan of the heat and travelling combined!). If you enjoy hot weather then Dec/Jan would def be great time to travel, provided you are going to the coast. Being a Queensland girl I can comment that anywhere in Queensland is going to also be VERY humid and sticky. North QLD particulary.

Just check where your tour is going, usually Tropical North QLD is difficult to go to beaches etc during summer because of the blue bottles and jellyfish… sometimes they will close beaches….

You will have a ball!!!!
    Chell

• 11 Aug 2008 Katie said

Default_avatar

Hey shannon,

even though im from down south, i can tell you that up north in qld at that time of year (Dec/Jan) it is the wet season, so expect rain and alot of it. And it will be VERY humid and sticky as Chell said. So whilst you might be used to heat, humid heat is very very different!

I myself prefer north queensland in November (which is the time of year i go to cairns every year), its before the rain, it is still really humid and warm, and the rest of the east coast has nice weather too!

Hope that helps!
    Katie

• 12 Aug 2008 Shannon said

Default_avatar

Thank you all for the advice you have given to me. It has been most helpful!

I am now trying to decide between traveling in November (to avoid the rainy season, seeing as I will be visiting Cairns, Cape Tribulation and the Whitsundays before heading down south) or travelling in December-early January in order to be in Australia for Christmas and New Years.

I hope time will help me make up my mind. I am certain that I will have an amazing time no matter when I choose to travel!

Thank you all-
    Shannon

• 15 Sep 2008 Princessvixen said

Default_avatar

This time is the best time to come! Most eastern cities are very very hot in summer and once you get into QLD it gets humid too. I think December is a great month(although expensive) as it generally doesn’t get too hot until January.

• 17 Sep 2008 ming said

Default_avatar

Hi Shannon!

I just came back from Reefs and Rainforests (Cairns to Sydney) a week ago, and had an absolute blast. It was a little cold and wet the past few weeks, but the weather should be fantastic from November to January. Feel free to drop me a message if you have any queries.

ming

• 20 Sep 2008 Sam488 said

Sam488

Hey

It really depends on your tollerence for heat and humidity. It isn’t the heat that gets most people but the feeling of drowning in the wet mugginess of the weather. If like me you are born and bread in this weather you thrive on it but tourists and people who move here quite often find it pretty unbareable.

Apart from that it really is one of the best times to travel but if you want to miss the worst of the heat come in our spring or at the very end of the summer. The Daintree rainforest is just beautiful i went their in winter and it was only 24 degrees C the whole time i was their we went swimming and snorkeling it was great.

Also if you come in novbember you miss the tourist season and the school holidays which are just a scramble of screaming children and their parents. but if you do come over at the end of november be aware of schoolies! the right of passage of our graduating students that take over the gold & sunshine coast and anyother party destination on the east coast of queensland. it starts around about the 20th of nov.

Sam

• 12 Jan 2009 melangie said

Default_avatar

Everyone’s been talking about dec/jan, but that’s just not possible for us due to school and work and such. We were thinking end of July/August. We wanted to do the Aussie Explorer – a bit of everything. How are the weather conditions in the Outback and along the Eastern coast?
    We absolutely have to do the great barrier reef thing, visit the kangaroos, and learn to surf. What can 2 girls from Montreal, Canada expect?

• 12 Jan 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!
    quote:
    Originally posted by Explorer1121639:
    Everyone’s been talking about dec/jan, but that’s just not possible for us due to school and work and such. We were thinking end of July/August. We wanted to do the Aussie Explorer – a bit of everything. How are the weather conditions in the Outback and along the Eastern coast?
    We absolutely have to do the great barrier reef thing, visit the kangaroos, and learn to surf. What can 2 girls from Montreal, Canada expect?

thats when i was planning of going, and also being from canada was wondering what you aussies thought?
  • 13 Jan 2009 Shannon said

Default_avatar

I appreciate all of the advice everyone has given to me. I decided to go ahead and book Reefs and Rainforest for November—I hope the next few months go by fast!

• 27 Jan 2009 Penguinlegs said

Default_avatar

Alyssa, the weather for July/August varies between the places you mentioned. The outback (Alice Springs) is very cold at night, but warm in the day. Sydney tends to have cold nights also, but warms up to mid-teens to low twenty’s (it varies). Up north at that time is beautiful. Cairns is normally high twenties every day and mild night…perfect weather – not humid at all as it is the dry season.

• 27 Jan 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!

thanks Penguinlegs!

• 29 Jan 2009 melangie said

Default_avatar

Penguinlegs, this makes me very happy!!! Being from Montreal, I am not afraid of cold nights…
    Plus the fact that it’s warm during the day makes up for it.
    When you say high 20s, does this mean that the water is surfable/divable? Like the Great Barrier Reef is a very important part of why I want to go. It’s not an option to leave without snorkelling at least…Thanks for the advice!!!

Alyssa, where are you from? And what tours where you looking at?

• 29 Jan 2009 melangie said

Default_avatar

sorry. another question. what do people think about april/may? if july/august is winter, then april/may would be fall, right? how’s your fall? trying to look at all our options…

• 30 Jan 2009 alyssa! said

alyssa!

im from Winnipeg, and going on the Reverse Explorer in July.
    Only time I could.
    And their winter is still better than my winter

• 27 Feb 2009 aussie liz said

Default_avatar

If your wanting to go up northern australia, do it in our winter time…ie april/may until september, czo its awfully humid up there in the tropics. The weather is devine apparently in the winter and more comfortable. Doesnt feel liek winter either, so you can go swimming and avoid the stingers.

Avoid melbourne in winter…although it can be freezing cold anytime of the year.

• 1 Apr 2009 Deggy said

Default_avatar

I am from Australia. If you are going in Dec – Feb, it will be hot everywhere, and extreamly humid up North (cyclone season).

Down south in Melbourne, Adelaide and NSW you can expect 30-45 celcius, especially in Jan – Feb.

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion