Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Victoria Hotel in Cairo

27 Sep 2010 Jackiek428 said

Default_avatar
I heard that Contiki is now using the Victoria Hotel in Cairo instead of the Oasis. My friends all stayed at the Oasis on their contiki trips and loved it. I've heard bad things about the Victoria Hotel including it having bed bugs. If you stayed here recently please let me know what you thought of it!!!

Thanks
  • 30 Sep 2010 MissRITraveler said

MissRITraveler

oh’no!! Not bed bugs’ yuck

• 4 Oct 2010 Explorer1180247 said

Default_avatar

Yeah I have heard about the bed bugs thing and this is a worry.
    Can anyone else clear the air with this?
    Bed bugs are a deal breaker!!

• 14 Oct 2010 CanadianMich0770 said

CanadianMich0770

Just got back a week or so ago.
    Victoria Hotel isn’t exactly a 5 star hotel, but there were no signs of bed bugs… it’s located in the industrial part of town – no real food close by. We ate at the hotel restaurant on our last night – kind of a family meal. Food was pretty good, reasonably priced. Would rate hotel 3/5.. not as bad as sleeper train, but it was no cruise ship!

• 14 Oct 2010 Explorer1209693 said

Default_avatar

Just got back a couple of days ago as well. The hotel is clean and no bed bug issues for me either. There is nothing wrong with this hotel just is not a 5* Hilton hotel or anything. The food isnt too bad there as well.If you are an easy going person you will love this trip!!

• 21 Oct 2010 MissRITraveler said

MissRITraveler

I was speaking with a friend and he told me this hotel is located in a town known as land of the dead – (interesting)But this hotel is rather old and was built in the early 1900’s. I was hoping for a swiming pool – bummer

• 22 Oct 2010 MissRITraveler said

MissRITraveler

That stinks…. And I planned on staying an extra night to venture the city to see any additional thngs that we might not have had time for during the tour.

• 22 Oct 2010 gator717 said

Default_avatar

Yes the hotel is a bit out of the way but from I have seen and heard, there is a metro station near by. I spoke to my Egyptian friend and his family and they say that the subway is a great way to get around Egypt. It’s very quick, efficient, and cheap! When they went to Egypt last year, the fare was 1 Egyptian Pound per person no matter what distance you were traveling. They also say that the subway is safer than the buses and at times, the taxis.

I’ll be traveling to Egypt on this tour between the 29th of October and the 8th of November so I will tell you more about the hotel when I return.

As of now, I am staying two extra days as are a few of my tour mates. On our first extra day, we are taking the express train from Cairo to Alexandria for a day trip. You can catch the express train at the Ramses station which you can either walk to or take a taxi. We’ll probably take a taxi since we plan on catching one of the first trains out of Cairo (don’t want to be walking in an unfamiliar place at 6:30am!) On our second day, we are taking the subway south to Coptic Cairo to explore the Coptic cathedrals, gardens, and museums.

As for the pool, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. My friend said that Cairo cools down considerably in November and it might be a tad chilly. My first day in Cairo (Oct 30th), they are forecasting a high of 79 F/ 26 C and a low of 64 F/ 17.7 C. In some blogs and websites I have read, people suggest that you take a jacket/sweater since the evenings can get cool.

Here’s the website of the hotel: http://www.victoria.com.eg/index.htm

When I get back, I’ll write about my trip! Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 5 Nov 2010 Hayley said

Hayley

The hotel is pretty good, but like CanadianMich said above, it’s certainly not 5 star!

I didn’t see any sign of bed bugs; I found this hotel to be considerably clean! I had a few minor issues like the hair dryer wasn’t working, the air conditioning was too cold and I was unable to change the setting, keys kept getting jammed, etc. But the staff are really friendly and very helpful.

Girls, don’t venture out alone as the area around the hotel isn’t very well lit. It’s best to go with a group of people because it can also be a little disorienting around the area.

• 8 Nov 2010 MissRITraveler said

MissRITraveler

Did they have Free wifi at this hotel? or american outlets for charging things

• 14 Nov 2010 gator717 said

Default_avatar

I just returned from the Egypt tour!

I found the Victoria Hotel to be a very decent, clean hotel! I spent three nights at the Victoria hotel and every thing I saw was clean. My sheets and the bath towels were super clean. The bathroom was stocked with plenty of toilet paper. The rooms were rather large and the beds were quite comfortable. The first night I had plenty of hot water but the other two days I had to wait a few minute for the water to heat up. The bathroom has a hair blow dryer which works really well. Actually, both the hotel and the cruise had blow dryers so I won’t waste luggage space packing one. On this trip, I never used my power converter, just the plug adapter. My laptop, my phone charger, my camera charger, and my straightening iron are all set to be used between 110V and 240V therefore no need for the converter. If you check your chargers and a few of your electronics, you’ll notice they can be used overseas without a converter. The hotel had two outlets and the cruise I believe had three. The hotel had a large lobby and a garden area where you can hang out with people.

Now the area around the hotel is not the best in Cairo but my tour mates and I did a lot of walking around the neighborhood and we never had any problems. We even took a long walk at night! There is a Mobil Gas Station with a convenience store, called On The Run, where you can buy all sorts of American snacks, water bottles, and other items you might need for the trip. I didn’t stock up on water bottles because every morning Contiki gave us a large bottle (The week I was there, 10/29 to 11/7, it was rather cool in Egypt. We only had one warm day!). Across from the gas station was a great falafel shop were a bunch of my tour mates and I feasted on really inexpensive but delicious falafel sandwiches. Also, grabbing a taxi from the hotel to downtown Cairo was pretty easy and a few of my tour mates headed there to go bowling, shopping, and to eat at “American” restaurants.

There is no WiFi in the hotel or cruise but they do have computers and you could purchase internet access for thirty minutes at a time. I don’t remember the rates since I had my BlackBerry with an international plan and used that to access the internet and contact my family and friends. I did bring my mini laptop but I just used that to upload and back up my pictures every night.

As for the breakfast provided at the hotel, it was a pretty good breakfast. They had a selection of breads, cheeses, eggs, and juice. They also had coffee and tea.

Let me know if you have any questions! I have a few pictures of the hotel posted on my Facebook account if interested in seeing them and I am also working on my blog which is a bit behind because I didn’t have time to update it during the trip.

All in all I absolutely loved this trip and I do plan on going to Egypt again. I am very much obsessed with Egypt and I spend the majority of my free time reading books and articles on the history, culture, and religion of the country. I think Contiki did a very good job with the tour and itinerary and Sherif, your tour manager/guide, will be the most amazing person you’ll ever meet!

Another note, you can exchange currency at the hotel for a very good rate!

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion