Community_discussions_small  

Question

Who's told their boss?

9 Feb 2007 sue123 asked

Default_avatar
Just wondering if anyone is in the same situation I am. I am leaving ym job right before I go on the trip. Now, I work as a substitute teacher, so it's not like it's supposed to be a permanent job so I should have no problems saying that I'm leaving. But, I feel horrible because Im hte only sub the school has, and I don't know how to say that I'll be leaving a month before the school year ends. All the other teachers know I'm going, and they constantly remind me that I'm under no obligation to stay since as a sub, I could work at any school in the city and can set the days I want to work, but I still am going to have a hard time telling the coordinator that I'll be leaving.
  • 9 Feb 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

Thing is, it doesn’t matter whether I’m on their good side or not because I’m only working for this year. I’ll be in medical school next year, and they know this, so htey knew when they came on that I would be onlyfor a year. It’s one of the reasons I became a sub. But it still makes me nervous just because the school is really understaffed as it is.

• 9 Feb 2007 Kylie85 said

Default_avatar

I havnt told them yet. im only working as a temp anyways through an agency and I feel that if I let them know I wont be working for them after April they may not find me any more work.
    im only in Aus for five months between my last trip (year in Canada) and my next (year in China and round the world incl. contiki) so I didnt worry about finding something perm as i knew I would feel bad leaving so soon. Roll Eyes<!--graemlin::rolleyes:-->

• 10 Feb 2007 Bree 24aus said

Default_avatar

I would tell them asap.
    You’re a sub so it’s ok.
    Also they’d understand that you’re young and wanting to travel (esp. before med school) –- and it’s what you should be dong! Most people actually be happy and excited for you!

I’m contract-kind-of work (podiatry), so I (officially) can take holidays whebever want (no pay also!).
    My plan was to work for 1 and a half years (after finishing uni) before going o/seas. But then my first job didn’t work out (left in August 06) — so i will have worked at my current job 10 months until i go away in june.
    And it’s hectic busy at work, plus a girl just left (to start medicine actually!).

But they understand that i’m young and want to travel. And previous staff have done the same — except enede up staying o/seas.

you’ve got to think of yourself. It just work. It’s not personal — or just try to keep thinking like that.

• 10 Feb 2007 space_monkey said

Default_avatar

my boss knows im going away for a month. but i haven’t told him i might stay in london for a lot longer, if i like it over there. so im not looking forward to telling him that. oh well thats life, you only live once.

• 10 Feb 2007 junior37991 said

Default_avatar

Honesty is the best policy. Tell them asap because your boss probably will be more angry about you leaving giving him such short notice if you held off to the last minute. So get the balls and tell him/her.

PS Nicky is there something wrong with your computer because all of your ‘t’ and ‘e’ are the wrong way around.

Matty

• 12 Feb 2007 Tonym said

Default_avatar

Hi Sue,

I know how you feel!!! I have had the same problem. Everyone kept telling me I had to inform my boss but couldn’t because I was afraid of the reaction. After a while I had to tell of course and my boss’ reaction was soooo GREAT!!! She was happy for me and knew why I had to go….

It’s your life and you can’t always make everybody happy. You’ll only be glad once you’ve told him/her! Good luck!!!

• 12 Feb 2007 TuscanTraveler said

Default_avatar

I told both my boss’ about going away for a month, and they’re fine with it. ONe boss is counting down the days to get rid of me, and the other is really excited for me. And I’m 99.9% sure that my jobs will be here when I get back. So the ripping of the bandaid definitely worked in my case. I told them about it 6 months in advance.

• 12 Feb 2007 sue123 said

Default_avatar

So my boss kinda found out today. One of the teachers died unexpectedly last night (as in at work Friday, seemed fine, then went and died last night) and they were apparently talking about me as becoming a permanent sub for him. My mom, who also works at the school as a teacher, heard them talking about this and said that I could only work until May 22. So I guess I’ve been outed. But they still don’t know I’m leaving for Europe, they might just assume I’m leaving to get ready for med shcool (moving into a new apartment, orientation, etc.)

• 12 Feb 2007 sous said

Default_avatar

ahhh mums, they’re always good for that!
    look, you sound young, young people are pretty much expected to do some travelling (in AUS anyway). you shouldnt have to feel guilty for the inadequacies of that school. it is their job to make sure they have enough staff, not yours. Trust me, not good to hang on to guilt. it’s your life- go and live it. It wont make people think any less of you!
    Also i think it would look great on your resume (for your next job if u get back into teaching b4 med school) that you have travelled. Most employers see that as a sign that you’ll be more committed to your job since youve already gotten travelling out of your system..

good luck

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion