Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Mobile Phones

12 Dec 2007 Amberfishy said

Default_avatar
One of my friends suggested it might be a good idea to take my phone over there, and buy a sim card in London and use that instead of the ekit sim card or getting roaming on my network.

I'd like to be able to send messages home, maybe make a couple of calls, but the idea of paying for incoming calls doesn't appeal to me much!

Has any one heard of this and is it a good idea?
  • 13 Dec 2007 Erin C said

Default_avatar

I just got back from a trip all over Europe and when in London most people recommend you buying a Virgin Simcard, but I suggest you purchase a prepaid Vodafone simcard. Its only about 4 Pounds and then whatever credit you load on.. Plus Vodafone shops are all over Europe and Virgin was never to be found..

P.S.- It costs about 30pc to send a text and about 19pc to receive texts..

Good Luck!

• 13 Dec 2007 slock31 said

Default_avatar

That good to know. Only a few months ago when purchasing my new phone. I was asking about the roaming and the guy at the store said that the international price for Optus (Australia) were huge overseas.

So the vodaphone prepaid sounds liek the way to go!

• 13 Dec 2007 Jess&Aleks said

Default_avatar

We are gonna be doing this aswell! Good to hear Vodafone is better though.. How much does it cost to buy the sim?

• 15 Dec 2007 monty02 said

Default_avatar

guys

i’ve had optus roam on my mobile on 4 contikis now. generally the costs for texts range from 50cents to $1 depending on what network ie which country, you roam into.

i found this much cheaper in the end (esp for the UK) and avoids hassle of topping up.

def a no no for calls those unless they are super brief cos even if someone calls you you pay for the bounce back rate to aust.

• 15 Dec 2007 Becsta said

Default_avatar

I would just be careful with using a UK sim in Europe too.. Even though the countries are all close together in distance, they have their own networks and you will end up paying quite a lot for your UK Sim to bounce off it..

• 3 Jan 2008 Bliss Madonna said

Bliss Madonna

i took my phone and i probably wouldnt next time. my bill when i got home wasn’t HUGE HUGE but it was still rather expensive and there are def cheaper options out there. a few people on my tour had the contiki e-kit calling home card and they seemed like the best idea. u could get a uk/europe sim card but u have to be carfeul that they will work in your particular mobile phone. the calling card seems to be the safest bet.

• 5 Jan 2008 cdm115 said

cdm115

I bought a world phone for my one tour, used it on another tour and loved the convenience of having it if i needed it. But it was expensive, I only used it to check in at home. If it’s going to be too tempting for you to use your phone, then don’t bring it.

• 5 Jan 2008 cherry_elle said

Default_avatar

I think I’ll leave my phone at home and purchase a phone card. My family would probably GIVE me money to buy one so I can stay in touch.

• 7 Jan 2008 Girlface said

Default_avatar

Hey I dont know a lot about sim cards but when I worked for Sprint I would get a ton of people calling in about the bill and there is absolutely nothing we could do. Roaming rates are reasonable in some places and not in others you would really have to call your local provider and ask some questions about all the places you are going. One thing to worry about though is that if you have a better signal coming from a tower in the ocean (for cruise ships ect) the rate per minute is astronomical. Hope this helps.

• 8 Jan 2008 Megan0870 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

If your looking for a simcard try www.gosim.com
    I’m taking my mobile no matter what anyone says, but there is no way I’m paying for people calling me. So this is a good alternative. The calling rates are pretty good compared to the ekit simcard (0.99c/min) most incoming calls are free of charge.

Anywya check it out. Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Megz

• 9 Jan 2008 sehohner said

sehohner

KInd of a stupid question here, but if you bring your cell phone on your tour, can you still text message back to your home country if you have service in the area? like you dont need a special phone card like a Vodafone thing just to text message while your overseas?

• 11 Jan 2008 nazza1 said

Default_avatar

im not too sure hey but i hav a vodaphone prepaid already from aus coz thats where i live obviously so can i use that? ive got a $49 cap will that work in europe?

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion