Community_discussions_small  

Question

Beaches and Reef (Start Cairns) July 2014?!

17 Aug 2013 Flo asked

Flo

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of travelling to Oz next year for the first time! Any advice about this trip would be most useful! Looking at 26th July 2014 departure from Cairns. Few questions:

I am thinking of getting flight from the UK on 23rd July in the evening, arriving in Cairns lunchtime on the 25th (day b4 trip starts) does this give me enough time for jet lag etc b4 the trip starts on the 26th?

Spending money for this trip?!?!

Who best to fly with? Virgin? BA? Qantas etc?!

I am very excited as everything seems possible now- just need a bit of advice before I go ahead and book! Any advice big or small much appreciated :)

Flo x

• 8 Sep 2013 MATTHEW said

MATTHEW

If on a budget virgin and jetstar is ok if traveling without a budget qantas

• 8 Sep 2013 Flo said

Flo

That’s great thank you, I’ll have a look into those air lines

• 9 Sep 2013 Keiran Holloway said

Default_avatar

Hi Flo,

Firstly, if you’re looking at commencing from Cairns and flying in from the UK, then you’re going to need to be aware that you’re likely to be flying into somewhere like Brisbane or Sydney first and getting another flight back out to Cairns. Whilst Cairns is an international airport, to the best of my knowledge this is largely just to accept Asian flights direct into the region and not carriers from further abroad.

In terms of airlines, BA and Qantas are the incumbent (read: the most expensive) but also the most reliable. VA will be cheaper. You could also look at carriers like Emirates or Etihad from the UK. Other options would be Singapore or Cathay Pacific. I’ve flown all the above and they get the job done. Reality is, which ever way you look at it, the flight is long and it is just a means to an end.

Spending money for the trip. Australia is expensive to travel around and food and alcohol are likely to be more expensive that what you are familiar with, especially when on the road and in remote locations or islands etc. Personally, I’d budget $100AUD/day. You can do it cheaper, if you want, but it is surprising how quick you can burn through money whilst travelling and doing various activities.

With regards to Jet lag, depends on your ability to sleep on the plane and get into the time zone of the place you’re travelling to. With flights this long and looking at your schedule (also knowing that you’re going to spend 21-23 hours getting to Sydney/Brisbane then another 4-5 hours all told getting to your final destination in Cairns) I would leave an additional day personally. Land at lunch time/mid afternoon.. Force yourself to say awake until evening, early dinner and get to bed early and try sleep for 8 hours. Jetlag can be a strange beast and you may not find you sleep 100% on the first night. Spend the next day site seeing in Cairns and have a relaxing then be ready to take off for your trip on the following day. Contiki is fantastic because they’re fast paced and you see a lot of things in a very short period of time… but they do mean a lot of late nights and early mornings and big days. I would suggest having a day of relaxation, adjust to the local timezones and weather before jumping into it. There’s also heaps to do in Cairns.

Hope that helps.

Keiran.

• 10 Sep 2013 Flo said

Flo

That is so very helpful, thank you so much! I have decided to start the tour in Sydney on 3 rd August due to work commitments as well as giving me an extra day in Sydney b4 the tour starts to catch up on jet lag. Flights are becoming available now but it’s good to know which airlines are cheaper etc. Thanks for the info re spending money I reckon it’s best to have more than not enough so that’s what I will aim for!! Thanks again for the info it is much appreciated :-)

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.