Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Beaches and Reefs (Reverse) - Heaps of Questions

30 Oct 2008 TO_Girl said

Default_avatar
Hello,

I am considering doing the Beaches and Reefs reverse tour starting March 21/09 but I have a lot of questions that the brochure doesn't really answer and was hoping someone who had done the tour or a similar tour could help me.

1) How bad are the included meals and how easy is it to find something on your own? The last Contiki I did in Europe the meals were awful and I wished I had skipped them.

2) Is it worth doing the two-day sail in the Whitsundays? If you only do the one-day where do you go? I have been told not to miss Whitehaven Beach.

3) How much time do you get at the wildlife sanctuary in Currumbin? Yes, I am one of those people who really wants their picture with a koala, and I want to see other wildlife as well without feeling rushed.

4) What are the accommodations like? Do the rooms have private bathrooms attached or is it more like dorm style with everyone sharing? Or a mix of both?

5) How are the optionals organized? On my last tour there was never more than one at a time and the TM would tell you when and where to meet if you wanted to go. On this tour it looks like you'd have to pick and choose which ones you want to do because for some stops there are so many. I'm not sure how many I'd have time for in each place, for example there is quite a list for Surfers and you're only there one full day.

6) Would you recommend the half-day tour of Fraser Island or the full day? What does the half-day cover vs. the full day?

7) What would the weather be like in late March/early April along the east coast (average temperature)?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions but this is a lot just for a start. I'd appreciate any help you can give me! Cheers!
  • 11 Dec 2008 brcpar said

Default_avatar

1) How bad are the included meals and how easy is it to find something on your own? The last Contiki I did in Europe the meals were awful and I wished I had skipped them.

Meals aren’t bad that are provided and I would definitely recommend doing the extra dinners that are offered. If they still do the Dracula’s dinner, that is a must as it is an awesome place.

2) Is it worth doing the two-day sail in the Whitsundays? If you only do the one-day where do you go? I have been told not to miss Whitehaven Beach.
    I opted out of doing either of these, but those on my tour that did it enjoyed either one. Something else that Contiki doesn’t tell you is that you can actually organize your own day sail from shore before going over onto the island. We had a few people do this and they said they enjoyed it a lot and saved some $$.

3) How much time do you get at the wildlife sanctuary in Currumbin? Yes, I am one of those people who really wants their picture with a koala, and I want to see other wildlife as well without feeling rushed.

We got a couple hours here. The Koala pictures are right at the front and if you want one, you will get one. There is also a kangaroo petting area which is cool and tons of other wildlife.

4) What are the accommodations like? Do the rooms have private bathrooms attached or is it more like dorm style with everyone sharing? Or a mix of both?

This varies from place to place. Some are really awesome, but others are not. You shouldn’t really be in the rooms much anyway to be honest, there are soooo many things to do.

5) How are the optionals organized? On my last tour there was never more than one at a time and the TM would tell you when and where to meet if you wanted to go. On this tour it looks like you’d have to pick and choose which ones you want to do because for some stops there are so many. I’m not sure how many I’d have time for in each place, for example there is quite a list for Surfers and you’re only there one full day.

Everything is organized very well as I was quite impressed.

6) Would you recommend the half-day tour of Fraser Island or the full day? What does the half-day cover vs. the full day?

I did the half-day and had plenty of fun; I believe the full day goes to more of the island. Both go to the lake and it is the best part anyway in my opinion.

7) What would the weather be like in late March/early April along the east coast (average temperature)?

I went in May and it was VERY warm and since April isn’t too much earlier than that so I would expect it to be warm, but maybe a little chilly in the nights down south around Sydney.

I hope this helps.

• 9 Jan 2009 Kristina said

Default_avatar

Ed G, how long does it take to walk to Lake MacKenzie? If you did walk, how much time would you be able to spend there in order to get back for dinner?

• 28 Feb 2009 C8LYN said

C8LYN

I’ve been to Currumbin before. If you’re going to be there for the lorikeet feeding, I’d suggest taking a long sleeved shirt. From my experience with lorikeets, and pet birds, they have rather scratchy claws and you will have a lot of them landing on you and running up and down your arms (and on your head). I had a ton of small scratches all over my arms afterwards. It didn’t bother me because I’m use to it from my own birds, but there’s a heads-up.

My family has been visiting Fraser Island since I was a baby.
    We just got home from Fraser about 2 weeks ago after camping for 8 days.
    I’m not entirely sure what the tours would involve if you did the whole day. I’m sure they would take you up to Indian head because I’ve seen the buses there plenty of times. Dunno how much further they go..
    You don’t wanna miss Lake Mackenzie. It’s beautiful.
    I would highly suggest some good insect repellant. There’s a lot of march flies there at the moment because of all the rain.

As long as you don’t head too far south, the weather should be beautiful. My Grandma lives on the Gold Coast and she doesn’t own any long sleeve shirts. It’s even pretty nice in the middle of winter.

If you have any questions about Fraser, send me an e-mail. Pondy_88@hotmail.com

• 11 Jun 2009 patchie89 said

Default_avatar

Hi i am from aust so i haven’t done the tour, but i can answer a couple of questions.
    finding food in australia is easy. there will always be somewhere to eat and a range of choice and prices.

the whitsundays are beautiful.

even if accommodation is shared, it is likely it will be decent, eg. not dirty

the weather in march april should be a good temperature. however i find QLD rather windy at this time of the year and always chances of rain storms. bring some sort of rain jacket

• 6 Jul 2009 Explorer1084121 said

Default_avatar

surely the food is not that bad.

I had worse on my Christmas Cruise abroad the Pacific Sun N844 last year

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion