Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Desperate

10 Nov 2007 loz said

Default_avatar
Help Please answer past questions re camping Europe I have put off booking for 1 week to get some feedback I am going solo first time traveller
I check constantly for replies I am nervous about booking such a long holiday without hearing from Contiki travellers Good and Bad experiences PLEASE
  • 10 Nov 2007 Curtis71 said

Default_avatar

You’d be helping yourself a lot if you clearly stated exactly what information you are looking for.

I suggest you create a list of specific questions that you’re looking to get answered as your post is really overly general.

• 10 Nov 2007 aroundthe said

Default_avatar

I think you just looking for encouragement to take the plunge on a solo trip. I say do it! If you are social and a generally a good person you’ll be loads of people on your tour you’ll forget that you went to Europe solo in the first place. If you have specific question ask them.

• 10 Nov 2007 loz said

Default_avatar

Thankyou Curtis and Jo Okay here goes
    1. I am 18 female and a non drinker/smoker. After asking questions re this I was told to take up drinking Am I going to be the only one?
    2. As a first time traveller is this trip to long?
    3. Am I better to start with a motel type tour?
    4. Proposed holiday Aug 19th-Oct 3 I have conflicting reports on how hot it will be and am unsure of the best time to travel.
    5. Apart from tour cost and airfares, to get maximum benefit from the triphow much ‘spending money’ should I budget for.
    6. What is the best airline to travel with and what stopover?
    7. As I fly into London I would like to take a few days to tour there pre my tour. Do you know of any guided tours that go for 4 days maximum.
    Jo, you may be right, I am very nervous but really want to do it, I just want to plan a little as it is a lot of money and I don’t want to mess it up.

• 11 Nov 2007 ashleightara said

ashleightara

1. I am also not drinking on my tour, you should be fine. There is a mixture of people on all the tours, and not everyone will drink every night.

2. There is no such thing as a trip that is too long Smiler<!--graemlin::)--> Just make sure you pace yourself and take first aid to get you through mild sicknesses.

3. I’m starting with a hotel type tour, if you haven’t camped before I probably wouldn’t do that, unless your up for an adventure. But you can do a budget/concept tour with no problems. My advice is to read through some travelogues (check the section on this forum).

4. August-Oct is a good time to go, it won’t be too cold or too busy. As was mentioned August might be quiet as locals go on holidays, but June/July are the high peak times.

5. Budget for 100 Euros a day.

6. The airline that fits best with your budget and times is best for you, however, if you’d like a stopover that can be an influence. I wanted to stop in Dubai so I"m flying with Emirates similiarly if you wants to stop in Singapore, Malaysia etc. using their airline makes things much easier.

7. In London you don’t need to do a long tour, most people stay at the Royal National (its pretty central and is where the Contiki buses leave from). You can do an open top bus tour (bigbus.co.uk) to give you a chance to see the sights and get aquainted with the town. If you visit a tourist site (like visitlondon.com) you can get heaps of other info and maybe pick a day trip out side of London.

Hope that helps.

• 11 Nov 2007 loz said

Default_avatar

Thankyou Sooo Much. I am from Victoria Australia. Regardless of what tour I go on are there must see sites eg eiffel tower that are worth more than just a drive buy
    I feel much better about it now but am swaying towards motels a little more. The reason for the camping trip was maximum countries no motel tours seem to do as many in the one tour

• 11 Nov 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

Hey I just got back from 21 day camper, had a blast. Here’s my answers

1. I am 18 female and a non drinker/smoker. After asking questions re this I was told to take up drinking Am I going to be the only one?

You may be the only non-drinker but there will be no pressure to drink, and u can still go out and hav a good time. There was 1 non drinker on my tour and she still had a great time.

2. As a first time traveller is this trip to long?

Perhaps, it really depends how much u like camping and how long u can bare to be away from home. I know there were people on tour who had had enough of camping but there were others who wanted to go another 21 days

3. Am I better to start with a motel type tour?

As far as value for money goes nothing beats camping, and u will find socially the group is much tighter than the concept tours. I say camping all the way!!!

4. Proposed holiday Aug 19th-Oct 3 I have conflicting reports on how hot it will be and am unsure of the best time to travel.

I traveled Aug 25-Sept 17. Had 5 days of rain the rest of the time it was hot. It really depends where u are. Camping is still good fun in the rain.

5. Apart from tour cost and airfares, to get maximum benefit from the triphow much ‘spending money’ should I budget for.

To get the most $AUD 100 a day would be ideal.

6. What is the best airline to travel with and what stopover?

I flew Thai, stopping in Singapore. The best airline for a budget, flying out of Melb u get a plane with personal screens. However the Bangkok-London leg is on an old 747, this is good if u can sleep. You will definately stop in Asia, unless u fly Emirates where u will stop in Dubai. The stopover doesnt matter, as its only a few hours.

7. As I fly into London I would like to take a few days to tour there pre my tour. Do you know of any guided tours that go for 4 days maximum.

Save your money go see it all yourself. A 3 day tube card costs u 20 pounds, where a one day hop on-hop off bus costs 21 pounds. Research wat u wanna see. Every major attraction is reachable by tube.

Any more questions or just wanna discuss goin on a camper e-mail me: neufeld_911@hotmail.com

-josh

• 11 Nov 2007 jess******* said

Default_avatar

Hey loz, i wrote something in reply to another one fo your questions, but have just seen these ones so will answer them for you!!

1. Ok so as for the non-drinking thing, drinking was a big part of our tour, but you didnt have to participate, nobody is forcing you and nobody will care if you are not drinking! Just dont feel like you have to just because everyone else is! While there werent any non-drinkers on our tour, there will always be someone not drinking with you on any given night, no one can sustain it for 46 days!! (except maybe some of the boys haha).

2. 46 days camping is pretty damn intense but if you think you can handle it you will be fine!! We stayed in hotels/hostels in a few places and had the opportunity to pay extra to stay in cabins in a few other places so actually you dont spend 46 days in a tent!
    I didnt think it was long enough, but everybody is different!
    Some people did find it tougher than others thou and by the end they were sick of travelling and got home sick… Again it can be a very intense trip but i loved every minutte of it!

3. I dont think you are necessarily better off starting in hotels. I agree with Jo thou that camping tours party harder, but they also tend to be a younger age group which may suit you more. Again its an individual thing, it doesnt bother me where i sleep, you spend such little time there that it hardly matters.

4. Ok weather, i was under the impression it would be warm for the whole tour. My tour was the same time of year late Aug to early Oct.
    It rained ALOT!! It wasnt ever extremely hot (well never like australian summers!!) and by the end from budapest onwards it got quite cool. At night it was FREEZING!!!! I had to buy warm clothes cos i was frozen in my tent! But it was still fun, and at alot of places you can pay a little extra to stay in a cabin…

5. I spent just over $4000 Australian for 46 days, so $100 Australian a day would be good… I budgeted myself a bit, didnt do much shopping, ate at cheaper places but i did all the optionals!! You will save money by not drinking cos i did a fair bit of that!

6. I travelled with Singapore, they were really good, the airport is really good, lots to do if you are stuck there for ages!!
    Um if you are actually stopping in the country for a few days thou i would personally go Thai, just because i love Bangkok!
    This is flying from Aus, not sure where you would be flying from!!

7. I wouldnt do a tour personally in London, its easy enough to do yourself! I stayed at a hostel and met a few people who i did sightseeing with! Its def cheaper to do it that way…

• 28 Nov 2007 loz said

Default_avatar

Thanks everyone Ipay for my flights tomorrow am booked on the 46 day camping trip from Aug 19th-Oct 3rd. This is probably a stupid question but are you met at the airport by Contiki or do you have to make your own way to Royal National? If so how?

• 28 Nov 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

Take the tube PICADILLY LINE (Dark Blue) to Russel Square Station. The train will be heading to Cockfosters (yes I laughed too). Once you get to Russel Sq station, take the lift (NOT THE STAIRS) to the ‘surface’. You turn left out of the station then turn right at the traffic lights and its the huge building that takes up the next block on the right across the road. You cant miss it.

Need help? Ask the station staff, they are awesome and they will tease you if you are Aussie.

• 28 Nov 2007 real_mccoy said

Default_avatar

My last post is only relevant if you are flying into HEATHROW.
    If you are flying into Gatwick, Luton or Stansted its totally different, as you will have to take National Rail services to Kings Cross then change to the tube

• 28 Nov 2007 aroundthe said

Default_avatar

You can also take the Heathrow express train non stop to Paddington Sation. It’s faster, a little more comfortable, nonstop however a little price 28 GBP for a round trip then take the tube to Russel Square.Take the Bakerloo Line towards Elephant & Castle then take Take the Piccadilly Line towards Cockfosters
    or Piccadilly Line towards Arnos Grove. Then follow Mccoy’s direction from Russel Sq. Should take you no more then 45mins to get there.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.