Community_discussions_small  

Question

How much did you rack up in fees overseas?

9 Jun 2007 Steftacular asked

Steftacular
Im really not excited about the amount of money ill be losing to transaction fees, exchange rates, atm fees, etc.....Just curious how much other people spent......yey, fun - thanks!
  • 9 Jun 2007 LorneB said

LorneB

I did not lose anything in transaction fees but I did the Amsterdam to Barcelona tour and spent 600euros. Drinks, food , metro, souvenirs and presents took most of it.

• 10 Jun 2007 Steftacular said

Steftacular
    quote:
    Originally posted by NickeySixx:
    I didn’t realize that my bank was charging me “international fees” so instead of going to ATM’s all the time I’d just use my bank card. When I got home I found that for every transaction I was charged anywhere from $1-$8 depending on how much I spent! If I had to do it again I’d get more money out of the ATMs and just pay the one time fee.

What bank did you use? (seeing as we’re both from long beach.. haha)

Steftacular

Yeah Im considering opening an account with a credit union cause I head they give better rates – but my US Bank is 3% transaction fee with a $2 atm fee + conversion rates and whatever the international atm charges… and then my Citibank is 3% transaction fee + conversion rates for debit purchases, and then for atm theres a $2 fee as well … but apperantly theres supposed to be alot of Citi atms and branches throughout europe (so they say) so I can avoid transaction and atm charges… but we’ll see i guess haha

moral of the story, im not brining that much money to begin with (due to some unforseen circumstances) so these fees are going to hurt! I was just seeing what I should expect to budget for these fees….

I can get currency ordered by my bank for free and was considering that – but from what ive read on the boards they dont suggest doing that, it may be my best bet for me to start off on though….

so many decisions, so little time! my friend that works at citi had me open an account and said that he could put a fee waiver on my account and waive any and all fees while im overseas which is awesome, so i opened an account, and today he said that they changed the system and now he cant do it – so thus the reason for the last minute scramble, in case anyone cared hahaha

Steftacular

yeah, i would get a credit card if i could … but part of my unforseen circumstances im maxed out and cant get approved for a new one – yey me! haha …. but thanks, have fun in GREECE!

• 10 Jun 2007 MJ said

Default_avatar

I bank with Compass bank and I don’t get charged ANY fees at all. The ones I do get charged even overseas I just save the reciept and present it to the bank and get my money back. Also a friend told me that there are no fees if you get money back from the McDonalds at least in Italy when she went.

Rome, Sorrento, Athens Getaway Sept 21-30

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.