Community_discussions_small  

Comment

tipping in australia

27 Feb 2008 Explorer1088038 said

Default_avatar
hey,
this goes out to those that live, or have travelled to australia.

do you tend to tip? if so, for what.

did you tip the tour manager, and driver?
  • 28 Feb 2008 Gemma said

Default_avatar

hey i live in australia..and we never tip..well no one i does..like some people do but its not liek an expected thing.

• 28 Feb 2008 PinaI said

PinaI

Tipping is not customary for cabs, restaurants etc however, Contiki recommend that you tip the driver and tour manager, as per all other Contiki tours.

There are those of us here who do leave a bit extra in restaurants, bars or cafes but you won’t be frowned upon if you don’t, that’s for sure!

EDIT: I think it’s more of a European thing to tip too. I live here and I do tip in most restaurants/cafes because I appreciate the work they do (I also spent 10 years working in hospitality and I know how hard it is)! Of all the people I know though, I find that most of my european friends tip whereas the Australian’s don’t.

• 28 Feb 2008 bren.18 said

bren.18

I live in Australia,

and not many Australians know that tipping in restaurants, taxi’s, etc is actually against the law.

but then again, because its illegal, doesn’t mean it doesn’t still happen haha

• 28 Feb 2008 Explorer1088038 said

Default_avatar

this is amazing info!!!

thanks!!!

• 29 Feb 2008 Wojtek_TO said

Wojtek_TO

We were in a Subway in Alice Springs, I saw a sign with a job posting paying somewhere around $17 an hour [yes Subway]. Australian wait staff make a much fairer wage than their north american counterparts and have less need for tips.

• 29 Feb 2008 Explorer1088038 said

Default_avatar

$17!!! that’s crazy!!!

i think waiters in toronto make half that!!!

• 29 Feb 2008 Mel said

Mel

…really, $17 is like the minimum wage in australia.

anyhow, no one tips in australia – i have never seen it done ever nor is expected. spend your money on drinks and souviners!

• 1 Mar 2008 Wojtek_TO said

Wojtek_TO

Not sure if it is still the case today, but in the past, wait staff did not even qualify for minimum wage. That said, I had friends working in nice restaurants, bringing home $100-200 a night in cash [having made only like $40 in wages for the night].

• 2 Mar 2008 sehz_nt said

Default_avatar

Tipping is not customary in Australia, however, say you went to a nice restaurant for dinner and the food and service was great, you might leave a little extra cash as a tip. Other than that, once you get to 18 years of age, the wage is pretty good. For example, I worked at a fast food place when I was 15 and was on $5 an hour but by the time I turned 18 and was working at a department store I was on $18 an hour. Pretty good for that kind of job I reckon.

• 2 Mar 2008 Bernie said

Default_avatar

As others have said, absolutely no need to tip. However, if some people do tend to if they feel that they have been given excellent service above and beyond what the staff are required to give.

Don’t even think about tipping if you’re anywhere other than a restaurant or taxi, and then only in exceptional circumstances. It’s just not done.

• 5 Mar 2008 EmJay87 said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by bren.18:
    I live in Australia,

and not many Australians know that tipping in restaurants, taxi’s, etc is actually against the law.

but then again, because its illegal, doesn’t mean it doesn’t still happen haha

where did u pull this $hit from?

• 5 Mar 2008 Crowbar101 said

Crowbar101

Who ever said that tipping is illegal is a fool. its not illegal. no one tips in australia. unless you where happy with the serivice or so on you might leave a few bucks but thats about it people dont give a crap if you dont tip them

• 10 Mar 2008 Explorer1090610 said

Default_avatar

It is against the law to tip a public official in Australia, for example a police officer or government employee. Other than that if you really wanted to tip in a restaurant or taxi you can but it is not the norm. Sometimes you might tell someone to keep the change but that really the extent of it. You can if you want, but no one expects it Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 12 Mar 2008 said

Default_avatar

Hi,

I went on a contiki tour and I didn’t tip, and it’s not like they expect it. So tipping should be the last thing on your mind when you are taking a trip. As it is you already have to budget and Australia isn’t the cheapest country in the world. So if you “feel” like giving someone a tip because they were awesome, but I wouldn’t make it a daily occurance.

Trina

• 29 Mar 2008 Jesikaa said

Default_avatar

In a restaurant I always tip, so do my friends… if the service was good, if you don’t tip, no one will judge or care, its just not the norm here. I’m going to the US in July and will be totally out of my comfort zone having to tip for everything. I’m used to handing over my money and getting the correct change back no questions…

Also advice, if you try to tip some people, they won’t know what to do with it LOL. I’ve worked in mostly hospitality and most of the staff including myself keep trying to give the money back lol.

If in doubt, chuck some loose change in the “Tips” cup at the register Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 31 Mar 2008 Danni said

Default_avatar

Coming from someone living in Aust. bring on the tips, lol, we dont usually get them Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

In hospitality you might leave a little because we dont add service charges to our bills (unless its a sunday or public holiday).

I would bother with most taxi’s, i dont find them to be that great, the ones ive come across are rude, barely english speaking and dont know where they are going, unless u have a really awesome one, dont leave a cent.

Ultimately its your choie though

• 9 May 2008 Emma said

Default_avatar

For the Americans and maybe the Europeans another difference here is that tax is nearly always included in the advertised price. I know when i went to America it used to confuse me the the price marked on a board at Mcdonalds for example would say one thing but the person serving me would say another price.

As for tipping, some cafes and resturaunts will have a tip jar. You can put money in there and i think it gets shared amoungst all staff but yeah our wages here are very good even if we dont always think they are.

hope it helps

• 18 May 2008 explorer87 said

Default_avatar

definitely not expected but always appreciated. I am from Australia and the only people i ever tip are restaurants and i only do that if the service was particularly good.

• 2 Jun 2008 Amanda said

Default_avatar

Not tipping would be such a culture shock!

I didn’t have enough change this morning when I bought a coffee so I couldn’t leave a tip and I got a nasty glare… looks like I’ll be waiting extra long tomorrow!

• 2 Jun 2008 Samantha said

Samantha

The only time I tip is if there is a bowl or something near the cash register and they have given great service and I’m feeling generous. You won’t need to do it at all and some people might get offended or the boss will find out and give the money right back to you. Those tip jars are the best if you want to leave something. Either that, or just ask.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.