Community_discussions_small  

Comment

tipping in australia

27 Feb 2008 Explorer1088038 said

Default_avatar
hey,
this goes out to those that live, or have travelled to australia.

do you tend to tip? if so, for what.

did you tip the tour manager, and driver?
  • 6 Sep 2009 resatdorsia said

resatdorsia

hey i live in Australia and it is not customary to tip. So don’t worry about it. I mean if you feel like the service you receive is amazing, by all means tip. I have worked as a waitress before and whenever i got a tip i felt really awkward and didnt know what to do with it. Sometimes i got tipped and my managers saw and yelled at me to put it in the tip jar, so i ended up giving it to them. lol pretty annoyed because after all it was the service i gave to the customers.

enjoy Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->
    Bethany

• 24 Sep 2009 JenShep said

JenShep

FYI

Tipping in australia is not illegal, it is just suppose to be declared on an employees income for tax perposes.

Tips are not expected however always appriciated.

• 10 Nov 2009 chris1989 said

Default_avatar

i’ve lived in australia my whole life and have seen someone tip only a fe times, if the service was spctacular or we were drunk and happy. in australia the hospitality industry earns a higher age than the northen countries. i help out at my friends restaurant and earn A$18.50 a hour, so there is no real eed to tip over here as they earn a very decent wage. hope that was helful for you!!!

• 16 Nov 2009 Hanski said

Hanski

its not compulsory to tip in australia. sometimes restaurants/cafes have a bowl where you can tip, but they dont expect you to Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Dec 2009 TashD said

TashD

i worked in the bars in Australia and yes tipping helps you to get served quicker and nicer…. but its definitly not expected not like it is in Europe and other countries!!

• 3 Jan 2010 Explorer1153085 said

Default_avatar

Hey i live in sydney and work in hospitality and have got to say tipping is really rare. I only get it because i work in a corporate hotel and even then its not really expected.

• 9 Jun 2010 Explorer1186655 said

Default_avatar

from what ive heard more australians are doing it now.

• 11 Dec 2010 EatPrayLove said

EatPrayLove

I wouldn’t bother with tipping here. Save your hard earned cash and spend it on other stuff for yourselves and enjoy your trip Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 18 Jan 2011 JackDarcy said

Default_avatar

No time is bad for a trip to Australia. Though summers are a perfect time to enjoy the beach, innumerable people can find it to be a big problem due to the excessive heat. As such the spring and autumn are the best time to explore the place.

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.