Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Real Travel

25 Nov 2006 realtravel said

Default_avatar
I have traveled extensively around Europe and other parts of the world. My advice is to travel alone or with a friend/friends; you will get MUCH more out of your experience than being herded around like sheep on a tour, visiting only tourist spots and only meeting other people (probably from your own country) who are also on the tour (and probably are not very interesting/adventurous themselves either, being that they travel only on tours). Tours are for tourists, not for real travelers. The only reason to even consider one is if you think you are traveling to someplace that might be dangerous, or if you don't want to plan your own itinerary, but if you have this mentality (especially about Europe) then you are better off not traveling.
  • 25 Nov 2006 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Well said … from someone who probably has not been on a Contiki or didn’t get along with anyone on his/her tour.

It’d be nice if they actually signed with some sort of name instead of hiding behind “realtravel”.

Think I should delete this post … What do you guys think? … hehehe

- Vic

• 25 Nov 2006 ptooma said

Default_avatar

Indeed everyone is entitled to their opinion and it hasn’t violated any TOS so it’s not going anywhere.

So realtravel, if you do return to these boards, who are you? Have you ever done a Contiki? If not, then your opinion is far from being an informed one, maybe more so, an ignorant conceited view that only your form of travel is acceptable. And BTW, what defines a “real traveler”? Yes many Contiki tours are a nicely packaged quick snapshot sampling of various destinations, but it does not make us any less of a traveler.

BTW, I disagree with your statement:

quote:
    meeting other people (probably from your own country) who are also on the tour (and probably are not very interesting/adventurous themselves either, being that they travel only on tours).

my roommate on my last tour was from Japan which is very far from where I live and he didn’t speak a lick of English. But we got along just fine and I learned quite a lot about Japanese lifestyle and culture.

-Vic

• 26 Nov 2006 CanadaJess said

Default_avatar

I don’t know about anyone else but I am taking a tour with contiki because I do not have the TIME to plan my own trip as I am busy getting a University Degree and doing relevant training. (I am a Theatre Design major so I am doing things with different theatres 24/7!!) I am glad that realtravel has the time to sit around for days on end planning these trips but I definately do not! And what is so bad about meeting people from other countries other than the ones you are going to?!? I never get that argument. I am up for meeting anyone, not just people from that certain country. THAT is what makes travelling fun. Sorry I am just stressed with school and work and annoyed by offending comments!

• 27 Nov 2006 RamonaH said

Default_avatar

I find the whole post unnecessary. If this person thinks contiki is silly or childish, why is he/she even on the contiki website! Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

• 28 Nov 2006 ptooma said

Default_avatar
    quote:
    Originally posted by cdm115:

I think you should leave the post up so we can pick it apart.

Hey Chrissy, that’s why I left it. Big Grin<!--graemlin::D--> … I haven’t deleted any messages – only move messages around … like all the newbies ( < 10 posts) looking for tour mates in the advice section.

– Vic

• 8 Dec 2006 Meeow said

Default_avatar

Hi everyone.

I’m not going overseas until the year 2008 because i havn’t got the money together yet but i have already decided that i want to go through contiki. I live in NZ and europe is over the other side of the world and i wouldn’t even know where to start. I just like the idea of being in a tour group with other people with a guide who knows where they are going. I think my parents would feel better knowing that i am in a tour group rather than on my own and since i can’t speak the language to save myself i think i better stick to a tour

More Discussions

Follow this Discussion