Community_discussions_small  

Comment

going alone

28 Jul 2009 Explorer1138683 said

Default_avatar
was thinkin about doing an Australian trip and was wondering what its like to go single? are most of the people on the tour on their own or are most of them couples? do u make friends easily?
  • 29 Jul 2009 Dave said

Default_avatar

i’m going alone, on my trip in October… i’m hoping that there aren’t too many couples, and just single people looking to have fun and meet new people. that’s my reasoning for going away.

• 2 Aug 2009 ashley_h said

Default_avatar

I went on a Contiki by myself last year to Egypt, and it was great. There were a few couples, but mostly everyone else were solo’s. Had so much fun and am still in contact with a few people.

One thing that helped me out was these forums. I met a fellow traveller on the forum who, like me, arrived a day earlier and we had a blast just hanging out and touring around Cairo on our own.

I am going to Australia/New Zealand in one month on a Contiki, solo again, and I can’t wait.

• 6 Aug 2009 jenameriwether said

jenameriwether

I’m going alone to and i’m freaked hahaha. I hope it goes well did people have a good time on their own?

• 6 Aug 2009 Goska84 said

Goska84

I’m also going alone for the first time…doing Bridge to Reef tour Nov 5th. Can’t wait!! I think a lot of people go alone so don’t worry Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 10 Aug 2009 DaveM said

Default_avatar

On my tour there were actually no couples on the tour, if there were people together they were usually friends of the same sex, and really wanting to meet new people.

I know that not have ANY couples is likely a rarity, but from what I heard there isn’t usually a large presence of them, and if they’re going on the tour in the first place they’re probably really easy going and outgoing.

• 14 Aug 2009 Jess S said

Default_avatar

I think contiki’s the best way to go it alone. I did a month long European in ‘06, and will be doing a New Zealand and Australia one next month. It takes the burden out of figuring out how to get around unfamiliar places, especially if you’re a solo female traveller. It’s nice because you can go off on your own, or stay with a big group, or with one person – whatever you’re in the mood for that day. I like that there were so many people from all over the world on the tours. I am from the US and there was not one single other American, so that was a nice cultural change – on top of experiencing so many other countries cultures that we travelled through. I say do it!

• 15 Aug 2009 TimTammer said

TimTammer

Going alone I think is better because you can do what you want and if you bring a friend and don’t want to do the same thing, it could lead to some tension.

As for making friends I was nervous as well but it worked out fine for me, I did the Reefs and Rainforests tour last February and had a blast.

As said most people are solo’s

• 30 Aug 2009 Maid Marian said

Maid Marian

Hey all! I went on a 3 week Australia tour by myself in April and I absolutely loved it! By far the majority of people were travelling alone, but you really didn’t think about it because everyone made friends so quickly. The best thing about Contiki is that you spend lots of time with the group, so you naturally make friends, plus you’re put in a room with 3 others usually, so it’s so easy to meet people.

It’s natural to be a bit worried before you leave as you’re heading into the unknown, but you’ll have an amazing time.

We had a couple of people who were travelling with another friend, and we had one honeymooning couple, but that was it. On a full coach, at least 95% of people had come by themselves.

By the end of the trip, I’d got really close to 2 other people on the tour, and we actually met up in London the other weekend, which was brilliant. I’m now also in a relationship with someone I met on tour, which just goes to show that you never know who you might meet on Contiki!!

Have a fab time… Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.