Community_discussions_small  

Comment

Ancestry Visa/British Passport

18 Oct 2007 Haylz_55 said

Default_avatar
Hi all,
Does anyone have any info on applying an ancestry visa, and how to apply?

Also, we are after some info on how and who is able to get a British passport?
  • 18 Oct 2007 aroundthe said

Default_avatar
    quote:

The main requirements are:1

a grandparent born in the United Kingdom, Channel Islands and Isle of Man at any time; or a grandparent born in what is now the Republic of Ireland on or before March 31, 1922.
    a citizen of a Commonwealth country (it does not matter how citizenship was acquired). Zimbabwe remains a Commonwealth country for visa purposes.
    aged 17 or over
    intends to undertake employment
    able to support oneself in the United Kingdom without recourse to public funds.
    quote:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancestry_Visa

You’ll most likely apply at the British Embassy in your home country.

More information on British passport and such can be found at http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/passports-and-immigration/…rts-and-immigration/

• 19 Oct 2007 Jords said

Default_avatar
    http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp?id=46

the above link details the specifics on who is eligible to apply for a bristish passport. usually a parent, either mother of father (if you are born before 1983 its father only), must have been born in the UK, making you a “British National” and eligible to apply for a passport. Its quite expensive compared to an aussie passport (aussie passport is just under $200 whereas british passport is $325)

Jords
  • 3 Jan 2008 Sarah007 said

Default_avatar

just a quick question on this that im hoping someone will be able to help me with Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

does one need a UK working visa if they have a British Passport…i cant seem to find an answer anywhere (im planning to work in the UK after my contiki tour).

Thanks in advance to any replies Smiler<!--graemlin::)-->

• 4 Jan 2008 Jords said

Default_avatar

hi sarah

nope a birtish passport is your golden ticket to working in the UK, no visas are required. I have also read that holder sof brit passports are also allowed to work in the Schnegen zone (all european union countries) using their brit passport instead of having to get a visa…however i think their is a restrction on how many days of teh year you are allowed to work in the region.

You can stay as long as you want working in the UK

When are you goin?
    Jords

• 4 Jan 2008 Anney said

Default_avatar

I’m pretty sure that you can work without restrictions in the Schengen states if you have a British passport. Has something to do with the fact that Britain is also part of the EU. I could be wrong so I would just check it out with the British embassy.

I have a friend who is an EU citizen and she is allowed to work anywhere in the EU so I can’t think why it would be different for British citizens.

• 6 Jan 2008 Sarah007 said

Default_avatar

hey guys…thanks for the responses!!!

I have been told that im lucky to be able to get a British passport…thanks for the confirmation on what i had heard elsewhere.

Im heading over in August…still 7 months away, but time flies so fast i have to be organised!!
    Big Grin<!--graemlin::D-->

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.