Community_discussions_small  

Question

European trip advice, summer 2014

7 Oct 2013 Joe G asked

Joe G

I have seen some other threads like this, but I wanted to start another:

What did you wish you had seen or which excursion did you wish you hadn't have gone on? Anything you wouldn't have packed or wished you had? How much money do you wish you had with you or how much did you take that was just right?

I have done 4 Contiki's over the past 13 years and I know there are plenty of things I wish I had done and wished like hell I would have brought with me. i want to keep this topic on Europe, so if anyone has some epic, or horror, stories about their trips, post it here! Also, if there are any questions about what to bring, spend, see, post here as well.

I look forward to hearing from everyone!!

www.facebook.com/CelticJoeG

• 8 Oct 2013 BrookemarleySA said

BrookemarleySA

Hi, Have any of your past contiki’s been camping ones? I have booked the easy rider for may 13th :-)

• 8 Oct 2013 Joe G said

Joe G

No. I have only done the budget and superior tours. I hear the camping tours are awesome though.

• 8 Oct 2013 BrookemarleySA said

BrookemarleySA

Ok cool. I have acouple of questions :-)
    So where in europe has been your favourite place so far? Im most looking forward to switzerland?
    What was the most over-rated ME time optional?
    and what did you regret not doing?

• 8 Oct 2013 Joe G said

Joe G

I have to start with I am going on the European Experience tour leaving 20 May, so I will talk about what I liked about Budget tours:

I loved Switzerland. Going to the top of Jungfrau was amazing! It was one of the best days in Europe. Paris is unbelievable. Make sure whatever tour you do, if Paris is the first city you go to from London, make sure you’re full day is not on a Tuesday. The museums are closed. You will miss the Mona Lisa and others. Try to leave on a Thursday departure.

Speaking of Paris. I have heard the Can-can show is the most overrated optional, however I really regretted not going. It’s your first really big night out with the group and you miss so quality bonding time. So, unless you can get a group together to go out to a club or to the Moulin Rouge, go on the optional.

In general, don’t miss out on optionals because you think they might be lame. Remember, the people who are on tour with you will help make the experience and you really don’t know WHAT you will enjoy. Try every kind of different food. Even if you don’t like it, suck it up and pretend. You will regret not trying different things or always settling for the safety of a pizzeria or McDonald’s. Do the research. Just look up the cities you will be stopping in and search “street food”. Be fearless. Everyone will be following you when you go to get lunch. Also, buy a good guide book before you go. Just get one of the ones on Europe that has lots of pictures. The last thing you want to do is post a video on YouTube of you on top of the Eiffel Tower and you don’t even know the sights you are zooming in on.

Hope this helps.

• 8 Oct 2013 Joe G said

Joe G

I have to start with I am going on the European Experience tour leaving 20 May, so I will talk about what I liked about Budget tours:

I loved Switzerland. Going to the top of Jungfrau was amazing! It was one of the best days in Europe. Paris is unbelievable. Make sure whatever tour you do, if Paris is the first city you go to from London, make sure you’re full day is not on a Tuesday. The museums are closed. You will miss the Mona Lisa and others. Try to leave on a Thursday departure.

Speaking of Paris. I have heard the Can-can show is the most overrated optional, however I really regretted not going. It’s your first really big night out with the group and you miss so quality bonding time. So, unless you can get a group together to go out to a club or to the Moulin Rouge, go on the optional.

In general, don’t miss out on optionals because you think they might be lame. Remember, the people who are on tour with you will help make the experience and you really don’t know WHAT you will enjoy. Try every kind of different food. Even if you don’t like it, suck it up and pretend. You will regret not trying different things or always settling for the safety of a pizzeria or McDonald’s. Do the research. Just look up the cities you will be stopping in and search “street food”. Be fearless. Everyone will be following you when you go to get lunch. Also, buy a good guide book before you go. Just get one of the ones on Europe that has lots of pictures. The last thing you want to do is post a video on YouTube of you on top of the Eiffel Tower and you don’t even know the sights you are zooming in on.

Hope this helps.

• 10 Oct 2013 BrookemarleySA said

BrookemarleySA

Hi again
    Yes I deffinatly plan to go on the jungfrau optional, It os one of the main things I am looking forward to. I also have never seen snow before so very excited about that lol
    Yep Paris is the first place I go to after London, so I will check to see if it will fall on a tuesday or not, thanks for the tip :-)
    Basically I plan to do all of the optionals (I have budgeted to do all of them incase I do decide to do all of them) I thought since I am travelling on my own that I would join in on the optionals as I dont want to distance myself from the group too much. The only one I may not do is the flamenco show in barcelona, as I only have one full day there and I have quite afew things I would like to try and squish in if possible.
    As for food I eat pretty much anything and trying new foods is one of the main things I look forward to when going overseas :-) I just have to watch out for peanuts.
    I have already purchased a couple of guidebooks so I am covered there, I always get them when I go anywhere as I find them so helpful.
    Thanks for your reply, was very helpful

• 15 Oct 2013 BrookemarleySA said

BrookemarleySA

I went back and checked to see if I was in Paris on a tuesday, it turns out my tour leaves London on a Tuesday and arrives in Paris later that night. But my two full sightseeing days in Paris are on a Wednesday and a Thursday so that should work out well :-)

Questions?

x

Visas? Money? Where to go? Chat to us about travel.